News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Hitachi or Sony?

Started by mcneguy, Tuesday Jul 13, 2004, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

I haven't been around for quite a while but I'm back with a question.  My new huge house in Menomonee Falls will be done in 2 weeks complete with home theater in the exposed basement.  I want to upgrade from my 42" Mits HDTV to a 60" LCD projection and I can't decide between the Sony non XBR model and the Hitachi 60v500 model.  The Hitachi has some features that the Sony doesn't (memory for settings per input, night mode, some other stuff) but Sony has the name and reputation.  I went to American to see them both but the two sets have such a different setup that it is impossible to compare. Cnet says Hitachi has a better picture.

What do you folks think, also the fast motion problems that LCD projection televisions have, does it bother you?

Thanks again

AndrewP

There is nothing wrong with Hitachi reputation.
If it has better picture for you, not CNET, then go for it.

Andrew

720p

I don't know a lot about Hitachi HDTVs but Sony's are great for sports.  If you're a big sports fan I'd suggest seeing if you can find info which compares sporting events on each TV.

HiFiTy

I think that in projection TVs, Hitachi has a better reputation than Sony.  I think that the fast motion problems are more with DLP than with LCDs.  IMO, the biggest knock against the LCD projectors is the contrast ratio (or lack of).  The biggest question mark in my mind regarding these TVs is the life span of the light source and its replacement cost.

Gregg Lengling

Can't attest to the LCD flavors but my RPTV has a fantastic picture and I've been very satisfied with it.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

StarvingForHDTV

I have never understood people who buy products just because they have the Sony name on them.  I would go with the best picture quality at your price range.

Good luck,

Starving

mcneguy

Well Starving I will explain the reason for my query in the first place.  I first saw the Sony at Flanners and was very impressed.  I dropped by American because I live just a couple of miles from the Oak Creek store to check on pricing and I saw the Hitachi.  This caused me to research and look at reviews of both sets.  Cnet gave the Hitachi a higher rating.  I went back to American and even though both sets were displaying the same HDNET program they were dramatically different, not just the usual differences you might find between sets of varying quality which led me to believe that the setups on the televisions are dramatically different, probably to steer consumers toward one particular one that American gets a better deal on.  I have since seen the Hitachi at Colders with a proper setup and am just floored by the picture.  You can see a slight red push on the Sony (and being the owner of a Mits HD Ready 42inch rear projection I know what red push looks like) that isn't there on the Hitachi.  The Hitachi looks brighter and more natural.  The non HD picture is quite a bit better on the Hitachi as well plus you can save configurations per input on the Hitachi, the Sony is still one global setting for all inputs.

I do appreciate the groups input, thanks again.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcneguy
Well Starving I will explain the reason for my query in the first place.  I first saw the Sony at Flanners and was very impressed.  I dropped by American because I live just a couple of miles from the Oak Creek store to check on pricing and I saw the Hitachi.  This caused me to research and look at reviews of both sets.  Cnet gave the Hitachi a higher rating.  I went back to American and even though both sets were displaying the same HDNET program they were dramatically different, not just the usual differences you might find between sets of varying quality which led me to believe that the setups on the televisions are dramatically different, probably to steer consumers toward one particular one that American gets a better deal on.  I have since seen the Hitachi at Colders with a proper setup and am just floored by the picture.  You can see a slight red push on the Sony (and being the owner of a Mits HD Ready 42inch rear projection I know what red push looks like) that isn't there on the Hitachi.  The Hitachi looks brighter and more natural.  The non HD picture is quite a bit better on the Hitachi as well plus you can save configurations per input on the Hitachi, the Sony is still one global setting for all inputs.

I do appreciate the groups input, thanks again.

Its always hard to correctly judge a TV in a store. The lighting sucks, and the TV's are always in torch mode.

4runnergusto

My initial response is Hitachi. Sounds like you like it more. I have been disapointed enough by Sony products that I generally stay away from them. To me, their name means Too big to care about quality. I don't have any first hand experience with the sets you are talking about, but may I suggest that you go to hometheaterspot.com. You will find people that  probably have both sets, and you can see what they like and what kind of headaches that they have from their decisions. Good luck.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. as someone else mentioned, there is probably a real good chance that the set is not set up properly at either store, and as they also said, the lighting and watching conditions are not too good. A lot of people at the hometheaterspot are really into hardcore tweaking of there sets, and you will get a good idea of how good a picture you can get out of them.

summerfun

As an owner of a Hitachi 48" CRT RPTV for 10 years and an owner of a SONY 60" HD LCD RPTV, I can tell you that both are very good sets. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

I also own an RCA 60" CRT RPTV for the basement and it is not half the TV set as the Hitachi or Sony.

If you are going CRT RPTV, I would pick the Hitachi. If you are going LCD RPTV, both would be great.

Ralph Kramden

Have you considered front projection? Will this be your every day TV?

Bebop

And there is also the the Panasonic.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun