News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Channels 58 & 41 to Keep Analog signals

Started by Talos4, Friday Jun 05, 2009, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talos4

So much for 58 digital on D*.

Milwaukee's CBS affiliate and one of its sister stations will continue broadcasting in analog after the June 12 nationwide switch to digital television.
Chicago-based Weigel Broadcasting announced Friday the programming of CBS affiliate WDJT-TV (Channel 58) will air in analog on Channel 63. WMLW (Channel 41) will remain available to over the air on analog TV sets.

The CBS affiliate will be available on digital channel 58.1. WMLW's programming will be available in a digital format on digital channel 58.2.

Weigel executives said maintaining analog broadcasts of the stations will provide a "lifeline" to viewers who haven't prepared for the digital transition. After the transition, viewers will receive digital TV signals only via a digital converter box or subscriptions to cable or satellite television services.

"Unfortunately, not all homes in our viewing area are prepared, in full or in part, for the digital transition," said Jim Hall, general manager of Weigel's Milwaukee stations. "Those homes still need to be able to receive vital -news information."

The Business Journal 6/5/2009

WITI6fan

Quote from: Talos4;52170"Unfortunately, not all homes in our viewing area are prepared, in full or in part, for the digital transition," said Jim Hall, general manager of Weigel's Milwaukee stations. "Those homes still need to be able to receive vital -news information."

Allow me to make generalizations here...

One would think that at least some of those who are not prepared for the transition would be those that don't speak or understand English.

So, wouldn't dropping Telemundo for a WDJT simulcast prevent these people from receiving vital news and information?

Besides, WMLW's signal is stronger than WYTU's signal. Wouldn't it make more sense to temporarily suspend some of WMLW's programming for any breaking news or weather than it is to suspend all programming on a specialty network not otherwise available in this market?

:huh?:

jjallou

I don't think they can run analog 63 forever since the spectrum above channel 51 has already been auctioned off and other uses are planned for it. At best they can keep a "nightlight" signal running for 30 days. Channel 41 isn't going away anytime soon however.

WITI6fan

Quote from: jjallou;52174I don't think they can run analog 63 forever since the spectrum above channel 51 has already been auctioned off and other uses are planned for it. At best they can keep a "nightlight" signal running for 30 days. Channel 41 isn't going away anytime soon however.

They (WYTU) have a construction permit to move to analog 49.

tvboy

Quote from: WITI6fan;52175They (WYTU) have a construction permit to move to analog 49.

WYTU already broadcasts on 49-4 on the digital side.

ddeerrff

??  Sounds like the 'deadline' was never really a deadline after all.  After all these months of telling everyone that after the date analog TV goes away, some stations will still be allowed to broadcast analog?  I was under the impression that it was a *requirement* that all broadcasting in analog cease on June 12th.  Apparently not.

Jimboy

Quote from: ddeerrff;52182??  Sounds like the 'deadline' was never really a deadline after all.  After all these months of telling everyone that after the date analog TV goes away, some stations will still be allowed to broadcast analog?  I was under the impression that it was a *requirement* that all broadcasting in analog cease on June 12th.  Apparently not.

All "Full Power" analog stations are required to pull the plug on June 12th. The transition doesn't affect low power analog stations....yet.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jimboy;52183All "Full Power" analog stations are required to pull the plug on June 12th. The transition doesn't affect low power analog stations....yet.

Exactly,

And because of this channels 58 & 41 can move to a low-power UHF station.  The good news is that if analog 58 (CBS) movies to OTA 41, cable/dish might be able to replace their channel 41-WMLW (Channel 7 on TWC-Milwaukee) with perhaps something like ME-TV TOO?  Engineers looking at this board, you may want to consider this option.  The growth of ME-TV in its markets has been exponential.  And I would submit to Mr. Hall, who is in charge of managing these stations, that ME-TOO should be launched on cable/dish and digital TV systems,

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

ddeerrff

Quote from: Jimboy;52183All "Full Power" analog stations are required to pull the plug on June 12th. The transition doesn't affect low power analog stations....yet.

Ah, OK. Thanks for setting me straight.

John L

Its a cop out for channel 58 to remain on air in analog. However the channel change from 5 MegaWatt ERP ch. 58 to low power ch. 63 who's covereage is low power and most people in out lying areas can't receive ch. 63 well.

-John L.

John L

Quote from: jjallou;52174I don't think they can run analog 63 forever since the spectrum above channel 51 has already been auctioned off and other uses are planned for it. At best they can keep a "nightlight" signal running for 30 days. Channel 41 isn't going away anytime soon however.

I guess there are plans to move LPTV WMLW to channel 24 and in analog.

-John L.