News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official Fox6 New Location Technical Report Thread

Started by Tom Snyder, Wednesday Jun 09, 2004, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkane

Tuned in this morning, and not getting FOX 6-1 yet.  I have a built in tuner, so not strength meter that's useful.

There's a weird "feature" on my TV where it shows the last channel that was digital if it gets no signal.  So I still get channel 4-1 on 6.  :confused:   If I tune to 10 then back down, I get 10-1 on 6-1!  But that's normal.  Same thing happens on 1-1 (get 4-1 or 55-1 depending on which way I'm changing channel from), so I figure it's a feature of the TV, not a problem with the signals.

The only way to clear that up is to reset, and that messes up convergence, so I live with it.  Besides, after one flip through all the channels, and the "feature" comes right back.

Tom Snyder

I started a POLL for Fox 6 to see what the net effect of their transmiiter move is...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregg Lengling
.... and a low gain antenna with the main pattern to the West and South....

I guess that is another option I have to avoid being assimilated by Time Warner Cable.  Move out of Mequon to a suburb West or South of Milwaukee....  I don't really like that option though.  Too bad they ignored the North suburbs with their signal....

Starving

thor9

I am 32.83 air-miles northwest of the WITI tower, located in Rubicon (Zip Code 53078) appx. STH 60 & CTH 'P' in Dodge County. Ground elevation is 1040 AMSL.

Using a rooftop R/S VU-190 & mast-mount preamp, with a Panasonic TU-DST 52, WITI-DT is a rock-solid 74% with no visible packet loss in Rubicon.

Similar signal strength to CH 58's digital, kind of weak, but rock solid compared to 58, which requires the touch of a safecracker on the rotor control to keep locked.  

Holy Hill is 9.06 air-miles southeast of me, slightly south along the signal path to Estabrook Park, possibly causing multipath problems on 58?

Madison's Fox & CBS affliates are a lot stronger here, and no dropouts.

Riktar

thor9 you are only 2 miles away from me. Now I am going to have to roll up my sleeves and try this again.

I am just down the road off of Cty p and NN.

thor9

I'm actually north of there, pretty close to St. Johns in 'Downtown' Rubicon. Hyw 60 & P is the closest major intersection that somebody might find on a map.  I have Wisconsin & Southern trains rattle me out of bed.

Riktar

Ok I still have the same deal on this end. NUTS! Time to start thinking about raising the CM4228 on the roof. I can feel my legs getting wobbly already.

Thor I am guessing that you might be at a slightly higher elevation where you are at and that might be the difference.

I know what you mean about CBS 58 being flaky. I have pretty much given up on going there since Ch3 Digital out of madison seems to be a bit more stable. And for just getting CBS related programs I don't really care who's station I can pull in.

John L

This is very interesting.  I'm surprised to hear that some people are having problems getting WITI-DT.

I have no problems receiving WITI-DT and I have a cheap set up here. WISN-DT doesn't bother it at all.  WFLD-TV analog always there, and sometimes is WFLD-DT depending upon the weather. Also MPTV2, WMVT-DT. ch. 35 no problems.

I have an old RS outdoor antenna with a 20 db amplifier on it.

Today I aimed the rotor east and getting WOTV-DT and Fox 17's DT station.

But here in Muskego, I got WITI-DT error free with no problems.  This is very good if they are still transmitting with the lowest power compared to others.

I was a bit upset that Malcolm in the Middle was NOT in Widescreen last night, other than that everything else is ok.

-John L.

Gregg Lengling

John you are in the main antenna radiation pattern for WITI and thus get lots more signal than those of us to the sides.  In addition you are probably futher away making the signal difference between WITI and WISN less of a problem.  WITI is channel 33 and WISN is Channel 34 and WISN is running HiPower and WITI is running FleaPower...thus with the weak signal and the interference from WISN those of us to the North and South are having problems.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

John L

If they are using a directional antenna, then that would be very dumb.  But then again, maybe not if there is a analog ch. 33 in Michigan they may have to use a directional to prevent the signal from going to far east which is the lake.

-John L.

Gregg Lengling

All the Milwaukee stations are using directional antennas, they have to protect other stations on the same channel, plus it would be a waste of energy to send 45 to 50% of your signal out to a body of water that has no TV's to receive it.  I operated radio systems from the top of the USBank building years ago and we used very expensive directional antennas for the same reason....we had no customers in the middle of the lake.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Ralph Kramden

I am receiving Fox 6-1 at 70% strength, I live in Summit near Hwy. 18 & Dousman Road. Picture looks very good.

GBK

I tuned to 6-1 at 6pm and nothing.  I have zero signal.. does anyone know what happened?  Did their antenna fall off the tower... that would be classic. :-)

John L

Hmmmm.... yer right, its off the air!  I detect no signal on ch. 33 and its 7:27 pm.  It was on earlier at 5:00 pm when I checked and had Fox 6 News on.

-John L.

Joseph S