News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Audio Descripton on...I didn't turn it on.

Started by cdnelson, Friday Sep 27, 2013, 07:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnelson

Is anyone else having issues with Time Warner Cable occasionally having channels turning on the "Audio Descriptive Service" even though no other channels do?

If you don't know what that is, it describes the non-verbal action for the seeing impaired.  "Bob opens the door", etc...

I've checked the settings on the box and on the TV, the SAP is NOT enabled.  In fact turning on the SAP will sometimes get rid of it...but then most of the other channels are in Spanish.  Oy...

Any thoughts?

ddeerrff

Yes, Master Chef Jr on food channel was having the same issue.

ddeerrff

Recorded NCIS last night and it came with annoying SAP overvoice.  The only SAP options I see on our Samsung STB is to select either Primary or Secondary language.  No option to turn SAP off.  

We have also been plagued by SAP during live viewing on occasions.  

How do I turn SAP off?

(On the TV itself, a Samsung LN46B630, I see no SAP options at all.)

Jack 1000

Are you talking about closed captioning?  Or some different service?

For TWC boxes, that can be turned on/off via the Settings button on the remote.

I have not used the SAP option.  My understanding is that this usually gives Spanish commentary if turned on.  You may want to check under settings and see that is turned off..

Other steps to try:

1.) With CC and SAP both turned off, change channels on a commercial, or just observe if a second audio or captioning exists.  If it's only on that channel, it could be something wonky with the source for that show.  If this continues for the next show on the problematic station, turn off the box, unplug it, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and allow the system to reboot.

2.)  If you are having consistent closed captioning issues, you can do any of the following:

a.) Call customer service, give them the channel number, and applicable program along with a description of the problem.

b.) Email their Closed Captioning Support Department with details of the channel and programing issue:

closedcaption@twc.com

c.) Send a FAX regarding the closed captioning issue to:

1-877-430-1386

d.)  Address the issue in a formal letter: The last page of your TWC billing statement gives details on whom to contact for this.  You can also print out your statements at My Services for Reference to issues such as these and more.

Satch
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

LoadStar

Quote from: Jack 1000;59717Are you talking about closed captioning?  Or some different service?

Audio Descriptive Service is for vision-impaired television customers. It has an audio narrator that describes what is going on in the scene. It is carried on the SAP channel.

It is a separate service from closed captioning, which is a service for hearing-impaired customers.

ddeerrff

Yes, the Audio Descriptive Service.  Very annoying.  Seems to have corrected itself now.  

Still, seems strange there is no way turn this off in the STB -