News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DOCSIS 3 modems in MKE market

Started by ArgMeMatey, Wednesday Apr 17, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerbrat

I see most everyone here bought the 6141...I decided to try the 5341J.  No issues so far.

What is everyone seeing for # of bonded downstream channels?  I've got standard 15/1 (or 16/1.2 ... whatever it is now).   I'm only seeing 4  channels down, 1 channel up - is that normal for 15/1 in the milwaukee market?  If I were to upgrade to one of the wideband tiers, would I see the full 8x4?

beerbrat

Ahhh...nevermind.  Some poking around dslreports revealed this to be normal.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: beerbrat;59612I see most everyone here bought the 6141...I decided to try the 5341J.  No issues so far.

Did you note what factory firmware the 5341J came with, and whether that changed after you plugged in to Time Warner?  When you get a chance can you please post the current firmware version?

beerbrat

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59620Did you note what factory firmware the 5341J came with, and whether that changed after you plugged in to Time Warner?  When you get a chance can you please post the current firmware version?

I didn't note what the firmware was before now, but it shows 5.5.4.9J now.  I'm guessing that's what it shipped with because that firmware has been around since last summer.

DJay

Would like to turn in my TW modem and purchase my own possibly SB6141. My question is that I have TW bundle cable tv, phone & internet! Would I need a special unit for both phone & internet like my TW unit (all in one) or would SB6141 work? Please give info on this! Thanks

cdnelson

You will keep the telephony modem for the phone only, and use your purchased modem for internet.

They will not charge you modem rental for the phone service.

I'm in the same boat, and this is what the phone rep told me.

kevbeck122

That is correct.  My parents have phone and internet - I bought them a modem to avoid the rental charge, and they kept the other modem for phone service w/ no rental charge.  You just have to call TWC with the MAC address of the purchased modem and have them move the internet service to that.

ddeerrff

So along with that new modem, you will need to purchase a 2 way splitter and a couple of short F-F cables.  

Remove the coax from the leased modem and connect it to the input of the 2-way splitter.  Then connect the outputs of the splitter to the two modems.  Phone gets plugged into the TW modem, and the ethernet gets plugged into the new modem.  

Call to activate the new modem.  

Don't be surprised if they manage to disable your phone modem when activating your new modem.  Level 1 support did that to me, and had to transfer me to level 3 to get the telephone modem reactivated.

markd

Quote from: DJay;59640Would like to turn in my TW modem and purchase my own possibly SB6141. My question is that I have TW bundle cable tv, phone & internet! Would I need a special unit for both phone & internet like my TW unit (all in one) or would SB6141 work? Please give info on this! Thanks

The irony is that a tech would likely come to your house, install a splitter and you would keep the current box you have but it would only be handling the phone portion while the internet portion is split off to your new modem.  I've argued with TWC over the logic of this since the "rental fee" would disappear from my bill, but the device itself would remain in my home.  It makes no sense but it's the way it was explained to me...twice! :bang:

cdnelson

The only upside being, if by some statistical anomaly your new modem should fail, you've got a TWC approved replacement already in house.

Watch your bills after doing this though...in case they keep billing you for the modem since it's in your house.