News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

D* taking away distant locals this August

Started by murdoc, Monday Jul 07, 2008, 06:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdoc

I just got a phone call from D*.  It seems that sometime in August, they will be shutting off our national feed from Fox (channel 88).  The reasoning behind this is because we can now get our local in HD through the dish.  I wonder if this has anything to do with Fox 6 being sold recently?

Tom Snyder

D* is ramping up to provide all the locals in HD. It was supposed to happen this summer. They have the satellite capacity, they just need the agreements in place. They seem overly optimistic about the agreements, but they may find that the satellite launch was the easy part.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Bluto

Quote from: murdoc;47083I just got a phone call from D*.  It seems that sometime in August, they will be shutting off our national feed from Fox (channel 88).  The reasoning behind this is because we can now get our local in HD through the dish.  I wonder if this has anything to do with Fox 6 being sold recently?

I think it's more than that.  I'm losing the Fox and CBS feeds.  There go the bonus NFL games....

D* and 58 better come to an HD agreement pretty darn quick, or Bluto is going to get more POed about that situation.

Bluto

Me again.  I guess I don't understand why D* is shutting down my CBS East HD feed, if they aren't carrying 58 in HD yet.

vegasvic

I can understand the Fox feed but not the CBS feed since we don't have 58 in HD yet.  But I couldn't get a waiver from those assclowns anyway.

jeaves79

Looks like Jim Hall will be happy now that OTA antenna sales around here will go up.

sacko999

I did call DTV about this. They mentioned that we should not lose Channel 80 until 58  becomes available via SAT. I only talked to their DNS team. (Distant Network Services)

They did confirm that we will lose 88.

So, take this for what it's worth.

gparris

Quote from: sacko999;47140I did call DTV about this. They mentioned that we should not lose Channel 80 until 58  becomes available via SAT. I only talked to their DNS team. (Distant Network Services)

They did confirm that we will lose 88.

So, take this for what it's worth.

I take it you are still one of the "chosen few" who still get CBSHD from Directv without the antenna routine, good for you.
-Getting CBSHD channel 80 is as possible now -  as in never.

-Until CBSHD comes in off the Directv dish, I will stick with TWC as I watch enough CBSHD (not CBS58 locally, Jim Hall) to make it worthwhile to keep them for DVRing.;)

It's really a trade-off, CBSHD or Sci-FiHD/USAHD, as I could care less about any those Disney HD, etc. HD channels TWC has to offer; I just list them (below) to let TWC HD subs here now how ripped-off Milwaukeeans are, paying the same for many fewer HD channels.:rolleyes:

vegasvic

Hall is too busy with Me-TV now to worry about getting a deal done with DTV.  It takes a lot of effort to decide which Laverne & Shirley rerun to put on each night.

Tom Snyder

Fox 6 closed on their sale to new owners this week, so the local is no longer an O&O. IIRC the local waivers only applied to Fox affiliates that were owned and operated by Fox.  And now that that's the case, the waiver no longer applies.
Tom Snyder

RonH

The METV thing is out of control.  Now they are broadcasting it analog as well and they even have it on the analog tier of TWC, hogging more bandwidth from HD channels.

On another topic, I switched to directv last month, and since I must pay for each additional outlet (I have 3 total), I would say I am $15-$20 more per month for similar channels (with much more HD of course).

COMET

Well Aug 7 has come and gone,  I am still getting CBSE-HD on channel 80. Looks like I will be seeing lots of Brett in NY.

Tom Snyder

QuoteI am still getting CBSE-HD on channel 80. Looks like I will be seeing lots of Brett in NY.
On behalf of all of us who requested, and were denied waivers from 58...

We hate you! :rof:
Tom Snyder

tunce

Quote from: Tom Snyder;47476On behalf of all of us who requested, and were denied waivers from 58...

We hate you! :rof:

I agree!  :)

basshive

Quote from: COMET;47471Well Aug 7 has come and gone,  I am still getting CBSE-HD on channel 80. Looks like I will be seeing lots of Brett in NY.

I sure hope you know how good you have it!!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV