News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Blu-ray (suchadeal!)

Started by jeffski, Friday Apr 02, 2010, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffski

Finally made the Blu-ray plunge. Found on Amazon.com my Sylvania NB530SLX for  $59.95 :eek::eek: (WITH free shipping)Just couldn't pass up THAT deal! It's since gone back up over $100. Timing is everything :rock:

Ralph Kramden

It's about time you bought one. :) You're supposed to post the deal while it's still good. ;)

jeffski

ooops,sorry. the very next day it was $79.95 :(

LoadStar

I tend to stay away from the cheap Funai (Sylvania, Philips, et. al.) blu-ray players. While they're undoubtedly better than DVD, the image quality is definitely not nearly as good as some of the name-brand units.

It's a nice inexpensive way to get into the Blu-Ray world, but you'll probably want to step up to a better player eventually.

OlsonNet

That was a decent deal. There have been quite a few deals on the cheaper players lately. Newegg had the Toshiba player for $99 a week or two ago as well.

jeffski

Quote from: LoadStar;55307I tend to stay away from the cheap Funai (Sylvania, Philips, et. al.) blu-ray players. While they're undoubtedly better than DVD, the image quality is definitely not nearly as good as some of the name-brand units.

It's a nice inexpensive way to get into the Blu-Ray world, but you'll probably want to step up to a better player eventually.

With our 1st Blu-ray movie (The Blind Side) there is a noticable difference between that quality and the quality of the DTV 1080p movies. I can't see how the picture could be any better with a unit costing twice or 4 times as much. I guess the only way it could be better is with 3d,which is still very expensive and in it's infancy.

Ralph Kramden

Loadstar, I have to disagree. The only thing the cheaper ones may be inferior at is upconverting standard DVD's. It's been proven time and time again that if you play a Blu-ray at 1080p/24, they all have virtually the same quality image.

jeffski

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;55310Loadstar, I have to disagree. The only thing the cheaper ones may be inferior at is upconverting standard DVD's. It's been proven time and time again that if you play a Blu-ray at 1080p/24, they all have virtually the same quality image.

Good point Ralph. The added features on higher-priced models such as bd live I can live without.