News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DTV HD Box after cancellation

Started by jeaves79, Friday Apr 30, 2010, 07:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeaves79

So I am going to have to cut the cable for a while, and as a current subscriber with DirecTV, for 3+ years I am wondering if when i call htem to cancel, will I have to return the HD-DVR box that I have? I paid $200 for it when i signed up  originally.

If I don't have to give it back, then will I still be able to watch the shows that I have recorded on the box, with it disconected from the sat. signal?

budda

They my be king nuf said.  but, you were leasing that receiver. Even after you paid 199.00 If you look at your bill there is a charge per month for the lease. They will send you a box the ship it back, so bend over. I am not sure with Direct any more but, sometimes you can drop to just a activation fee of say 5.99 a month. and use the box. NO channels..This prevents a activation fee when you fire back up. Either way, they are in you pocket

Bluto

You will have to return the DVR.  If you don't return it, you will be charged the retail price of the box, less what you paid up front.

Expect to wait a while for the shipping box.  I decided to return an H20 I rarely use anymore.  It's been almost two weeks - no box yet.

jeaves79

man that sucks.

Are you able to watch recordings on it after it is canceled till they send you the box?

ddeerrff

As someone who has never had satellite, I have to ask:  If the box is leased, and a monthly fee is paid to lease it, what was the $200 for?

kevbeck122

There's no monthly lease fee on the first box.  Each box after is $5 a month extra regardless of whether it's owned or leased.  As a new customer (since about 1-2 years ago), you can usually get an HD DVR and an HD receiver for no upfront charge (as well as any SD receivers).  Existing customers have to pay an upfront lease fee and add up to two years to your contract when getting additional boxes.  Both Dish and DIRECTV are pretty much the same when it comes to this.

You can suspend service for awhile too: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3490037

You might be able to watch things if you disconnect the dish, phone line and/or ethernet cable before calling to cancel.  I don't know for sure though if that would work.

ddeerrff

kevbeck122

This is around what you would pay as an exisiting customer if you want additional boxes: $200 for an HD DVR, $100 for an HD Box, and $70 for an SD box.  They used to charge new customers also at those prices, but nowadays they usually waive the fee for your first HD DVR and/or HD Box.  It's just the cost of leasing the box.  Just like leasing a car, there's a down payment.

budda

Quote from: ddeerrff;55493So what's the $200 for?

Well the 200 is for the privilege of being able to get Sunday ticket! Just kidding. Just a way to help with there costs. Most of the fee's are DVR copy write crap basically agreements and recouping money. If you are a new costumer most equipment is free with a 18 to 24 month commitment. Dish will give you the equipment for new, peps. But if you change or add a box same price 200 and a commitment. They have a new Vip922 receive DVR with Slingbox built in. 1 terabye HD. to be able the rent it 299.00, then a fee per month

Bluto

Quote from: jeaves79;55484man that sucks.

Are you able to watch recordings on it after it is canceled till they send you the box?

Nope.  They deactivate the box.