News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Was it a lie from uverse?

Started by dj1111, Wednesday Apr 28, 2010, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj1111

Just had a guy from uverse visit my house.  I again said I was not interested because of the one thing that sets cable apart from uverse and satellite, the analog channels.  If I would go with uverse I would have to pay $42. more per month just in set top box rentals.  The uverse guy said Charter cable is going to cut the analog channels this year, 2010.  Has anyone else heard this?  If they do it they will lose me as a customer.

trev57

Quote from: dj1111;55471Just had a guy from uverse visit my house.  I again said I was not interested because of the one thing that sets cable apart from uverse and satellite, the analog channels.  If I would go with uverse I would have to pay $42. more per month just in set top box rentals.  The uverse guy said Charter cable is going to cut the analog channels this year, 2010.  Has anyone else heard this?  If they do it they will lose me as a customer.

I haven't heard anything about that from Charter or anyone else that has Charter. Sounds like the guy was trying to get you to get Uverse anyway he could. Maybe working on commission?

budda

I thought it was somewhere on this site, I read that Charter and TWC will support analog, till at least 2012. That is really the only edge aside from fear of change that keeps there costumer base as large as it is. I am sure if this was going to happen, if you asked they will tell you. Think about it, the number of receivers they would have to have on hand to switch is mind blowing. This type of change in service will not happen without warning from them,( cable) in my option. Peace

WPXE ION

I dont think they can get rid of the analog channels without providing some type of box to decode them. Part of the FCC rules.

techguy1975

They are starting to do that here in Nashville (we're in Comcast land here)..    I don't know the exact date of the analog cutoff, but they are offering little digital converters for free.  If you do nothing, you'll still get the local TV channels, and one or two other stations, but thats it..

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: dj1111;55471The uverse guy said Charter cable is going to cut the analog channels this year, 2010.  Has anyone else heard this?  If they do it they will lose me as a customer.
Time Warner has been cutting analog channels for a few years now.  I am sure they will continue to cut as more of their customers move to digital TVs and therefore want the higher resolution of their digital service.  

Eventually they will be down to a minimal number of analog channels, but we don't know yet how many of those might go on Clear QAM vs. being available just with a digital converter.  

To my knowledge they have not publicized a schedule for phase out.  I am sure they have a plan but I am also sure they are watching the market carefully and waiting for the wind to blow the right direction so they don't p!ss on too many people.

gparris

AT&T U-Verse, an alternative TWC cableTV, okay...:rolleyes:

I wouldn't believe AT&T on anything, as they still are trying to sell me phone service in area that is not their coverage area.

When I lived in Kenosha, I was in area dominated by Verizon only, formerly GTE.
Now that I live in the Lake Geneva area, I get only TDS service, but still get mailed in offers all the time from AT&T for phone service, what a joke.

So anytime AT&T wants to sell me anything or "inform" me of anything, forget it, I don't believe them.:eek:

If TWC wants to close out analogue except for maybe the most basic of channels like offers in its basic package or hand out inexpensive converters for a buck a month (or free) for the older analogue sets still around, well then, good, IMO, maybe their reliance on SDV will be diminished or so it works better. :D

NET10

So I ordered U-verse, I live in Menomonee Falls.  The VRAD is 3 blocks from my house.  Install was scheduled for Wednesday morning.  All kinds if issues including them needing to run a new line from the pole in the backyard to my basement.  No signal after three days.  They have no idea why it doesn't work, they say "sorry" and tell me to try again in the future.  
The next week a couple of oranged shirted folks are walking down my street and tell me that they noticed that new fiber optics lines are in my house and they ask if I would like to try U-verse.  I laughed MAO.  The whole thing was a joke.

There, I feel better.

Jack 1000

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;55480Time Warner has been cutting analog channels for a few years now.  I am sure they will continue to cut as more of their customers move to digital TVs and therefore want the higher resolution of their digital service.  

Eventually they will be down to a minimal number of analog channels, but we don't know yet how many of those might go on Clear QAM vs. being available just with a digital converter.  

To my knowledge they have not publicized a schedule for phase out.  I am sure they have a plan but I am also sure they are watching the market carefully and waiting for the wind to blow the right direction so they don't p!ss on too many people.

I heard or read somewhere a while back that TWC will keep its analog signals up until 2014, but don't quote me on that!!!! They should push everyone to a digital box and move everyone to a true 100% digital service.  It would save a TON of bandwidth!

And seriously, if TWC did the above, wouldn't there no longer be a need for SDV because everything would be all Digital in the first place?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide