News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Help with OTA Reception in Waukesha Apt

Started by bigcheez, Monday Jan 09, 2012, 05:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcheez

I have invested good money in my own htpc/pvr. I am expecting to use this with ota programming. Paying for cable or satellite is not an option because this will not give me HD signals with my setup. Checking the reports on TV Fool, I should receive most local channels with a simple indoor antenna. I have tried some of the better indoor antennas available in multiple configurations with little success. Reception seems to improve at night and I think this may be the worst time of year. I have become very frustrated and feel like crying is the only option. What should I do or expect, short of moving closer to the tv towers?

LoadStar

Quote from: bigcheez;58175I have invested good money in my own htpc/pvr. I am expecting to use this with ota programming. Paying for cable or satellite is not an option because this will not give me HD signals with my setup. Checking the reports on TV Fool, I should receive most local channels with a simple indoor antenna. I have tried some of the better indoor antennas available in multiple configurations with little success. Reception seems to improve at night and I think this may be the worst time of year. I have become very frustrated and feel like crying is the only option. What should I do or expect, short of moving closer to the tv towers?

You're right, Waukesha should be well within the broadcast range for all of the major broadcasters. I'm in New Berlin, only a few miles from Waukesha, and I'm using a basic "rabbit ear" antenna and can pick up everything. You definitely shouldn't have to move. :)

Which ATSC tuner card are you using? And what type of antenna? Finally, what type of construction is the apartment - is it a big masonry multi-unit structure, or a stick-built? (If it's a big, masonry apartment structure, it might be the structure blocking the signal.)

bigcheez

I live in an apt above a store in downtown waukesha. I have windows that face north which I can sort of point the antennas ENE. The building is masonry and everything around me is on the same level and either masonry or steel clad. I have two HVR2250s giving me four tuners. I am currently trying out the Clearstream Micron R and am contemplating setting up a rig with the Clearstream4 and Clearstream5, a lot for my small apt but will sacrifice for good reception. Any suggestions or shared situations are very welcome.

ArgMeMatey

For me this time of year is the best, because my issue is leaves on trees and moisture.  My worst reception is during summer rainstorms.  

You might want to check to see if your window has a Low-E or reflective coating, or a metal screen, that might be blocking some signal, too.

bigcheez

Not a chance these windows have any special coatings, they are so old I was thinking they might be leaded glasss :huh?:

kevbeck122

I lived in an apartment in Waukesha about 5 years ago... my apt faced west.  I had the antenna pointed East, with another unit across the hall in the way.  Most of the time I had no problems pulling in all of the stations.  I believe it was a brick exterior.

This is the antenna I was using: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB2_antenna.html.