News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC/HD200 Compatability

Started by MagicMan, Friday Jan 10, 2003, 01:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMan

I am rather new to this subject so this might be a novice question. I have a Sony KP-53XBR35 since 1994. Will I get a HD picture if I add the HD200 Sony Tuner with Time Warners new HDTV Cable box? Is it worth the $800 to convert? Will it work through their cable system or only with satellite? I also want to hook up a progressive scan DVD player through the HDTV tuner.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

borghe

The Sony box you mention will only work with satellite and OTA. You will actually be able to get OTA HD, but it will be downconverted to 480i and shown letterboxed. It will look as good as DVD. You will not be able to watch HD on TWC at all as I believe the 480i output goes black with HD material. The Sony box you mentioned is just an ATSC tuner. You can't hook up any HDTV sources to it at all for conversion. Wish I had better news for you..

MesaV

WHAT????  I think, but not positive, that the Sony HD200 will show OTA sources in their native format i.e. if the signal is 1080i it will show 1080i, if it's 720p it will show 720p...  I have had the Sony HD100 for 2 years now and I'm thinking of upgrading to the HD200.  The Sony HD100 only displays signals in 1080i and 480i and I'm going to use it for the wife's new HDTV.  I will be going to Flanners this afternoon to check it out; and I'll report back later today.

Gregg Lengling

If you check out the link below it sort of states it supports Native 480p, 720p and 1080i.

http://www.800stereo.com/prods/sonySAT-HD200.html
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by MagicMan
I am rather new to this subject so this might be a novice question. I have a Sony KP-53XBR35 since 1994. Will I get a HD picture if I add the HD200 Sony Tuner with Time Warners new HDTV Cable box? Is it worth the $800 to convert? Will it work through their cable system or only with satellite? I also want to hook up a progressive scan DVD player through the HDTV tuner.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi MagicMan,

I own the Sony HD200.  In my opinion, it's a wonderful set top box.  If you get Time Warner's "new HDTV Cable box", you do not need the Sony.  You can use TW's cable box to view their HD material on your TV.  The HD200 will accept TW's cable line and allow you to view their analog channels.  As far as I know it will not allow you to view their "digital" or HDTV channels.  You cannot hook up a progressive scan DVD player through the HDTV tuner, you must hook that item up directly to your TV's input jacks.

The Sony HD200 will allow you to view satellite (DirecTV), OTA, and analog cable.  For satellite, you will need a dish, and a subscription to DirecTV.  For OTA you will need an antenna.  For analog cable you will need the cable feed from TWC and a subscription to their service.

I hope that helps,

Starving

MesaV

Gregg, that information is absolutely correct.  StarvingForHDTV, that information is absolutely correct.  Also, to view HD content you need an HD Ready TV.  And as my luck would have it Flanners sold their last 2 HD200 this morning, with more on order.

borghe

To be correct, to view HD content in HD quality on the HD200, you need an HD Ready set. However, the HD200 does downconvert HD material to 480i letterboxed, making it viewable on any set. I think that is MagicMan's main question being that his TV is a little older.

MesaV

Thank you, borghe, I forgot about that.