News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sorry guys !

Started by Todd Wiedemann, Sunday Feb 12, 2006, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wiedemann

Sorry I blew the domain renewal, everyone.

My email address changed and the mailed notification was shuffled away.

It's been renewed and  .org will be back soon.

Again, apologies.

Todd.

StarvingForHDTV

Thanks for having a quick solution to the problem.  Everybody makes mistakes.

Todd Wiedemann

milwaukeehdtv.org is back, at least for me.

Sorry again.

Tom Snyder

It was back up for most people at around 9:45 yesterday, but some ISP's who only do once-daily DNS table updates took till today to get the site coming back up correctly.  

But it looks like it's all good now. :)
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

kevbeck122

I didn't have any problems.. must've been in the dns cache somewhere along the way when I was accessing the site yesterday.

Tom Snyder

DNS Propogation is much faster than it used to be, so once Todd took care of it, it got us back up pretty fast. And early on a Sunday morning, we could have probably just not even said anything. Only a tiny handfull of people would have even known.

And it might have been better that certain people didn't know:  :(

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/site/weblogs.asp?id=87
Tom Snyder

mhz40

Bad publicity is better than none.
I'm just glad I lost my reason to disonnect my internet access. :D

Tom Snyder

I don't know for sure, but I think Tim was actually just trying to make sure that anyone who may have been looking for the site and couldn't find it wouldn't think we were "out of business."  Looking at the site's traffic records, we were only down for a few hours on Sunday morning, but I can see where he may have even gotten the impression that it was down for most of the weekend.

My only concern is that my business competitors (including Journal Sentinel Interactive) who only see the blog, but not this thread, will just assume that my company committed the most sacriligious and odius of all possible offenses... letting a customer domain name lapse. No biggie as far as milwaukeehdtv is concerned, but potentially thousands of dollars in lost revenue as far as Trivera is concerned.
Tom Snyder

Joseph S

QuoteLooking at the site's traffic records, we were only down for a few hours on Sunday morning

TWC took a bit longer for me. Was thinking of putting a reservation down Sun AM right before the email came so it wouldn't be lost. .org seemed to disappear late night/early morning, switched to the "Network Solutions" generic page by morning with info to purchase and links, then back up sometime later last night. The .com was available as soon as I found the email around noon.

Tom Snyder

The .com was registered in a different month...so that one never disappeared. It's always been mapped, but we've never promoted it as a way to get to the site.

Another thing in play is individual computer DNS caching. I still couldn't get the .org to come up last night on my laptop, but my desktop brought it up just fine... same network, but the desktop hadn't tried to go to the site when the .org was down.
Tom Snyder

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: Tom SnyderMy only concern is that my business competitors (including Journal Sentinel Interactive) who only see the blog, but not this thread, will just assume that my company committed the most sacriligious and odius of all possible offenses... letting a customer domain name lapse. No biggie as far as milwaukeehdtv is concerned, but potentially thousands of dollars in lost revenue as far as Trivera is concerned.

Indeed, Tom.

Just to reiterate, it was me, Todd Wiedemann, that let the site lapse.

Tom and I emailed back and forth about renewing the site. He did everything he could. I dropped the ball.

I'll be working with Tom in the near future to make sure it never happens again.

StarvingForHDTV

What I did was create a permanent email address at Yahoo.  My registrar has my credit card info.  They send me an email telling me that in X # of days they will be billing my credit card.  This works out well for me.  If I ever want out, I just have to pay attention to the emails and stop the billing process.

I have been very happy with //www.1and1.com

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: StarvingForHDTVWhat I did was create a permanent email address at Yahoo.  My registrar has my credit card info.  They send me an email telling me that in X # of days they will be billing my credit card.  This works out well for me.  If I ever want out, I just have to pay attention to the emails and stop the billing process.

I have been very happy with //www.1and1.com

Thanks.

The email tied to the domain regisistration was through an ISP that I no longer use.

I've changed it to my gmail account, which will never go away.

Tom Snyder

We manage several hundred domain names  as a preferred partner of Network Solutions, and as such, not only do we get near-GoDaddy level prices, but we also get an administrative console so we never have to worry about stuff like changing email addresses and spam filters.  

We can even manage an account even if we're just the technical contact. I was unaware that we weren't set up that way on milwaukeehdtv.org... but we'll be working with Todd this week to get that fixed. :)
Tom Snyder

tazman

I've got a similar setup through Ipowerweb for my sons business web site.  You can control every aspect of their domain.  Accounts, forums, chatrooms,emails, spam, ftp, ect... etc...