News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8000HD DVR Thread

Started by mhz40, Tuesday Mar 30, 2004, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimmer11

What is the final price to add the SA 8000 DVR?  Also, does anyone know if TWC will add a Pioneer version of HD DVR?

Andy

borghe

here is a page with some complaints of the unit.. you guys can let us know how many of these still exist.. (most posts are only from 2-3 weeks ago)

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/3/1699.html?1090838224

gb4fan92

Do you need to bring your old box along to get the HD-PVR?  I plan on stopping to Mayfair after work and it would be more convient for me if I didn't have to stop home first and disconnect the old box and then go to Mayfair.  Anyone? Seem to remember when TWC was at Miller Park there were tons of DVR's there and you could just take one with you.

4runnergusto

I also picked up mine today, and this is my first experiece with DVR. Seems pretty nice so far. I do have a question. Can the Recording quality be changed, meaning higher quality with less recording time and vise versa?  The first recording I did seemed as though it had little glitches mostly noticable in audio. I am assuming this is just part of the compression for recording? They really did come through at a good time for me, as I was hoping I would be able to record the olympics and also the PGA championchip. Now I can catch all  the rest of the Nascar races as well, and I wont miss..... Man, this DVR stuff is cool.

Cheers,
Mark

The Law

QuoteDo you need to bring your old box along to get the HD-PVR?

No, I picked an HD-DVR from Mayfair but did not drop off my old box (I get charged for 2).  I kinda wanted to make sure the SA worked before I got rid of a known good config.

Glad the weather sucks - I have an excuse to stay inside this evening ;)

e-man

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
here is a page with some complaints of the unit.. you guys can let us know how many of these still exist.. (most posts are only from 2-3 weeks ago)

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/3/1699.html?1090838224

I haven't had time to play around with the recording to see if those problems still exist.  However, I had read that the picture quality is not as good as the pioneer boxes (both HD and SD).  In my case, the picture is the same for both.  In fact, the baseball game on INHD last night looked slightly better than what I was getting.  I had no problems with sound quality either.

The onscreen guide is side-barred, which looks a little different.  The cost is $7.95/month (I'm pretty sure that's what she said).

When I picked up the box, I asked about espn hd.  The rep said that they keep telling them that "they're working on it".

shimmer11

Any idea on how many SA boxes Mayfair kiosk has?

borghe

cost should be identical to the SD DVR, $8/month for the box and $5/month for the DVR service.

on that note it's kind of funny.. Tivo and Replay TV started out by charging you for their service because that was their only revenue, not to mention they were subsdizing the boxes. They were justified because they were culling this data and quite frankly giving you a ton of it in the form of show information used for recording and preferences. When the first DirecTivo was released they were still justified in charging for the service because they were still giving you more than just the info in the program guide, i.e. actors, directors, series data, etc.

This is further exemplified by Dish who WASN'T giving you any extra info or data and hence wasn't charging you any extra money for their PVR (initially).

This all leads me to current day cable companies. They are all charging you $5/month, and for what? They aren't giving you any extra data. All of the data the DVR uses to record and schedule is identical to the data available in the standard IPG on a digital box.

So my question remains, Tivos aside, what exactly do you pay $5/month for with Dish and cable DVRs?

:P

e-man

QuoteOriginally posted by shimmer11
Any idea on how many SA boxes Mayfair kiosk has?

If the stack of boxes she pulled mine out of are all the same, I'd say they had about 10 - 12 last night around 7:00pm.

sp44again

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe

So my question remains, Tivos aside, what exactly do you pay $5/month for with Dish and cable DVRs?

:P

Good question!

gb4fan92

I just picked up mine :rofl:   and there were 15 to 20 boxes stacked up.  A lady was stacking more as I was being waited on. I have mine hooked up but haven't had much time to play with it yet. I lost my HD pay channels (INHD & HDNET) but have all the pay channels (HBO,SHOW,TMC,ect) I know that will change later or I'll have to call and I will lose the pay channels.. Almost all the remote buttons were the same so I didn't have to reprogram it (great!).
                  Perhaps we will need a new forum thread for the dvr users as I'm sure there will be many questions and comments.

sp44again

QuoteOriginally posted by gb4fan92

Perhaps we will need a new forum thread for the dvr users as I'm sure there will be many questions and comments.

Don't forget bugs/problems/ complaints!

borghe

I believe that is what the recording forum is for.... I was tired of us HD Tivo users being the only ones hanging out in there. :D

Todd Wiedemann

Then, that'll close this thread.

Please redirect commentary to the thread in the 'Recording' section !