News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Readies HD/DVR, Off-Air Antenna Offer

Started by Gregg Lengling, Monday Mar 29, 2004, 11:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

DirecTV will soon implement an offer for current customers of the satellite TV service who wish to upgrade to a DirecTV HD receiver or a DirecTV DVR receiver.

Under the first version of the offer, a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49.

Through the second offer, a current DirecTV customer can get the same deal with the DVR receiver, but also have the option of upgrading the installation to include an off-air antenna for $99. The offer is available only in select markets, but gives customers access to local channels in high-def if they reside in one of the 32 markets covered by the promotion.

Cities in the promotion include Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington D.C., among others.

The off-air antenna strategy is new for the satellite TV company concerning locals and high-def programming.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

borghe

The antenna option is a bit confusing the way it was announced.. to clarify, you can get either an SD DVR or an HD receiver for $49, or you can get an HD receiver and off-air antenna for $99. All three options for new subs include a 3 LNB oval dish and free installation on everything. This promotion starts today.

Also, I guess this finally puts to rest the cable HD is cheaper than satellite HD arguments. At $8/month for a single box from cable (and still $0 from DirecTV) you would make your money back in 7 months with the receiver only and 12 months with the antenna... not to mention that by the time you made your money back with the antenna, your contract with DirecTV would be over, you could cancel service, and still get local HD channels for free with your nicely installed OTA antenna.

G-Man

borghe what about the dvris that included in the 99.I just got the 99 hd package friday. your post is a little different than gregg's. if the dvr is included I should be able to get that offer????
G-man

G-Man

is the dvr include I just got the 99 deal friday and would love to have the dvr. I think if it is I should be able to get that offer.
G-man

borghe

I don't know how stacking offers will work.. also, did you get the $99 existing sub offer for the new HD receiver? That is different from this deal... to be honest, this deal is even better than that one (still $100 but comes with a free rooftop antenna). I don't know what the answer is unfortunately... you can try working with customer retention, though starting a new contract on the $99 HD receiver deal it might be hard to negotiate..

unfortunately that is always the problem in wheeling and dealing with service providers.. you sign up for the great new deal but a week or month later they have an even better deal... :(

mhz40

It reads "a current customer can buy a DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV DVR receiver and have it installed for $49."
Does that mean I can "buy a Chevy Silverado or Ford F150 and fill it up for $45"... for $45?
Anyone sign up for this great deal yet?

MHz40

borghe

I just called and it is indeed available, specifically as I stated.

$49 will get you an HD receiver with free installation. $99 will get you an HD receiver plus antenna (she didn't say rooftop but that is what the release says) with free installation.

Ironically I would have taken it except for the fact that I honestly don't need another HD receiver or a rooftop antenna... (my existing Hughes E86 will work just fine on the bedroom for free).

Also as stated, the offer will extend your commitment by another year.

MathWiz579

Anyone happen to know how long DirectTV is offering this? I don't have an HDTV-ready TV yet, but will be getting one at the end of May. If the offer is limited-time only, I may just do the offer now and use the HD receiver with my regular TV until I get my new TV.

borghe

I believe the article on skyretailer.com said it would go through July 17th..