News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8000HD DVR Thread

Started by mhz40, Tuesday Mar 30, 2004, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gb4fan92

mhz40
              Can you confirm this digital/analog audio on the new SA HD DVR box? Must say this was my biggest complaint about the 3100HD box. (Okay one of my complaints)  I was unable to program the digital/analog switching on my remote (MX500 - a great remote!) for my receiver to work automatically. Couldn't find a discreet code for my JCV. I hope this new set box isn't like the old 3100hd as far as the digital sound goes! (Perhaps I would make a great beta tester since I've had the 3100HD and the Pioneer 3510HD!!);) ;)

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by gb4fan92
mhz40
              Can you confirm this digital/analog audio on the new SA HD DVR box?
S/PDIF?   Or whatever they call it now... yes, the digital audio output feeds a signal no matter what you tune to on the HD DVR.

The Law

Just a couple of questions if anyone (well...mhz40 :) ) knows:

1)  Will the aspect ratios be flexible?  Currently, the Pioneer forces everything to "widescreen", "zoom" or "squeeze".  I cannot change this as it says "The picture type matches your screen type" (or something like that)

2)  Any info. on pricing?  The assumption here as that it will be the same as we're currently paying for an STB but with the $7.95 (or whatever) monthly service fee.

3)  Since us HD subscribers are being so patient, will TWC allow us to rent an SD DVR and only pay the monthly sub and not pay for 2 boxes (HD and SD) to get this service?  It's a long shot, since TWC does not seem to have a  "customer retention" program in the same way some Sat providers do; however, it don't hurt to ask (FWIW - I did ask a customer service person and she said no way).  Maybe there's a secret customer retention department we (I) don't know about...

4)  Finally, I'll ask the "when" question, of course, to keep the thread alive :D

robster1970

Green Bay must have had there's for a few weeks now. I've been a D" subscriber since 98. But I decided to try TW because of the HD-dvr. I have the 8000 DVR now. I got it on April 28 fresh out of the box. I love it. Very easy to record. Can't wait until D" has theirs. It's nice to have the best of both worlds with TW and D".

mhz40

1)  Will the aspect ratios be flexible?  Currently, the Pioneer forces everything to "widescreen", "zoom" or "squeeze".  I cannot change this as it says "The picture type matches your screen type" (or something like that)
> That should happen only when tuned to an HD channel, when the picture type (but not it's format) does match your screen.  I know of no changes in this functionality in the HD-DVR.

2)  Any info. on pricing?  The assumption here as that it will be the same as we're currently paying for an STB but with the $7.95 (or whatever) monthly service fee.
> No info.

3)  Since us HD subscribers are being so patient, will TWC allow us to rent an SD DVR and only pay the monthly sub and not pay for 2 boxes (HD and SD) to get this service?  It's a long shot, since TWC does not seem to have a  "customer retention" program in the same way some Sat providers do; however, it don't hurt to ask (FWIW - I did ask a customer service person and she said no way).  Maybe there's a secret customer retention department we (I) don't know about...
> I would not bank on it.  The DVR product is hot.

4)  Finally, I'll ask the "when" question, of course, to keep the thread alive :D [/B][/QUOTE]
> Without any direct knowlege, I would supect an early June release based on the testing results so far.

robster1970

The Price for the 8000 HD-DVR is $7.95 in Green Bay. You can switch between 480 and 1080. They have stretch, zoom, and normal also. I have a full screen HDTV. So now I can at least fill the screen with HD if I want to. But then it's only in 480 and the picture isn't as clear.

The Law

QuoteI cannot change this as it says "The picture type matches your screen type" (or something like that)
> That should happen only when tuned to an HD channel, when the picture type (but not it's format) does match your screen.QUOTE]

No, this happens for all channels.

Thanks for responding on the other questions as well.  Patiently, we sits. :rolleyes:

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by The Law
No, this happens for all channels.

Thanks for responding on the other questions as well.  Patiently, we sits. :rolleyes:
It has been a few months since using the Pioneer, so I re-connected it.  The function worked for me while the box was booting, but didn't afterwards.  I will check with Pioneer and report back here with an answer next week.
The stretch/zoom works on any SD channel (analog or digital) on the HD-DVR.  This is on the 720p/1080i component input of my Sammy with the output format on the DVR set to 720p.  I double-checked before replying. :blush:

gparris

Quote from mhz40:
3) Since us HD subscribers are being so patient, will TWC allow us to rent an SD DVR and only pay the monthly sub and not pay for 2 boxes (HD and SD) to get this service? It's a long shot, since TWC does not seem to have a "customer retention" program in the same way some Sat providers do; however, it don't hurt to ask (FWIW - I did ask a customer service person and she said no way). Maybe there's a secret customer retention department we (I) don't know about...
> I would not bank on it. The DVR product is hot.

No kidding, when I went to pay my TWC billing in person at the Kenosha office, they were out of DVRs with the exception for the free replacements they keep on hand if the 8000 SD models should breakdown for some reason. New subs or existing subs requesting them to be added to their service are out of luck for now. Nice of them to keep a few aside for the exchange factor - another reason to rent instead of buy in this case:there is one waiting for you for a no-hassle exchange at their office.
But HOT ? mhz40: you are so very right!  
I am glad I put myself (and my HDTV friends did, too) on the waiting list for the HD versions for whenever they come out because they will be gone in no time.
:D

Question:
So if I have a 16:9 HDTV, a local channel like 504 (TWC-NBC) is doing a non-HD show, for example, and I have sidebars because it is an HD-upconversion and not a real HD programme, just on that HD channel, I cannot use the "expand" feature on the 8000HD box to stretch the 504 channel being shown to eliminate those sidebars and keep it a 1080i upconversion?
In other words, I will have to hope the box has a S-video output to my HDTV set and use the expand feature there making the picture go to 480i?:eek:

robster1970

It has a S-video output.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris
Question:
So if I have a 16:9 HDTV, a local channel like 504 (TWC-NBC) is doing a non-HD show, for example, and I have sidebars because it is an HD-upconversion and not a real HD programme, just on that HD channel, I cannot use the "expand" feature on the 8000HD box to stretch the 504 channel being shown to eliminate those sidebars and keep it a 1080i upconversion?
In other words, I will have to hope the box has a S-video output to my HDTV set and use the expand feature there making the picture go to 480i?:eek:
Correct. You can only stretch material with a native format of 4x3 @ 480i.
On HD programs, you may not even be able to view it on the Y/C outputs... From what I have heard, the set top does not downconvert HD to SD. I don't have a Y/C cable on my setup to be able to say this is for sure, but I tried playing HD material back via the composite output (used to archive to a VCR) and got a blank screen.
On the plus side, all material is upconverted to either 1080i or 720p... including SD. No change here vs the Pioneer set top. On the downside, unlike the Pioneer, only one format is passed-thru to your TV. You cannot select multiple formats to pass-on to your display at the moment. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.
When tuned to an HD channel airing 4x3 material, gray sidebars are generated. I personally don't like it and wish that this were user selectable, because I have a DLP and don't have to worry about burn-in. For others this will help mitigate any screen problems when viewing 4x3 material on HD channels. Still others may have a stretch option on their TV's. I know mine does, but I would have to feed it a 480p signal.

Marc G

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris

Question:
In other words, I will have to hope the box has a S-video output to my HDTV set and use the expand feature there making the picture go to 480i?:eek: [/B]

I know this is the case for the current HD boxes. One workaround is to go into advanced settings and tell the box you have a 4:3 set and to zoom 16:9 material. This chops off the sides (which are just black bars on upconverted 4:3 material anyway). Your tv should just fill the entire screen then. It's a pain but it beats burn in.

gb4fan92

While we have been calling it a DVR the forums in AVS refer to it as a PVR. (Digital video recorder / Personal video recorder). A digital video recorder is similar to a vcr.  A personal video recorder has the same features as a dvr plus built in software that lets you do all the neat things we have been talking about. Talk in the forum has been comparing two versions of software being used - one called SARA and one called Passport. (Mhz40 which one is being tested here?) It appears that people believe that SARA is quite buggy.
      From what I've read it sounds like people who have used TIVO or Replay find the PVR boxes from the cable company has less features than what they were use to with TIVO. However people who have never used a PVR before (like myself) are very happy with these PVR's.
     Anyways check out the AVS PVR forum if your itching to get some more information on DVR/PVR'S. Hopefully we will be getting our PVR"S soon right Mhz40??
     One question I have. I know that you can record from the PVR to your vcr. Its this also true for DVD burners? Playback on the vcr suffers greatly from the original broadcast. I think I will be spoiled watching anything recorded on the PVR that if I actually want to save it on a vcr tape I'll be disappointed in the quality. So I can see a DVD burner in my future!

RickNeff

If you can record to a VCR, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to record to a DVD recorder.

I actually got tired of waiting and got a Toshiba HDD & DVD recorder.  It works quite well off the Pioneer TWC box.  In fact, now that everything is being recorded on the hard drive at the highest quality, it's actually harder for me to watch any DVDs that I record on my older DVD recorder (Panasonic E30) if they're set to 4 or 6 hour recording.

And the VCR is actually out of the recording loop completely.  The only reason it's even hooked up is in the rare instance something on tape needs to be watched.

borghe

I too have always separated DVR from PVR.. To be honest, Tivo IMHO is the only PVR in existence.. Allow me to explain.

What do you do with Time warner's DVR? You record.. That's it.. you have many ways you can record, but everything that is put on the hard drive is put on there because YOU put it on there.

The Tivo this isn't the case.. Sure you put stuff on there, but the Tivo also puts stuff on there that it thinks you might like based on viewing habits and preferences.. Anytime you set something to record, Tivo gives it a thumbs up. If I really like something I'll give it two thumbs up.. If I can't live without something, I'll give it three thumbs up. Based on these preferences, I have all sorts of stuff recorded automatically for me...

That is a personal video recorder.. A recorder than when all is said and done is personalized to your viewing habits and tastes.