News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirectTV HD Hardware Upgrade

Started by madsdad, Thursday Jul 22, 2010, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madsdad

I have been a Direct TV subscriber since 2000.  Now they have a HD DVR and multiroom options.  Direct tells me that I will need to upgrade my 2 HD recievers and also get an HD DVR.  The issues are this,  my current recievers allow me to integrate my off the air channels directly into my guide.  I also have RF remote controls.  I want this functionality in the new equipment and I have a service contract with them.  The new model of HD recivers do not include the off air attenna integration portion.  Direct is telling me that I must buy all new recivers and then also a off air box that they sell seperatly now.  So my questions are as follows

1.  Does anyone know of an easy way to break these recievers,  Direct will replace them for me for no charge with the new models if they confirm that they are not abused.

2.  Does anyone know any wireless cards that are easy to set up with these recievers for room to room DVR?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Nels Harvey

I have a Dish VIP 722 DVR that permits external signal reception from an antenna, and a Dish VIP 612 DVR that does so also.  This gives me two DVR's, one each for my two HD TV's and the 722 also feeds all of my old TV's with a signal on ch. 3 around my house.  This gives me 4 recordable signals and two separate playbacks of DVR programming.

If Dish can do that, why can't DirecTV?
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

murdoc

Quote from: Nels Harvey;55889If Dish can do that, why can't DirecTV?

They can.

The OP needs new equipment (not from circa 2000) to do it.  I have the HR-20 and the HR-22 HD DVR's.  The HR-20 has an OTA input, the HR-22 needs the OTA adapter box.  Both of my boxes are hooked up to my gigabit Ethernet network, which gives me 2 HD DVRs recording 4 HD stations viewable anywhere in the house.  I have not paid a dime for any of my equipment.

OP, I suggest you call D* again and ask to speak to the retention department because you are thinking about canceling your service.  I guarantee you will get your receivers swapped out and the OTA adapter for free by signing a 2 year contract.  Also ask for the free HD package for 24 months by signing up for auto bill pay.  That's $240 in your pocket and one less bill per month you have to deal with.

As for wireless cards, pay for the whole house DVR install ($100) unless you have a complete home network.  The wireless cards themselves will cost more than this and not function near as well as D* installed setup.