News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8000HD DVR Thread

Started by mhz40, Tuesday Mar 30, 2004, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhz40

Browsing various threads here, it's clear that at least some of them are getting off-topic with questions on the progress of the cable version of the SA 8000HD-DVR launch.
In an effort to consolidate information, thoughts and questions, I suggest we focus here for the upcoming weeks...

Latest info--- *
-Beta test has been running on a limited basis for 3 weeks or so.
-Test will be expanding to more TW employees very soon.
-Results are generally very good
-Still running beta code
-Mhz40's Sammy does not work with the DVI port. :mad:
-No talk of 'friendly' customer testing. :mad:
-No launch date set
-No pricing info known

*All subject to change... even by the time you read this.

MHz40

The Law

Thanks for the update.  Though unofficial, and all, it is very much appreciated that you have provided us with the information "fix" we sometimes crave.

In the meantime, I just tell my wife "don't worry, soon I'll be able to record my footie and watch it later".

Again, thanks for the update.

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by mhz40
Test will be expanding to more TW employees very soon.
How about a part time job so I can get to test.:wave:

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
How about a part time job so I can get to test.:wave:

:rofl:

I just hope these won't be much more to rent than the SD DVRs!

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
I just hope these won't be much more to rent than the SD DVRs!
My sister has insight and they already have the HD DVR. It is no more than the regular for them.

JoeK

shimmer11

FYI...Just spoke with a TW rep at the Mayfair Mall kiosk...He said by June the HD DVR's will arrive.  He also added my name to the list!  

Andy

gparris

Quote :
FYI...Just spoke with a TW rep at the Mayfair Mall kiosk...He said by June the HD DVR's will arrive.:confused:

June?  I just "converted" a friend of mine to TWC from DTV because that HD DVR was to appear in March..."first quarter" and all...Ugh!

It's not here yet!!!:eek:  

She has the SA8000 SD DVR, instead, connected to her HDTV set and the only reason she is coughing up the other $11 a month over her DTV bill (TC subscription with DirecTivo and a bedroom box) was that HD DVR "edge" TWC had for the HDTV she bought.

She is wondering if TWC is "holding out on her" or I am telling her "stories"!:rolleyes:  

Personally, for myself, 2 DVRs and 2 HD boxes is getting a little expensive for me, too. But I am hooked on the DVR part and the HD channels TWC offers are sufficient not to pass up...but it is costing me an extra $100 in this year (thru June) in box rentals as TWC fights with its HD DVRs...I guess being on a "waiting list" calms you down a little, but not when your friends think you are an idiot.

But ...June?

By then, the HD-Tivos will out on store shelves and she will be whipping out her credit card to buy one, cutting TWC service and spending that extra $11 for the DTV HD package (and she still has her dish up and SD Tivo in storage).:blush:

I hope the CSR at that Kiosk in Mayfair was wrong.:bang:

mhz40

I swear, sometimes I think people just make things up instead of saying "I don't know".

Whats wrong with "I don't know"... if that's what you know?  (My Yogi Berra impression...)

Testing is going well.  If the schedule holds, it will be sooner than June.

MHz40

gparris

Thanks for the update...maybe in May (next month) the HD DVRs will end the testing and folks like us on the forum and on "the list" will get called for these incredible cable boxes. :D

Then we could have a thread about our experiences and such.:cool:  

I told her last night that the boxes were coming and as soon as I have one, she will have one and it will get installed...and I put her "on the list" to call when one is available.

Sorry, the "Yogi Berra" routine just doesn't work well....people want answers, especially when their money is involved, even with friends.:eek:

mrmike

Anyone aware of whether there is active Firewire on these boxen?

borghe

no, there is only one cable/sat box out there with active firewire built in and that is some select Comcast areas using the motorola STB. oterhwise your only option for firewire out is either an OTA-only box, a 169time modded DirecTV box, or certain old Dish boxes...

and don't expect that to change anytime soon... Hollywood wants firewire on cable boxes like bill gates wants linux installed on his home computer.

gparris

Try this website link to the SA8000HD for more information...

http://www.sciatl.com/customers/Source/4004400.pdf

Maybe this could clear some answers up...:)

mrmike

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
Hollywood wants firewire on cable boxes like bill gates wants linux installed on his home computer.

And yet the cable companies voluntarily signed up to provide it by April 1st.  Not that they've done so, but they did sign up for it.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmike
Anyone aware of whether there is active Firewire on these boxen?
No active firewire.