News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS58 broadcasting in 720P

Started by RonH, Friday Mar 28, 2008, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

Today I noticed CBS58 during the news at 5:45pm, 3/28, was broadcasting in 720P (upscaled 480i I mean to 720p).  I thought it was my cable box screwing up so I switched to OTA and sure enough, 720P.  This is odd.  I think this happened last weekend two.  Are they doing something weird due to basketball?

tfurru1

Yeah, I am wondering about that also.  They have been broadcasting in 720p during the NCAA games and also for regular CBS shows.  I hope this isn't permanent.  Can anyone from CBS-58 comment on what is going on?

RonH

Perhaps they are trying to makeup for the reduced bandwidth from multicasting by sending out a progressive signal (which is superior for fast motion sports)? But if the signal they are getting is only 30fps to begin with, going to 720p is not going to buy them much.  However, the game today was the first one that I wasn't complaining about the quality for. I either got used to it or it actually improved it.

tfurru1

And just noticed MY24 is now in 720P instead of 1080i also!

kevbeck122

I believe MY24 has been 720p since they switched from UPN to MyNetworkTV.

Bebop

It always been 480 when moved to 58-2. Until lately when 58 begin experimenting with their broadcast. It's back to 480 today.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun