News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NBC to add HDTV in prime time

Started by oflaherty, Thursday May 09, 2002, 11:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oflaherty

From Broadcasting & Cable:

NBC to add HDTV in prime time

5/9/2002 10:43:00 AM

NBC will do more of its prime time lineup in high-definition television next season, according to network officials.
The network has been criticized as an HDTV laggard relative to CBS and ABC for offering only one prime time show, Crossing Jordan, in HDTV (it also does The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in late-night).
NBC officials said no final decisions have been made on which shows will be offered in HDTV, but the orders will be made soon after Monday's upfront.
Privately, NBC officials were a little touchy on the criticism they've received over their HDTV offerings. Sure CBS and ABC offer most of their prime time in high-definition, they said, but NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series.
In partnership with Mark Cuban's HDNet, NBC has carried the Olympic Games, several National Basketball Association games and now the Triple Crown in HDTV. More high-definition sports programming is on the way, as well, network officials said.

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved
---
Sean at TMJ

Joseph S

QuoteSure CBS and ABC offer most of their prime time in high-definition, they said, but NBC has been a leader in sports, which, along with movies, is expected to be a better driver of HDTV viewership than regular series.

Sean, I know that is not your article, but even you must realize that 98% of it just plain incorrect.

NBC should be touchy about the subject. Leno is fantastic in quality, but to only have Crossing Jordan in HD is a shame. ABC and CBS have dramas on almost every night and feature movies regularly in HD.

HDNet is the clear leader in sports. For OTA, I would say CBS is the leader due to College Football and Basketball coverage. HD Net did all of the Olympics coverage and paid for the Dallas NBA games as well for NBC.

ABC(OTA) and HBO/Showtime are the leaders in movies by far. NBC is showing "LA Law," but I don't even remember another movie they've done in HD at all. ABC has done Bonds on Sat and nearly every Sunday they have another HD movie presentation.

At least, the higher-ups at NBC are planning to make much needed changes.

Hearst-Argyle just continues to blames ABC for all their mismanagement in broadcasting. What station is that by the way??  

My TV only gets PBS, NBC, and CBS for some reason on both digital and analog.  

[This message has been edited by Joseph S (edited 05-10-2002).]

tenth_t2

Hearst-Argyle just continues to blames ABC for all their mismanagement in broadcasting. What station is that by the way??

You mean here?!?!??  ABC is ch 12, WISN I think they are allocated 33 for digital broadcast.  ABC is also ch26 in Madison.

Yes, NBC has done a few misc. events in HD, and more prime time offerings would be very welcome.  I have to admit (like Matt) I've been sucked in by Crossing Jordan.  In the past, Monday was another SpeedTV night for me.

NBC ought to do ER in HD since they already are messing with the screen sizes anyway....

Matt Heebner

I am glad that NBC is commited to doing more prime-time HD programming. I just hope that it is not too late. NBC has probably some of the best prime time dramas and comedies to ever come to the TV screen. (ER, Friends, Frasier) These shows should have been HD which would've made NBC the LEADER in HD programming. These were the shows lots and lots of people were watching and might not be around for next season. Just for examples sake...ER has had many of it'd good main characters die or leave...Friends isn't nearly as strong as it was....Hopefully NBC can retain some of the dedicated viewers.
Also, I still have to question the decision by NBC to do the Kentucky Derby (and the other horse racing events) instead of the NBA play-offs, besides the fact that these could be (and have been) some of the more exciting play-offs we've seen in a while. Now with NBC losing more and more NBA games next fall....makes you kinda wonder why they wouldn't want to showcase the play-offs in HD. I'll bet Mark Cuban would've worked out some kind of deal with NBC...even for next year.
Criticism mode off, I am glad that NBC is choosing to do more prime-time shows in HD. Any little bit is more than what we have now...right?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Heebner (edited 05-10-2002).]

bdangelo

Wandering through the channels a couple of Sunday's ago, I stumbled across an NBA playoff game on 4-1.  Either it was an accident or they are being very selective in what they broadcast.  Any word on CBS offering the NFL this fall (I think I know the answer for FOX)?