News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best TW HD-DVR?

Started by agrotto, Thursday Sep 08, 2011, 10:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrotto

Hi my 8300HD just bit the dust. What box should I be asking for when I go to pickup a new one? I do not want a 8300HDC if I can help it.

Thanks!

Jack 1000

Quote from: agrotto;57805Hi my 8300HD just bit the dust. What box should I be asking for when I go to pickup a new one? I do not want a 8300HDC if I can help it.

Thanks!

Sup?

You should inquire about the Cisco 8640 or the Cisco 8642.  The Cisco 8642 has Whole House DVR Compatibility, but requires a truck roll to activate the multi-room DVR feature.  Another DVR is the Samsung 3272, also whole house compliant, with a truck roll.  The non-Whole House DVR from Samsung is the Samsung 3270.  There was a Samsung 3090 that is also supposed to be good, but is hard to get.

But, without the truck roll for either the Cisco 8642 or the Samsung 3272, you will still get 500GB's of storage!  The older non-C and no-Samsung boxes only store 160GB's of storage.

The Cisco 8640 or the Samsung 3270 have 320 GB's of storage.  They are faster than the SA-8300HDC.  Note that the Samsung 3270 and 3272 do NOT have PIP, due to a manufacturer's decision by Samsung.  The Samsungs sometimes are flaky with HDMI cables.  Switch to component if you have HDMI problems and you should have a good box with either the Cisco 8640 or 8642, or Samsung 3270 or 3272.

I know that MDN (no C) SA-8300's are still being given out.  To compensate for the small hard drive, you can add a Western Digital Drive Expander, (not supported by TWC) and get really good storage on that box.  The older boxes are written for the Mystro Software called MDN. (No C, and not a Samsung.)  The newest version of the Software on C-boxes and Samsungs is called ODN, which is the Open Development platform.  There's Java script in those boxes, which slows them down a little bit.  However, the added memory and faster processors makes them faster than the older SA-8300HDC

The Cisco 8700 models are still in the labs.  Don't know what the next build will be for Samsung.  I heard from some sources that TWC is trying to improve the speed of the guide and is working on Keyword Search for the boxes.  Speculation is that the testing of Keyword Search is still not fast enough on the older hardware. (In feature tests.)

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

klwillis45

Thanks for the heads up.

I just picked up a Samsung 3270 to replace my currently empty & always annoying 8300HDC.

I thought maybe Whole House would be cheaper or equal to what I'm paying now but no dice. They quoted me $11 more.
Oh well, the 8300HD isn't empty yet anyway.

Jack 1000

Quote from: klwillis45;57812Thanks for the heads up.

I just picked up a Samsung 3270 to replace my currently empty & always annoying 8300HDC.

I thought maybe Whole House would be cheaper or equal to what I'm paying now but no dice. They quoted me $11 more.
Oh well, the 8300HD isn't empty yet anyway.

Good on the new box!

Let us know how it works for you and the set up you are using (HDMI or component cable.)

The Guide should be faster.  The DVR remotes are the same for all TWC DVR's.  If for some reason Navigation is slow on the remote with the Samsung, do the obvious, but what so many fail to do.  Get some fresh high-quality batteries in the remote!  Weak batters are very often the source of power signal to set top responses on the remotes.  The straight line view to the box's remote sensor, always seems to work the best. (My Synergy TWC remote uses two double-A batteries.)

Jack

klwillis45

3270 is working great via component & optical. It's much more responsive than the 8300HDC.

2x storage is confirmed as I can see a 320Gb Seagate HDD thru the top vents.

I'm using my Harmony 720 with no problems.

Jack 1000

Quote from: klwillis45;578143270 is working great via component & optical. It's much more responsive than the 8300HDC.

Great!

Jack

duncantuna

Quote from: klwillis45;578143270 is working great via component & optical. It's much more responsive than the 8300HDC.

I have an 8300HDC and it sounds as if I should swap, that the 3270 yields a nicer experience.

How did you get the new box?  Wander in to one of TWC's office stores and ask for a specific model?   Or over the phone with a cable guy visit?

klwillis45

I just went to TWC store & asked for a newer HDDVR with the larger hard drive.

cnjbucks

I am so frustrated with TW right now.

I had a Samsung DVR, loved it.  Unfortunately, recordings were becoming pixelated, and the box was rebooting 3-4 times a week.

I took it to TW to swap it, and was given a SA box.   Brought that one home, hooked it up, and was so dissatisfied with the performance (slow navigation, non-full screen guide).  

Today I took it to the West Allis office, only to be told they were out of Samsung boxes and to go to Mayfair.  Went to Mayfair, and was told they were out and they only give those out to Signature Home subscribers.  I was told I could call daily to see if they have Samsung boxes.

WTF is that!  Ok... i feel better now in venting.  Time to look at other options now for TV.

Jack 1000

Quote from: cnjbucks;58058I am so frustrated with TW right now.

I had a Samsung DVR, loved it.  Unfortunately, recordings were becoming pixelated, and the box was rebooting 3-4 times a week.

I took it to TW to swap it, and was given a SA box.   Brought that one home, hooked it up, and was so dissatisfied with the performance (slow navigation, non-full screen guide).  

Today I took it to the West Allis office, only to be told they were out of Samsung boxes and to go to Mayfair.  Went to Mayfair, and was told they were out and they only give those out to Signature Home subscribers.  I was told I could call daily to see if they have Samsung boxes.

WTF is that!  Ok... i feel better now in venting.  Time to look at other options now for TV.

They told you a line of b.s.  Seriously,

SA/Cisco are the same as Cisco bought out SA.  All SA/Cisco boxes with the C in the model number are ODN models and run the latest version of the software.  Some divisions will give out the Cisco 8642 and the Samsung 3072, which have the largest drive capacity at 500GB.  However, it is ONLY the Cisco 8642 and the Samsung 3272 that some reps might reserve for Signature Home/Multi-Room set ups.  All other SA's, Cisco's and Samsung should be available as choices if the office has them.

I have provided a guide for "What TWC Box Is Right For Me."  Here it is:

DVR Cable Boxes-My Personal Preferences.

Latest Software Versions

1.) Cisco 8642 HDC

1b.) Cisco 8640 HDC

2.) Samsung 3090

2b.) Samsung 3272

2.c.) Samsung 3270

3.) SA-8300HDC (Most widely distributed DVR box.)

The boxes numbered 1-3 above all run the latest version of the guide software  I would take either of the two Cisco units first or a Samsung if the Cisco's are not available.  The Samsung 3270-3270 does not have Picture-in-Picture, but that is OK because I never use it

4.) SA-8300HD

Any TWC DVR with a C in the Model number or a Samsung runs the latest software.

Older Software Version boxes listed below.

5.) SA-8300-HD (no C)

A bit faster, but is old and older software and is no longer being made.  All SA-8300's (no C) boxes are refurbished.

Avoid the SA-8000 it is slow and awful!

(DVR Selection varies by office location)

Your pixiation and box rebooting sounds like a signal strength issue and not a box issue at all.  If you stay with TWC, you should specifically request a service call to check the signal levels at the drop pole line.  We had pixiation issues for several months, and the tech came out and found a low signal reading at the drop pole.  He replaced the line.  We also did a cold reboot of the box to get the bad data out by turning off the box and unplugging it for one minute after the line fix, and that solved the problem.

I would also recommend posting your frustration at the TWC Direct to Tech Forum, which is a secure forum that goes to the corporate headquarters in New York.  Give your name, address, city, and account number and they will work to get somebody out to check your signal strength levels, and also ask them to put a Samsung box request in the work order if they do need to swap the box out.

Here is the forum.  It worked for me, TONS better than calling customer service because you can communicate with a tech until the problem is fixed.  Here is the forum!  Good luck!

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

Jack

cnjbucks

Well, I called TW @ Southridge to see if they had Samsung boxes available.  They said they didn't, and if they did they are only giving those out for whole house dvr customers.

After having a Samsung box, the SA boxes are terrible.  The guide isn't full screen, channel changing is painfully slow.  I guess I will need to look into the whole house so I get the performance back.

Jack 1000

Quote from: cnjbucks;58087Well, I called TW @ Southridge to see if they had Samsung boxes available.  They said they didn't, and if they did they are only giving those out for whole house dvr customers.

After having a Samsung box, the SA boxes are terrible.  The guide isn't full screen, channel changing is painfully slow.  I guess I will need to look into the whole house so I get the performance back.

I didn't know they had local numbers for the individual TWC offices now!  That's great if they do!  Did you actually call a number for the Southridge office?  Or did you call the main TWC Customer Service 800-call center, who contacted the Southridge office?  I think the main office can instant message local outlets.

Some customers are justifiably upset that they always have to go TO the offices to find out whether or not their deserved boxes are available, or play a guessing game as to what model box they will get in a truck roll/replacement.

Jack

cnjbucks

When I went to Mayfair to swap my box, I was given a sales rep business card.  You can call 866 892 6007.  There are options for either the Southridge or Mayfair office, and then to speak to someone I chose the option "if you know your agents extension..." and someone picks that up.