News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Goodby TWC

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Mar 13, 2010, 05:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Well it's been almost a week since I switched..and I can happily say I'm not looking back. Been very happy with the quality of the HD via Dish, it is a vast improvement over TWC.  Of course I'm a little more cirtical then most users, having a 1080p capable 65" Sharpe LCD, but the HD was always soft on TWC and in fast motion or very quick action scenes, explosions and the like, TWC was full of pixilating and artifacts...I'm seeing none of that on Dish and can say it's almost as good as BlueRay...but not quite.

Only downfall I have right now is both my BlueRay and Dish Receivers have only Toslink optical outputs for digital audio and my Bose system has only 1 toslink input so I have to switch the optical cable when I go play a blue ray (for DVDs I just use the Bose), I wish that the DVR and/or the BlueRay would have had an optional Coaxial (rca plug type) digital audio output so I wouldn't have to play the cable swap game.

Oh and by the way the CallerID feature works great on all the boxes, plugged a phone line and up it came.....actually nicer than TWC's display.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Chinatown;55216http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1269215218&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Cool, I looked a few years ago about toslink switches and didn't find any so never thought about searching the net...thanks, I'll have to order one...but dang I'll have to get up to switch...lol
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

klwillis45

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;55217but dang I'll have to get up to switch...lol

Then try something like this instead.

Rick_EE

or This as a optical to digital coax converter.

Blitzburgh

DirecTV is king....nuff said

Chinatown

Quote from: Blitzburgh;55220DirecTV is king....nuff said

For different folkes..........

Blitzburgh

Quote from: Chinatown;55221For different folkes..........

I agree 100%, everyone can get whatever they want. If you want the best Picture Quality, Customer Service, Chennel  Selection, NFL Sunday Ticket. Get the King!! :D

kevbeck122

Quote from: Chinatown;55210The new Directv Tivo is coming out sometime this year. However, the odds of anyone getting it as a new subscriber are a million to one. You will get whatever the installer has on his truck, which more then likely will be the current inept models.

Of course, you could demand to know who the specific installer is.  Then call them to find out if they have any HD Tivo receivers, and grease the wheels of progress. Just a thought.

The Tivo box will most likely be a choice that the customer will have if they want the Tivo service... unless DirecTV/Tivo decide to run Tivo software on the existing HR boxes.

Chinatown

Quote from: kevbeck122;55225The Tivo box will most likely be a choice that the customer will have if they want the Tivo service... unless DirecTV/Tivo decide to run Tivo software on the existing HR boxes.

And I think it is extremely wish full thinking that the potential subscriber will be able to demand the Tivo DVR.  You will get  what the installer has on the truck.

On the other hand, "E" only has the VIP 622/722. The only difference between them is recording space.

Having dual  tuners/PIP far outclasses anything "D" has.

Klankster

Seriously, when DirecTV comes out with the new Tivo box, I'll probably switch back from TWC, where I went when DirecTV abandoned my HR10-250 Tivo box.  I got a Series3 Tivo to use on TWC, but the experience has been so awful I can't wait to jump ship when the chance comes.

The TWC HD quality is a freaking JOKE.  Watch something like "Speed Racer" in HD on TWC sometime and you'll see what I mean.  The worst compression artifacts I've ever seen on all the fast motion.

And that's assuming the Series3 works with the half-a$$ "Tuning Adapter" TWC uses.  Mine drops out the signal CONSTANTLY despite multiple service calls.  And the real fun is the tuning adapter's blinking light and failure to tune at the end of EVERY MONTH since getting the damned thing.  The "Tier 3" service guy thinks it's some routine scan of the system that turns off my tuning adapter at the end of every month.

Yeah, I won't look back.  Believe me.

budda

Quote from: Blitzburgh;55224I agree 100%, everyone can get whatever they want. If you want the best Picture Quality, Customer Service, Chennel  Selection, NFL Sunday Ticket. Get the King!! :D

I believe Dish has better SD and HD picture. Unless you are a trans plant, or a gambling degenerate , Sunday ticket is a waste. Price and packages after all come over to me sign up crap, As well as price and cost , just better equipment. Have to go with Dish!  JMO:rock:

sp44again

Does Dish have multi-room viewing?

kevbeck122

Quote from: Chinatown;55226And I think it is extremely wish full thinking that the potential subscriber will be able to demand the Tivo DVR.  You will get  what the installer has on the truck.

On the other hand, "E" only has the VIP 622/722. The only difference between them is recording space.

Having dual  tuners/PIP far outclasses anything "D" has.

If as a new customer you order the Tivo service with your package, I'm sure the installer won't come with a regular HR2x HD DVR.  You might be put on a waiting list if demand is high, but I doubt they'll deny you Tivo if you want it.

Now that there's talks of Dish buying Tivo (just so that they can get out of the legal problems they're having with Tivo), we might not even see the new D* Tivo box anyways... Hopefully the rumor is false.

Chinatown

I have 2 Vip Hd Dvr's.  & 4 tv's 2 HD one in the living room and one upstairs/2 sd, one in the kitchen the other in the basement. The sd's have IR remotes and the length of coverage is flawless.

In addition, I split the kitchen set with coax. This allows that 16" flat screen to be  taken outside to our enclosed patio during the summer, to watch the Brewer games, etc. without any lose of picture quality.

If I set them at single viewing I can watch the same program on the companion tv. If I set them on dual then there is independent viewing. The Dvr can be programmed from either set. This whole setup relieved us of 200' of less wiring.

Not be beat a dead horse, but the Vip receivers are state of the art, superior to "D" or cable., but that is just my opinion.

But, hey, search the internet and form your own opinion.