News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv Locals Question

Started by Mags, Thursday Jun 24, 2004, 11:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mags

I currently have Directv, along with the local package (basically for Fox - I get the HD locals with antenna).

My question is, how come when a show comes on that is broadcast in Dolby Digital - like the Simpsons or King of the Hill, directV does not pass the DD signal through?  Our Local Fox does broadcast digital (barely - I can't get it) - why doesn't it come through the satellite?

Ralph Kramden

Mags, do you have one of the newer Directv receivers with DD output? If so, are you running digital cable from sat. receiver to home theater receiver? And I'm assuming you have a Dolby Digital receiver?

Mags

Yes, I've got a DD receiver - Zenith SAT520 - it's a HD receiver - I get DD from all other channels that I should - including OTA - but not from Fox 6????

kjnorman

The locals on DirecTV are the equivalent of the analog OTA signal.  Therefore you will not get Fox widescreen or any dolby digital signal.  You will not get the local digital transmission.

Now, when DirecTV starts to broadcast Fox HD later in the year, you will get the Network feed as Milwaukee is a Fox O&O market.

Otherwise your best bet will be FOX OTA when they finish relocating their attenna (see other threads on this).

Kerry

Talos4

Mags, I've never received a DD signal from the locals on my DTV box. Until I upgraded to the HD package.

Don't confuse the OTA signal you may be receiving through your newer box as being the feed from DTV.

I have the SIR-T360 and when it mapped my locals, it made available, DTV FEED, Analog feed from my OTA antenna and the digital OTA locals.

For example Title bar displays on each of the following:

12- Satellite
12- Analog (ota)
12-1 Digital (ota) (incuding HD and DD.)

Hope this helps

Mags

I understand - I get DD when watching 12-1.... just thought I'd get DD when watching fox 6 thru D*... but the answer before explained it... i won't get it until 6 puts up their antenna and increases signal strength or when Fox comes through nationally on D*...

I wonder which will happen 1st?