News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Is CBS signal weaker than NBC & ABC?

Started by Ralph Kramden, Friday Jun 11, 2004, 02:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

Once again today I can't receive CBS digital or WB(18) digital channels. NBC comes in great, about 90%. ABC comes in great, about 82%. I re-scanned my 811 Dish receiver, and it won't tune in CBS or WB(18). Any ideas about CBS & WB signal strength, etc? Thanks.

Scott Sippel

Yes, CBS is not broadcasting at full power.  I often had problems with them.  I get a much better signal from WISC-DT CBS out of Madison.  WB 18 Digital is also a problem.  I I never can pull that one in.  24 Digital comes in but suffers a lot of drop outs.  Sometimes I have problmes with 15-1 WMTV-DT in Madison.
other than those I get 3-1, 4-1, 12-1, 21-1, 27-1, 47-1 just fine.

I am using a Winegard PR9032 (35 element, 114") antenna for UHF and a Winegard PR-5030 (17 element, 119") antenna for VHF. I also use a winegard AP8700 preamp. The antennas are about 25' off the ground.

Rick Sass

Well add me to the list. I am using a CM 3678 in my 2nd story attic and I cannot get ch 12 digital. When ch 6 powers up, it will be a good test to see if more power will make a difference for ch 12.

Rick

Scott Sippel

Channel 12 has a very strong signal out in Dousman.  Its probably the best of them all, at least for me.  I know another person in Doumsan who was using the same antenna/pre amp combo I was using except it was in their attic (single level home).  They could only get 4 and 12 and they would suffer frequent dropouts.  We switched them over to a squareshooter outside and it made an incredible difference.  No more breakups on 4 and 12 and they also were able to pick up PBS, CBS, WB and UPN digitals.  
They dealt with the weak reception for a long time because they would not put a standard antenna on the roof.  When the square shooter came out it they agreed that it was acceptable to put up on the roof.  
Its does make a huge difference getting the antenna outside.  Its probably the only way to get a good signal out in Sullivan.

Rick Sass

Scott -

I can get all channel just fine EXCEPT CBS digitals (12-1, 12-2, 12-3). I don't know if you understood my question completely. The antenna in my attic is used for VHF, UHF and FM reception. If I use the Square Shooter, am I only able to receive UHF reception? Can I combine my existing antenna with the Square Shooter? If so how do I do this? Can the Square Shooter be mounted in the attic?

Rick

crumb snatcher

For me, I can't get NBC 4.1 (28) on my dish 811 or UPN either.  I have a square shooter and everything else is fine.  ABC is my strongest being at 90%+ all the time.  NBC is always 49%.  But the funny thing is, my rabbit ears is able to pick up all the channels if I switch to it.  go figure.

dlhoppe

(28D NBC) WTMJ:  1000kW @ 894 ft
(34D ABC) WISN:   570kw @ 878 ft
(46D CBS) WDJT:   11.7kw @ 1056 ft (?? seems low)
(33D FOX) WITI:    16.7kw @ 125 ft  (will change within days)
(08D PBS) WMVS:  25.1kw @ 1161 ft
(25D UPN) WCGV:  24.8kw @ 1116 ft
(40D PAX) WPXE:  700kw @ 1175 ft
(61D WB)  WVTV:  18.9 @ 992 ft

These are the numbers from http://www.2150.com

Scott Sippel

ah, I see the confusion.  CBS WDJT 58 is digital channel 46 which maps to 1-1, 1-2, etc.  ABC WISN 12 is digital channel 34 which maps to 12-1.  I thought you were having problems with WISN not WDJT.  WDJT CBS is 1-1 not 12-1.  

If you use your antenna for FM and analog channels 4 and 6 then the square shooter is not for you.  If you are able to get everything but CBS-58 then there probably isn't much you can do.  We just have to wait until they broadcast with more power.

You may have better luck trying to get WISC-DT out of Madison.  do you have the clearance to turn the antenna in the attic?

Does your STB have more than one Antenna input? maybe a second antenna could be an option.

crumb snatcher

Rick Sass

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Sippel
ah, I see the confusion.  CBS WDJT 58 is digital channel 46 which maps to 1-1, 1-2, etc.  ABC WISN 12 is digital channel 34 which maps to 12-1.  I thought you were having problems with WISN not WDJT.  WDJT CBS is 1-1 not 12-1.  

If you use your antenna for FM and analog channels 4 and 6 then the square shooter is not for you.  If you are able to get everything but CBS-58 then there probably isn't much you can do.  We just have to wait until they broadcast with more power.

You may have better luck trying to get WISC-DT out of Madison.  do you have the clearance to turn the antenna in the attic?

Does your STB have more than one Antenna input? maybe a second antenna could be an option.

Well Scott now you got me REALLY confused:bang:. I am having problems getting ABC WISN 12-1. I am using a SAMMY 360 HD-STB and my provider is DirectTV.  I can't rotate the antenna in my attic because of the trusses. Fortunately the trusses face east-west. If I rotate my antenna facing west, then what channels can I expect to get from Mad-Town. Would I be better off reception wise to do this? Am I able to use a FM/VHF antenna and a Square Shooter and combine them with a combiner/splitter?

Rick

dlhoppe

I'm using a Winegard VHF/UHF/FM for the Milw stations and a Radio Shack UHF-only pointed north for the Green Bay stations. I have them installed at different ends of the attic with a combiner (no ampifier) so I have only a single coax running down into the house. Works good with my Sammy SIR-T351. I'm using the VOOM receiver right now for OTA and I'm waiting for the next firmware update so I can manually scan/enter channels. Once I have that, I'll have both markets again with the VOOM box.

dlhoppe

crumb snatcher,

I read somewhere recently about 811 users who are having problems picking up what normally should be receivable OTA channels, but the signal strength stays stuck at 49% and the box is unable to lock it in. I don't know if there's a fix for it, but it might be worth looking into. Sounds like what you're describing.