News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cutting Cable: Tivo Premiere and Apple TV?

Started by Coach77, Saturday Sep 04, 2010, 07:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xizer

Wind Blow Dollar?

Micky Dollar Oft?

I don't get it, sorry. :rolleyes:

tbarney

Quote from: Xizer;56223Wind Blow Dollar?

Micky Dollar Oft?

I don't get it, sorry. :rolleyes:

Best I can gather is that it means Windows Blows, so Windblow$. Get it now?
Seems to make sense to me, patches every month is no fun.

Xizer

I think I've heard better insults from kindergarteners.

LoadStar

Girls, you're both pretty.

Can we get back to the topic, please?

Will

OTA DVR options are very limited if you need simple, family-friendly operation.  

There is the Tivo of course, with its monthly fees.  The new Premiere box is widely reported to be slow and buggy using the HD menus, but should be addressed by Tivo with firmware updates.

The DTVPal DVR / ChannelMaster CM-7000PAL could work for you as well.  I have two and am happy with them.  See the avsforums thread here for info if you are interested.

If you are willing to wait, there should be more options coming with Windows Media Center Embedded.  It is basically Media Center without the PC.  Two products were shown recently that use it, and are claimed to be coming out in the first half of 2011.  See an engadgethd post showing it off here.  This has the potential to be the holy grail of OTA DVRs in my opinion.  All of the netflix / streaming / internet content along with the rich WMC guide info and the ability to use as an extender sounds pretty cool.

Coach77

Again, thanks for the intelligent replies.

Now I'm looking into getting the HD Homerun and purchasing the Eye TV DVR software for my Mac.  

Apparently Eye TV will automatically export recordings to iTunes which will be available through Apple TV.

Now I think I'm going to cut U-Verse and subscribe to a fast broadband through TW.  I believe TW has the fasted broadband speeds, plus they don't have that Gateway which if very incompatible with Apple Airports.

Thanks again!

Bebop

Don't know how fast your Mac is? You might want to get the Turbo HD to speed up the export.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

Actually AT&T has the fastest broadband available.  It's called Max Turbo and is 24Mbps down and 3Mbps up for $65/month.  Depending on how far you are from the VRAD (cabinet on the street that provides U-verse services), as well as the quality of the phone cable between the VRAD and your house, you might not be able to get it though.  TWC has RoadRunner Turbo (15Mbps down/1 Mbps up) for $60/month, though as a new customer you can get it for $40 - $50/month for a year.  You can also keep calling every year to get the promotional price back.  I've been at $40/month for almost three years.

I wouldn't think an Airport would be a problem with the U-verse residential gateway.  Just plug it in one of the ethernet ports and turn off wireless on the gateway.  Sure the gateway still does the routing, but everything else can go through the Airport.

tywest

We did almost the same exact thing as described in your first post.

We have the Tivo Premier, Apple TV, and Netflix streaming thru TIVO.

We barely use the Apple TV anymore. We get all of the Milw and GB channels. Streaming Netflix seems to fill the gap of "missing" cable shows. I also watch some of the Revision 3 video podcasts downloaded to the Tivo.

I do miss the Brewer games and ESPN but for the price i can live without it.