News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8300HD DVR Users Thread

Started by Mark Strube, Sunday Feb 27, 2005, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vindi

Isn't that the whole point of HDMI?  Otherwise you can get the same quality from DVI and optical for audio.

kevbeck122

TVs are the only thing that can't get 5.1 from HDMI.. they can only decode/output 2.0.. so therefore you won't get any sound through your TV speakers if you set the HDMI output to 5.1.

Vindi

Why would you need 5.1 into a TV?  Thats why the TV manufactures make them this way.  There is no point to inputing 5.1 into a TV.

Mark Strube

Quote from: Vindi;36878There is no point to inputing 5.1 into a TV.

Actually, there is. Many HDTV's (including mine) have an optical audio output. It's used for ouputting audio from any source, including the built in OTA tuner, or the HDMI ports. It would be very helpful if it could pass 5.1 thru, it would free up some optical ports on my audio receiver.

Vindi

Did you try running your audio thru your tv?  I have the same set and thought I remember reading somewhere that only one of the two HDMI inputs would pass the audio through.  I dont remember for sure.  I have never tried.

IO would assume all reciever would accept 5.1 thru HDMI though.  TV's might be the only exception.

tbarney

Will TWC let me bring my own 8300 DVR the party and use a cable card in the front slot to receive programming?

The way I see it the unit costs about $15/month between the box rental and for the DVR service. At those rates buying one personally should break even in 2 years. I relize that I wouldn't get updates, just wondering if it is possible.

thanks

LoadStar

Quote from: tbarney;36901Will TWC let me bring my own 8300 DVR the party and use a cable card in the front slot to receive programming?

The way I see it the unit costs about $15/month between the box rental and for the DVR service. At those rates buying one personally should break even in 2 years. I relize that I wouldn't get updates, just wondering if it is possible.

thanks

The front slot isn't a cable card. It's a slot for a smart card, similar to the DirecTV cards they use (or used to use - I haven't looked at a DTV system in a long time). TWC does not use the cards, so they don't have any to provide.

Nor will TWC be remotely likely to activate a "foreign" cable box on their network.

Additionally, in the unlikely scenario that they were to do so, you would still have to pay for the DVR service, no matter what.

DooMer_MP3

I'm having a problem with my SA 8300 HD DVR. Here is the equipment:

1) Syntax Olevia 37" LCD LT37HVS w/ 1 HDMI port
2) Samsung HDMI Upconverting player
3) Computer w/ 9800pro DVI->HDMI cable
4) MonoPrice HDX-501 5x1 HDMI Switch Rev 2.1
5) MonoPrice HDMI cables

I originally had a Rev 2.0 switch, but since exchanged it in hopes of fixing the problem. To make a long story short, I cannot, for the life of me, get the SA 8300HD to work using HDMI through the HDMI switch. It works when hooked up directly to the TV. The DVD player and computer work just fine through the switch. The switch is a pretty highly regarded piece of equipment on AVS forums, especially for the price.

Anyhow, no matter which port I plug it into on the switch, the DVR always tells me my TV doesn't support HDCP. I've tried different cables, different, DVRs (exchanged to TWC), and also returned my original switch for a new one. The DVR is the only friggin' piece that won't work.

Anyone have any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Mark Strube

I'm going to guess the HDMI switch isn't fully supporting HDCP, or it's somehow preventing the specific type of handshake that the 8300HD requires. That's my best guess... have you found out if anyone else in another area with an 8300HD (with HDCP enabled) has been able to get it to work thru that switch?

DooMer_MP3

Quote from: Mark Strube;37079I'm going to guess the HDMI switch isn't fully supporting HDCP, or it's somehow preventing the specific type of handshake that the 8300HD requires. That's my best guess... have you found out if anyone else in another area with an 8300HD (with HDCP enabled) has been able to get it to work thru that switch?

Yeah, that is my thought as well. I'll have to bring it over to a friend's house with a similar setup. Slight revision of my TV (same size/brand) but also with a SA8300HD.