News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Good place to buy bulk cable?

Started by kevbeck122, Friday Mar 21, 2008, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevbeck122

Are there any local places to buy bulk cable?  If not, where's the best place to buy online?  I'm mainly looking for solid cat6 and coax to run through walls.

RLJSlick

Try these guys, they are locally own, and we have bought from them at work:
http://www.wcwc.com/053818/index.html
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Ralph Kramden

I'm not sure about the Cat 6, but you can get the coax at Home Depot.

Tom Snyder

I got my bulk coax and Cat 6 at Home Depot
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

TPK

Quote from: kevbeck122;45266Are there any local places to buy bulk cable?  If not, where's the best place to buy online?  I'm mainly looking for solid cat6 and coax to run through walls.

A while back I bought some stuff (cable, crimping tools, etc..) from MarMax (I think they are in or near Racine)....  I went to their store directly (did not have it shipped)....

http://www.marmaxdistribution.com/

mhz40

Marmax around 51st & Rawson.  Cable, fittings, GOOD prep tools (not pliars!!).

Talos4

Home Depot for me.

No one has come up with a good reason not too!

mhz40

Foil shield with 80% braid or I'm not buying it...

kevbeck122

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I guess I'll check Home Depot first since it's closest.

TPK

Quote from: mhz40;45297Foil shield with 80% braid or I'm not buying it...

Im curious, would you suggest (or insist on) quad shield or no??

I think most cable installers stay away from quad shield, or at least thats what I was told, but is that because the quad shield really doesnt help much or is it simply because its so much more difficult  to terminate??  What tools would you use to terminate coax cable (quad shield or no)?

I cannot deal with putting the ends on the quad shield, but perhaps thats because I dont have the right tools...

mhz40

Quote from: TPK;45319Im curious, would you suggest (or insist on) quad shield or no??

I think most cable installers stay away from quad shield, or at least thats what I was told, but is that because the quad shield really doesnt help much or is it simply because its so much more difficult  to terminate??  What tools would you use to terminate coax cable (quad shield or no)?

I cannot deal with putting the ends on the quad shield, but perhaps thats because I dont have the right tools...

Yeah, quad is tough to work with.  A nut driver is almost a requirement to push the fittings on.  I'd avoid it.  You don't get much more bang for your buck and besides the termination issue, is pretty tough to work with because of the extra bulk.

Just go with foil shield and a braid as dense as you can find --- or your budget will allow.  Before I'd go quad shield, I'd move to RG6 --- but DONT connect it directly to your gear... use a RG59 jumper.  The RG6 stinger can permanently stress out the inside of the F connector on consumer hardware, which not easily replaced.