News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Help lowering my TWC bill...

Started by amaroq, Thursday Sep 06, 2012, 01:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amaroq

Hey all,

I just took a (long overdue) look at my Time Warner bill and what I'm getting for what I pay, and I'm pretty sure that, even relative to other TWC victims, I'm getting ripped off.  My total bill this month was $146.59, and that just seems absurd to me.  Here's how it's broken down:

CURRENT MONTHLY SERVICES
   Video Services
      DOUBLE PLAY BUNDLE                                                             $104.90
         Bundle Includes: Basic Service, Standard Service, and
         Standard Internet
      08/20-09/19 DVR Service                                                         $10.95
      08/20-09/19 HDTV Video Recorder                                          $8.95
   High Speed Online Services
      08/20-09/19 Turbo Internet                                                    $10.00

Subtotal for Current Monthly Services                                                      $134.80

FEES & TAXES
   Franchise Fee                                                                             $4.16
   WI State and Local Taxes                                                           $7.55
   FCC Regulatory Fee - Cable                                                        $.08

Subtotal for Fees & Taxes                                                                        $11.79

TOTAL                                                                                                          $146.59

That's almost $147 per month for just internet and the "standard" HDTV service with one lonely HD-DVD box -- in other words, NO phone service, NO premium channels, etc.

My first step is definitely going to be to ditch the $10/month RoadRunner turbo.  I got that as a "free for 12 months" promo but it's expired and I don't need it.  Beyond that, though, I don't know where I should be looking.  How does what I'm paying for the "double play bundle" and the HD-DVD compare to what other people are paying?  And what's the best way of getting my rates discounted?  With other similar services I've called and asked to speak to the retention department and tell them I'd like to cancel service because my bill is too high (which, to be honest, I AM considering at this point).  Is that pretty much the tactic to use with TWC?

Thanks!

Ralph Kramden

WOW, that's expensive. The only service I have with those crooks is Road Runner internet. And that's up to $56.70 per month, but we need high speed internet to stream HD Netflix. We don't watch much TV, so we just have Netflix streaming and our OTA antenna. We were Dish Network subscribers for many years until we cancelled a couple years ago. My suggestion is to switch to Dish Network or Directv(if you want the NFL package).

If you insist on keeping TWC for some reason, when you talk to customer retention, be ready to cancel at that time. So have a backup plan ready to go. I'm sure people tell them all the time they're going to cancel, but they know they're bluffing.

PONIES

Get rid of the DVR and get a CableCARD tuner. I've tested this unit on Time Warner and it performs fine.

That DVR fee will change from $18 a month to a $2 a month CableCARD rental fee if you go this route.