News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Mits gone bad?

Started by SugarRay, Wednesday Aug 18, 2004, 10:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

I have a 3 yr old Mits WS-55807.  All of a sudden the picture went bad on all of my inputs (cable, dvd). The picture looks "bent" like you are looking thru a curved mirror.  When I go to the TV guide channel, the bottom of the screen is in a semi-circle.  Also, the Green and Red colors have seperated from each other.  I check my cables. This should not be happening.

Any suggestions????

Matt Heebner

I have a WS55807, and already have had this problem twice. I hate to tell ya, but it is not good at all.

The first time this happened, the solder joints on the red convergence IC chips cracked. It was still under warrenty, and a service guy came out and re-soldered the joints. That was back in October. Four weeks ago, the exact same thing happend, only this time the TV is out of warrenty. I have another service guy comes out to check it while I'm thinking it's just the solder joints again. Nope...the convergence IC chips fried out. Yep..$500 bucks for IC chip replacement. I call Mits, talk with a guy and they agree to help pay for the repair..roughly half of the bill. The service shop picked up my TV two weeks ago, and I hopefully will have it back sometime later this week, or early next week.

Unfortunatly this is a design flaw with this particular chassis model. The second service guy said to expect this same repair in roughly 3 to 5 years. It is just a poorly engineered design.

I am having it fixed, but the next time it happens, that'll be it with Mits TV's.

If you want to do more research, do a search in the Mitsubishi forum at //www.hometheaterspot.com. There are TONS of people with the same problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck!

Matt

davezen2

My first thought would be that your convergence is off, but if it's doing it on all inputs- that doesn't sound right...

It almost sounds like the problem this guy was having on the SPOT.   Check out this thread.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=426772&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

edit:  whoops, looks like Matt beat me on this one!  Maybe I should try answering faster than a half hour after hitting the "reply" button!  :)

Matt Heebner

Here is a thread with pictures of the problem you are having.

Mits Warping Issue

Matt

SugarRay

THat is exactly the problem.  However, I never seem to have good luck.... I was able to call American where I got the TV and they set me up with an appoitment today.  So before I left for work, I turned on the TV to make sure it was reacting the same.... well, no problem.  Called the Tech and he said it would be better to have the problem persisting when he comes to make sure he can diagnose correctly.

I also called Mits to get me stuff ready to send in to see if they will help with the bill.

Matt Heebner

DO NOT WAIT!!!! Show him the pictures on the thread at Home Theater spot, take digital pictures, something. Even though it is happening sporatically, it will get worse very quickly. If you continue to watch TV with the IC chip solder cracked or frying out, and getting worse...it can affect the TV's mainboard which is like $1000 to $1200 to replace. The TV simply cannot continue having the convergence so far outta whack.

When I had the first sevice guy come out, mine was also sporatic. But I showed him the pictures, and talked to him about the solder joints on the horizontal IC chips. He knew exactly where to look.

Matt

Ralph Kramden

I had the same problem with my 55807 about 6 months ago. I had it a little over 3 years when it started. I'm glad I bought the extended warranty. This is a known problem with the 55807. The solder joints on the convergence panels loosen up or crack. Good luck.

SugarRay

OK... I have made my appt and contacted mits about them helping to pay for the cost.  Repair guy doesn't come for a week - so no MNF for me.  Will the repair guy be able to fix it on site?

Bigdog

Is a WS65511 prone to it as well?  Makes me glad I got the 5yr extended warranty from American...

gparris

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdog
Is a WS65511 prone to it as well?  Makes me glad I got the 5yr extended warranty from American...

I only got the 3 year warranty from American ending this January for the same set...you sort of took my paranoia and ran with it.:eek:

The last thing I need is to get the set starting to warp out with a bad convergence board after the holiday season...:(

I guess I had better renew that warranty if at all possible!:rolleyes:

Bigdog

Hopefully it does not affect our sets :D   I haven't had to call American for anything on it yet but glad I got it just in case. Which American did you get it from? I got mine from the one in Brown Deer.

gparris

Bought it at the Oak Creek store and they had delivery problems with a badly chipped shield that they wanted me to keep,
along with a dirty right hand to bottom mirror  they refused to fix.
This caused a "browning" sort of discoloration in lighter scenes.
They said they wouldn't fix it, it was okay and would go away, but of course, it didn't.
If they continue to offer terrible service, I will probably sell the set and buy elsewhere.:mad:

Bigdog

Wow that sucks, the only bad thing I had with my delivery is I had to out the shield on myself and they charged an extra $20 since they had to take it apart and put it back together downstairs (which American refunded after I complained about it). I would complain about the damage too, in fact would not have even signed off on it at delivery.

tothemax

I spent the extra $200.00 bucks and bought the WS55857 which at that time was called the platinum plus. It is one step above the WS55807. Has anyone heard about this problem with the set I have?

SugarRay

Well the tech came out and resodered the IC Convergence Circuits.  Hopefully that will last..... $200 bucks later.

Now hopefully MIts will kick in some cash