News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC w/o STB

Started by ddeerrff, Friday Jan 09, 2009, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddeerrff

Hello.  I'm new to the forum, trying to get up to speed on DTV/HDTV issues before taking the plunge into a new HDTV and programming.

I currently have TWC standard tier analog service.  The analog TV does all the channel selection and I do not have any type of set top box.  I receive all the channels in the lineup just fine that way.  I *like* not having a STB.  

I understand that TWC uses QAM on the cable for digital content.  All new HDTVs list QAM tuners as standard.  Using the TV's built in QAM tuner, will I be able to receive all the default stations that TW include in the 'Digital package'?  

I would guess that if I added any DTV/HDTV content beyond the basic, that those new signals would be scrambled QAM and I *would* need a STB to get those. Correct?

If I have to, a cable card would be preferable to me rather than a STB.  But I have not seen any HDTVs advertised to have the ability to take a cable card.  Are there any out there?

Thanks,
Derf

ArgMeMatey

There are some HDTVs that take cable cards, I believe.  I wasn't looking for one but I am pretty sure I saw them on my late 2008 search for LCDs with two RF inputs.  

Regarding programming, I can't say what you will get on standard but for basic see my post in this other thread ...

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8345

Will

Quote from: ddeerrff;49983Using the TV's built in QAM tuner, will I be able to receive all the default stations that TW include in the 'Digital package'?

I don't think so.  QAM will only get you the locals, from what I've read.  There are other posts on the forum that have updated lists of channels available.  Others can answer this better than I, as I don't have cable.

QuoteIf I have to, a cable card would be preferable to me rather than a STB.  But I have not seen any HDTVs advertised to have the ability to take a cable card.  Are there any out there?

Thanks,
Derf

It sounds like what you're after is CableCard's replacement, tru2way.  It's designed to replace the STB.  EngadgetHD is a good place to follow news about tru2way.  

TW in Milwaukee seems to be a bit behind the times, so I doubt they have this rolled out yet.  (edit: just checked wikipedia -- they don't; it's only in select markets now.)  But if you really don't want a STB, you might consider buying a tru2way capable TV so you're ready when TW is.

Good luck.

Will

ddeerrff

Thanks ArgMeMatey.  I do have Road Runner also.  So if I went out tonight and bought a replacement for that old analog set and did nothing with my cable subscription, I would be able to receive everything I am currently receiving via the built in NTSC tuner and the 'local' digital content via the the built in QAM tuner.  Right?

Thanks Will.  Tru2way sounds like what I had previously seen referred to as the next generation cablecard.  Yes, that would be what I would be looking for.  I was under the impression that TW Milwaukee did support the original cable cards, just not the 2-way versions.  

Anyone know of any 46-52 inch HDTVs that support the cablecard/tru2way option?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: ddeerrff;49987Thanks ArgMeMatey.  I do have Road Runner also.  So if I went out tonight and bought a replacement for that old analog set and did nothing with my cable subscription, I would be able to receive everything I am currently receiving via the built in NTSC tuner and the 'local' digital content via the the built in QAM tuner.  Right?

Anyone know of any 46-52 inch HDTVs that support the cablecard/tru2way option?

1.  Right.  
2.  Sorry, not me.  But if you have money to burn and can't find anything decent with that option, check out the Samsung LNxxA950 sets with LED backlighting.  I have last year's model and the black levels are fantastic.

nick3092

Quote from: ddeerrff;49987Anyone know of any 46-52 inch HDTVs that support the cablecard/tru2way option?

Last I heard only Comcast was testing tru2way in Chicago, Denver, Northern Colorado and Colorado Springs.  Also, AFAIK only Panasonic has any tru2way TV's available (two of them, 42" and 50" plasmas).  Rumor is though, if you buy one, it has to be installed by the retailer.  And only available in those markets listed above.

Will

There's more news on the tru2way front.  According to engadget, "Most markets will be tru2way ready by July 1st."  Story here.  After that, you just have to wait for the TVs that have tru2way capability...

ddeerrff

It sounds like, at least for now, a set top box is the practical way to go.  Just strikes me as a waste that the TV has built in ATSC, NTSC, and QAM tuners, and you end up basically just using it as a monitor.  

That and those TWC remote controls I've seen strike me as awful.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: ddeerrff;50140It sounds like, at least for now, a set top box is the practical way to go.  Just strikes me as a waste that the TV has built in ATSC, NTSC, and QAM tuners, and you end up basically just using it as a monitor.  

Of concern to some ... If those STBs have HDMI connections, another issue is that HDMI will not pass closed captioning, so you have to turn captions on & off on the STB.  I don't think component video supports captioning either.  This is progress, folks.

LowSignal

I got my grandparent uverse and the "Vizio" Tv is setup with HDMI to the STB. I turned on CC on the TV and it works just fine. I don't see why the TWC STB would be any different.