News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Ok, So what do I need to get started?

Started by 2thdoc01, Tuesday Jan 07, 2003, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2thdoc01

Hi All,

I am new to this hd stuff so bear with me!

I am having a non packer involved superbowl party (bastards!) and I have a sony hs-10 ordered.

I will be getting a Yamaha rvx-1300 receiver as my current receiver doesnt have component inputs.

What do I need as far as equipment and service for hd programs?

I intend to watch network broadcast hd material, some cable or sat, and dvd's.

I have dig TWC, but the pic quality seems to be worse than direct tv from what I hear.

I was thinking of getting OTA HD, direct tv, and a new dvd player.

What type of cabling do I need?

* I have 4 rg60 lines run with one for ota.

Thanks!

Kurt

Todd Wiedemann

Welcome, Kurt !

First, what type of TV do you have ? It'll help with what we can recommend.

2thdoc01

I have an LCD projector coming. It is a sony vlp-hs10.

I will project on a 92 inch 16:9 screen and a 100 inch 4:3

Thanks!

Kurt

Matt Heebner

Right now Flanners is offering the HD satellite installation for $500. I think its an excellent deal. You get the oval triple LNB dish installed (and you made their job easier by having 4 runs of RG-6 already done), and a Hughes E86 HD Directv/OTA set-top box. Grab a good antenna....plug it into the STB and scan for all the OTA digital channels.

You can't beat the price.
Or you could call Time Warner for their HD cable box. I believe that TWC is transmitting NBC, ABC, PBS in digital/HD. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the workings of TW can help you with cable.

Matt

2thdoc01

Thanks Matt,

I got all my Yamaha and Klipsch stuff there, along with my xantech repeaters.

So you think there deal is pretty good?

Can I buy the stuff myself anywhere and install it?

Kurt

Matt Heebner

Yea, but it doesnt make sense. A oval dish with a 4x4 multi-switch, and triple LNB's is $150. The E86 will set you back $400. Add in the time and frustration of aiming a oval dish to hit THREE satellites (I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about installing dishes..I did my first one over five years ago, and have probably installed 20 or so for friends, family, etc......but aiming that sucka is a real pain in the butt. I've aimed it on two seperate occasions for atleast 2 hours each time. Would've helped to have a hand held signal strength meter though....:rolleyes: )

Let Flanners do the work for less than what it would cost you. The ad in the Journal/Sentinal also said that they would be able to get it done before the SuperBowl. I think it's a great deal. I would have had it done if they were offering when i bought and installed.

Matt

2thdoc01

So I think I will get that deal..where did you see the ad again?

So All I will need then is an HD antenna?

Do I connect the hd STB to my reciever? Then the rec to my projector?

Thanks,

Kurt

Matt Heebner

The ad was on the back page of The Weekend Guide insert on Friday. All you should have to do is get a good antenna...I would ask around or do some searching on the forums about what works best from your location...run it to the STB.
If your receiver supports high-bandwidth switching (50 Mhz or higher) then you should be able to run it thru.

And dont buy into the whole "HD Antenna" scam. All you need is a good UHF antenna. There is a auction going on (in the auction forum) for a Radio Shack Gold Double Bowtie UHF antenna. It is truely an amazing little antenna...but out in Grafton I am not sure if it will work.

Matt

Greg Oman

My dad recently took the plunge as well, and the deal Matt mentions.  He already had a DirectTV setup, so it was simply a matter for him of installing the oval dish and heads.

I might add that this particular setup has the ability to send a pretty sharp image to non-hdtv sets as well-- something I can't easily do with my integrated tuner Mits.

This is a pretty cost effective way to get going.

Greg O.

sp44again

So that deal at Flanners isn't just for first time Directv subscribers?

Matt Heebner

I do not know.
I do want to say though if anyone does get the Flanners deal...make sure you tell them where you heard it from. It would be excellent to get some advertising dollars from Flanners, and even maybe some special MilwaukeeHDTV.org deals and group buys or something.  This is exactly the market Flanners, Audio Emporium, and even American target.....People with a very expensive hobby and a thirst to upgrade !!:D :D

Matt

Greg Oman

sp44again-- I don't think that matters, however in Dad's case. they wanted to keep their original non-hd receiver for another room, and will pay the additional charge for the second receiver.

I don't think new customer vs old customer matters as much as buying the content (I don't remember, don't you usually sign a minimum time agreement- like 12 months?)  I think on those deals where you get the install and all the stuff for next to nothing, those may be for new accounts and have a minimum duration and package requirement, but at $500 I have to believe the consumer is bearing the full cost of the box, so DirectTV really shouldn't care.  As long as they can keep your subscription, they're ok with it.

Greg O.

JoeK

Kurt,

Getting back to your original question, "What do you need to get the Super Bowl in HD?".

The quickest, no additional cost way is to simply replace your digital TW box for a 3100HD.  TW does not charge anything extra for the HD box versus the digital cable box.  Getting the componet siganal to the projector from the set top box might be the most expensive part.  You have to feed the HD in componet and it is generally better to feed non HD in s-video.  

Long-term you need to check your OTA reception possiblities.  I don't remember if we have some one in the Grafton area getting OTA HD.  If you can get a consistant OTA signal the advise in the earlier posts maybe the way to go.  I have reception issues where I live and a tower from hell on top of my condo is not going to work.  

Good luck with your set-up.  I have had my front projector for over a year now and it still amazes me.

Joe

Gregg Lengling

You shouldn't have an OTA problem with any of the stations except channel 6's digital in the Grafton Area.  I'm in Cedarburg and get 4, 10, 12, 58 just fine.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

2thdoc01

Thanks Guys!

Greg..are you related to linda lengling??

Joe,

So if I upgrade to the 3100, how will the reg dig cable look on  a projector?

I assume that I will get 4, 10 and 12 in HD via TWC?  Any thing else will have to come from OTA?

If thats the case, direct tv may be better for reg viewing??

Thanks alot, I am pumped to see the SBowl at 100 inches!

Kurt