News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

set top boxes

Started by stevenq99, Monday Jan 13, 2003, 09:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenq99

Looking for advice on what set top box to buy.  I am considering the Panasonic TU-DST52 or the Samsung SIR-T151.  I don't really feel DIRECTV HD reception is worth the couple of hundred dollars diffrence for a couple of channels. The reviews on the samsung seem to be pretty good.  The Panasonic is billed as "next generation"  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Steven Q

mnr929rr

if u are looking for just ota check into the zenith 420@circuitcity.com. I had one and i also had a 151 and i think the zenith is nicer.

stevenq99

how do you set the outpot format on the Zenith?  The other tuners seem to have a switch on the back.   I like the vga output in addition to component outputs.

mnr929rr

it's right on the front which is nice and accessible.dont remember vga outputs,does the 151 have them cuz i thought the 150 only had them.

stevenq99

I do not think the 151 or the Panasonic has vga outputs.  Did you pay $399 for it or did you find it cheaper somewhere else?

mnr929rr

Panasonic??Zenith,and i did pay 399.

borghe

If an OTA only box is $399, than a DirecTV box isn't "a couple hundred" more. The Hughes can regularly be found at most Best Buys for $499, so only $100 more. Also, many times the Hughes can be found on sale at Best Buy for $475, so it would only be $75 more. Not a bad deal to get 4 additional channels. JMHO.

mnr929rr

I never said it was a couple hundred dollars more,did i?
You have to figure in the additional cost of programming which is 31-71 dollars per mo to get directv.

borghe

no, stevenq99 did.. sorry for the confusion.. For the programming extra, you get HDNet with any package, pay per view with any package, and premium packages cost $12 or less per month each.. If premium channels really aren't wanted you still get 1 1/2 channels for no extra charge..

Tom Snyder

Man, I'm feeling guilty. I bought my RCA DTC-100 from Vann's on the internet in 2000 for $249.

You guys know about PriceScan (http://www.pricescan.com) ?

Great place tofind the best price for this stuff. They show the 151 for as little as $349

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item514440.asp

Of course if you WANT to pay $399, you can get one at
Amazon.com
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

drgingras

A few more on-line pricing search sites:  

nextag

pricegrabber

pricewatch

And don't forget to check on prospective vendors:

Resellerratings

BizRate

BetterBusinessBureau

Happy Pricechecking !

BTW, was in Greenfield BeastBuy this weekend, 3 T151's, all open box :( at $399. One was in a customer's hands. A salesman was extolling the virtues of the Terk indoor/outdoor antenna. :bang: After the salesman left, I spoke with the buyer for a few minutes. He left the store without the Terk, but WITH our site address :D

He didn't have a home PC, but promised to look us up at his son's house. Maybe 2 new members for the price of 1?

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...

stevenq99

Thanks for all of your help.  Any one had any expereance with J&R music and computer world.  They have the samsung for $349 and the zenith for $339 shipping is $7.49.

Kevin Arnold

I've dealt with J & R in the past. They do a reputable job with one caveat: make sure the item is in stock when you order. If not you go into backorder hell. Be sure to check shipping charges before ordering also.  Good luck.
Kevin Arnold

borghe

Actually as one last option, maybe if you are looking on a budget you may want to go to American TV. I was there last year (around July) and they had a bunch, eg quite a few, DTC-100's open boxed on clearance. They had them for as low as $229. Just saying if you are on a budget it may be worthwhile to take a loko at an American. The only catch with the DTC is that you need either a breakout cable and or a transcoder depending on your TV's inputs.