News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Unsuccessful Dish Install

Started by kevbeck122, Thursday May 29, 2008, 05:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevbeck122

So I decided to order Dish since I can't stand TWC.  I just moved to a condo and it faces mostly north, but I called the condo/apartment maintenance guy and he said there would be no problems getting it.  The install was today with a 12-5 window, so I took a half day vacation at work.  The installer came, as I expected, right at 5.  I told him where to put the Dish as instructed by the maintenance person.. but part of the building was blocking the 129* satellite where the HD is.  The installer called maintenance and was told an alternate location to put it.  Apparently the cable was supposed to come through my kitchen window, which the screen wouldn't come off.  The guy mentions that this is what we call a cluster@#$% of an install and says he needs to go outside to think.  After awhile another installer shows up, they come back in, check some more and pretty much say that this would be a no go.

I suggested they run the cable through the window that is in my basement storage unit and run it up to my unit.  The previous owner of this condo ran cable from TWC down to the basement storage unit so I figured it would be no issue.  They said that it would be too hard to get to my place with all of the splitters and wires that TWC ran :confused:.  After that they agreed that it would be impossible, that I'll have to go with TWC and left.

Were they just too lazy to install or what?  They just did not seem like they wanted to be there or do anything about it.  Should I try a local installer instead?  Mine was through DNSC I'm assuming, since I ordered directly from Dish.  Basically the restrictions that I have on the install is that no holes can be drilled unless it's within my unit and the cable pretty much can't be seen (can't run up walls, over the roof, etc.).

AndrewP

Quote from: kevbeck122;46587So I decided to order Dish
Were they just too lazy to install or what? ...

I think they were just lazy.
I am not with Dish anymore, but right now you need 61.5 location for Dish HD, which will include FSN WI HD. On 129 you'll get locals in HD, but they will be most likely moved to 61.5 Dish. That is just what I heard about current Dish status.

With D* you will not need 129. So you can try that option. It will cost more initially for HD DVR, but you will get much more HD channels.

kevbeck122

I assumed I was getting the Dish 1000.2.  Since I was not getting locals and the package I was getting didn't include FSN, I didn't think I would need the 61.5 wing dish.  I'm trying to stay as low as I can in monthly price... D* is fairly comparable in price for a year.. then it goes up.  I suppose I could switch when the year is up.. but do they have contracts?

I e-mailed the only local installer I could find, PM Horizons in Fort Atkinson, and here's what they had to say:
QuoteThank you for your inquiry, however, we are not at this time interested in performing your installation at this time.  Sounds more like it falls into a category of 'custom' installation.  I have been in this business for too many years to complete 'custom' work for FREE as your e-mail indicated you would prefer.  I suggest you get an hourly employee type to perform your installation from DishNetwork.  Sorry.

Anyone know of any other installers?  I'm tempted to just run my own RG-6 cable from my place to where the dish needs to go, since it seems installers have become lazy.  I didn't say I wanted it free.. I just asked.  This is getting a little frustrating.

Bebop

Quote from: kevbeck122;46687Anyone know of any other installers?  I'm tempted to just run my own RG-6 cable from my place to where the dish needs to go, since it seems installers have become lazy.  I didn't say I wanted it free.. I just asked.  This is getting a little frustrating.

They don't want to do it your way, but the easiest route for them. I guest they must be getting pay by per instal.

I wanted to have the dish installed on the side of the house. But they gave me this lame excuse of the dish being too heavy. I had a 65cm dish installed on the side of the house without problem.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun