News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wisconsin AB-721 introduced - new PEG provisions

Started by ArgMeMatey, Friday Feb 12, 2010, 11:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/AB-721.pdf

Requires more support from providers for PEG programming.  

Allows up to a 1% fee collected by municipalities, "for the purpose" of supporting PEG.  This appears to be different from other fees currently collected by municipalities, which can go into the general fund.  

I haven't read through the whole thing yet.

budda

Bill is in part because of downturn in economy. This means when the economy turns around they will drop the tax? B/S, Like everybody else, just cut salary's and people. Sorry but if this happens in 3 years it will be 25% not 1%. Called getting your foot in the door. JMO

John L

Quote from: budda;54902Bill is in part because of downturn in economy. This means when the economy turns around they will drop the tax? B/S, Like everybody else, just cut salary's and people. Sorry but if this happens in 3 years it will be 25% not 1%. Called getting your foot in the door. JMO

The reason for the bill is to SAVE what we currently have in regards to PEG stations. Its just recent laws were approved to eliminate them.  I volunteer in programming a PEG station in Muskego which is carried over Time-Warner Cable in Muskego, ch. 14. I DON'T GET PAID for programming it. I do it because I love programming a TV station.  However the Franchise Fees you see on your monthly cable bill goes for the operation costs of operating ch. 14 as well as ch. 25. I shall not forget ch. 13 in which I have nothing to do with it as its operated from the Muskego-Norway School Resource Center and someone else is in charge for ch. 13.

-John L.

Bluto

Sounds like a new tax.  No thank you.  I oppose new taxes.  In fact, I oppose most of the current ones.

Northern Fringe

There is a hearing scheduled for this Wednesday, 2/24, in the afternoon during the meeting of the Committee on Urban and Local Affairs at the state capitol.  It will probably be televised on Wisconsin Eye.  

Main provisions of AB-721 include: (from Save Access TV website)
1.  Allow communities to keep up to a 1% PEG Fee. (Many communities have already been collecting this for their channels, but it sunsets at the end of this year)
2.  Require video providers to pay for transmission equipment. (Without this, it can be cost-prohibitive to connect to U-verse, for example)
3.  Require video providers to carry PEG channels "without degradation."  (PEG channels on Charter systems have been moved to channels that experience interference from the FM radio band)
4.  Require video providers to put our channels on the basic tier so ALL subscribers can view them. (Not digital-only)
5.  Require video providers to carry community television with the same "functionality" as basic broadcast stations. (On U-verse they must be accessed through menus)

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Northern Fringe;54970Main provisions of AB-721 include: (from Save Access TV website)
1.  Allow communities to keep up to a 1% PEG Fee. (Many communities have already been collecting this for their channels, but it sunsets at the end of this year)

Thanks for the summaries.  

Does it require PEG fees to be used for PEG channels?  Last time I checked, Time Warners was collecting PEG fees for Shorewood, and those checks went straight into the general fund coffers.  I'm not aware of any PEG channel for Shorewood, however.

Northern Fringe

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;54985Does it require PEG fees to be used for PEG channels?  Last time I checked, Time Warners was collecting PEG fees for Shorewood, and those checks went straight into the general fund coffers.  I'm not aware of any PEG channel for Shorewood, however.

As I understand it, communities don't have to charge the 1% fee, it would only be if they had an access channel of their own and the funds could only be used for capital equipment expenses.  This is not to be confused with the 5% Franchise Fee that communities collect... they can use those funds for whatever they see fit.