News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8300HD DVR Users Thread

Started by Mark Strube, Sunday Feb 27, 2005, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

Thanks sp44! Here's an image of the back from his link:

Andrew Grall

Quote from: sp44againSee if this works.

linky

Thanks for the link.

oz

Joseph S

Another vote for:

1)Does HDMI->DVI work with HDCP displays?
2)Do the firewire ports work?
3)Does the SATA port work?

Paul S.

So...when will these be available for everyone?

Mark Strube

No idea... like I've said, call the Mayfair store (1-866-892-6007), ask if they have any available, if not, ask when they're getting a new shipment. I'd recommend calling right before you're planning on leaving to go to the store. They tend to disappear pretty quickly.

wireblsam

Picked mine up from Mayfair yesterday at lunch.  They couldn't activate the box because they were having systems problems.  Hooked it up at home and everything worked great except for the HD tier (530, 545-548).

Channel switching much improved over the 8000, and picture quality was slightly better on the analog channels.

Andrew Grall

If I decide to pick up this box, what is the most economical package to do so?

I currently have DigiPic 1000 with cablecard and the HD Tier -

I used to have Digital Access with the Pioneer HD receiver until I got a TV with cablecard.  I never watch channels in the 100 range...

I want to keep prices down... I already feel like I am paying too much at ~$111/mo for Earthlink cable and cable TV.

Mark Strube

Well, first I'd switch to Road Runner... I used to have EarthLink but then I found out if I switch to RR, it's $34.95/mo for a year, and then $40/mo after that since we have digipic 2000. (you don't need dp2000 to get the 34.95 deal)

As far as I know, this is the most economical you can get:

DIGIPiC 1000 - $49.95
HD Package - $6.95
Digital Box - $7.95
HD DVR - $6.95
Road Runner - $34.95

TOTAL: $106.75 + taxes

Mark Strube

I just got my cable in the mail today. HDMI -> DVI-D (w/HDCP) works beautifully. There is no slow-down in the channel changing, like some were worried about. Also, it does scale the image to whatever format you like (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), unlike the Pioneer box's DVI output.

I'm not able to test the firewire or sata ports at the moment, so someone else will have to test that out for us.  :)

Another feature I've forgotten to mention... you can also stretch/zoom HD (16:9) channels. This would be useful is something is "pillarboxed."

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeI just got my cable in the mail today. HDMI -> DVI-D (w/HDCP) works beautifully. There is no slow-down in the channel changing, like some were worried about. Also, it does scale the image to whatever format you like (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), unlike the Pioneer box's DVI output.

I'm not able to test the firewire or sata ports at the moment, so someone else will have to test that out for us.  :)

Another feature I've forgotten to mention... you can also stretch/zoom HD (16:9) channels. This would be useful is something is "pillarboxed."

Awesome news! I just ordered a 6ft'er! :) Maybe I'll just go see if they have a box while I'm out and about tomarrow and hold onto to box boxes until I get the cable  :guitar:

Snard

Quote from: ozAnyone try this yet?
Not yet - don't have a SATA external drive.

I did trade in my 8000HD for an 8300HD tonight, and it's up and running & working nicely. My unit doesn't have the Firewire connectors on the back; does anyone else's?

The next question to ask with the external drive is: if I let the 8300HD record a program to the drive, can I then connect the drive to my computer and extract the program? (I guess it's time to head over to AVSForum, because if anyone's done this, I'm sure someone there has.)
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeAlso, it does scale the image to whatever format you like (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i), unlike the Pioneer box's DVI output.

Thats even better news. My Sony likes to take 720p and downconvert it to 480p.

Is there a sequence of #'s to hit to get that menu, or is it in the manual? {fart}

Mark Strube

Quote from: Paul S.Is there a sequence of #'s to hit to get that menu, or is it in the manual? {fart}

It's simply in the main settings, just like with the 8000 model. You tell it which formats you'd like it to put thru. For example, I selected 1080i and 720p... so it passes thru 1080i and 720p just how they are, and upscales 480p and 480i to 720p.

Your Sony donconverts 720p to 480p?? Why would it do that? How would I find out if mine is doing that?  :confused:

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeIt's simply in the main settings, just like with the 8000 model. You tell it which formats you'd like it to put thru. For example, I selected 1080i and 720p... so it passes thru 1080i and 720p just how they are, and upscales 480p and 480i to 720p.

Your Sony donconverts 720p to 480p?? Why would it do that? How would I find out if mine is doing that?  :confused:

You might be able to display all formats as they are. The 510's all downconvert 720p (there is no 720p for the 510). 1080i is the native for me.

You might want to check the SPot. An easier way is to check you set yourself with each signal  ;)