News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Changes Coming..

Started by techguy1975, Thursday Apr 13, 2017, 07:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techguy1975

Looks like there will be some changes coming to the Milwaukee TV dial.  4 stations will be leaving the air, surrendering their license as part of the FCC spectrum repack.  Those leaving the air will be

• WMVT
  • WCGV
  • WMLW
  • WVCY

Read more about it here: http://www.northpine.com/, or here:http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0413/DA-17-314A2.pdf

duncantuna

Found this interesting from the link above ..

Not surprisingly, Wisconsin will see a lot of channel changes due to its proximity to Chicago -- all but one station in Milwaukee will change channels.

I'd almost hope they did that all at once .. massive re-scanning ad campaign.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: duncantuna on Friday Apr 14, 2017, 10:41:12 AM
all but one station in Milwaukee will change channels.[/i]

Context is important; based on the FCC enumeration, I read it as ... all but one of the four listed will change channels.  Meaning, other stations aren't changing channel frequencies, although they could certainly change virtual channel numbers.  Let me know if I'm missing something, though.

Wasn't there some discussion about VHF not handling ATSC as well as UHF?  I thought that was why they changed subchannel assignments a few years back on 10 & 36. 

We've backtracked a long way since I walked into Flanner's years ago and saw Channel 10 (8 VHF) in its full bitrate glory, before NTSC was shut off.   This site should probably be called "MilwaukeeATSC.com" ;)

I'm glad that ghosting and snow are gone, but the TV biz has changed so much since ATSC was rolled out, I'll be surprised if more than a handful can sustain for another decade. 

Are they going to pocket most of this cash and let the stations die a slow death?   

I'm thinking a lot of past members will look at the money MPTV is getting and say, "Looks like they won't be needing my donations any more!" 

LoadStar

Quote from: ArgMeMatey on Saturday Apr 15, 2017, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: duncantuna on Friday Apr 14, 2017, 10:41:12 AM
all but one station in Milwaukee will change channels.[/i]

Context is important; based on the FCC enumeration, I read it as ... all but one of the four listed will change channels.  Meaning, other stations aren't changing channel frequencies, although they could certainly change virtual channel numbers.  Let me know if I'm missing something, though.
Nope, it literally means all but one Milwaukee channel will change channels. Here's a URL that lists the new channel assignments:
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=US&city=&state=&mktid=41&owner=&sort=

Although, according to that list, it's actually 2 channels, if you include WIWN in the Milwaukee market. They remain on 5 and WMVS remains on 8. Everyone else moves to a new channel assignment.

duncantuna

And .. am I reading the article correctly .. like, channel 36 got $85 MILLION dollars to give up their channel?

They can cancel the PBS Auction for the next 85 years!

techguy1975

Plus the potential amount they could make by selling their transmitter, antenna, etc..  However, I'd guess they would probably keep all of that and use it as a backup

dirtsy

Sigh...I realize these things can take years (thinking of the analog/digital transition the the late '00s)...I am waiting breathlessly for WMLW to get repackaged to a different frequency.  For some reason they are the only channel I get an unstable/useless OTA signal most of the year (across the street neighbor's Oaks and Maples block line of sight from my "illegal" attic antenna I installed in the common area attic above my unit...HOA hasn't busted me on it yet :) ). Hopefully changes come sooner than later with this!

dirtsy

So now that I am in the time of year that I can get WMLW via my antenna (see post above).

This morning while doing some chores around the house, with a TiVo-ed show on in the background, there was an announcement from WMLW during one of the commercial breaks that they will be moving to their new OTA frequency on January 8 at 5am.  Of course, rescan will be required. FYI. 

John L

Quote from: techguy1975 on Thursday Apr 13, 2017, 07:57:52 PM
Looks like there will be some changes coming to the Milwaukee TV dial.  4 stations will be leaving the air, surrendering their license as part of the FCC spectrum repack.  Those leaving the air will be

• WMVT
  • WCGV
  • WMLW
  • WVCY

Read more about it here: http://www.northpine.com/, or here:http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0413/DA-17-314A2.pdf

WMVT 36-1 and some of it's sub-channels will clip on WMVS ch. 8 transmitter and transmit 36-1 alongside 10-1, 10-2, etc..

WMLW will share it's programming over WDJT's transmitter.  I think they do now as one of the 58 sub-channels, but maybe they will change the 58 sub-channel for that with 41-1. After the changes something different here. It is not what I posted here.

WVCY, TV 30 will tag along on WITI's transmitter currently on 33, thus 6-1, 6-2, 30-1.  WITI will be changing it's RF transmitter from 33 to 31 in the summer.  Sorry, the RF change will take place in Fall of 2019.

WCGV will tag along on ch. 18's transmitter as 18-1, 18-2, 24-1, 24-2, 24-3 all over ch. 18, but in the summer the rf will be changed to 27. Sorry this RF change will take place in Fall 2019!

So this could mean that if you are watching TV using an antenna, you will be require to rescan your TV daily or once a week through out the summer. Starting January 8 in order to get 36 and 30 and 24 since some will be shutting off their transmitters on January 8th.

-John L.

dirtsy

If this means anything or not(?)...TiVo/Rovi guide data added 41-4 WMLW-HD (all program data listed is "To be announced")...when tuning to 41-4, it is a simulcast of 49-1 WMLW-LD (as TiVo has named).

I can only imagine the headaches this is going to be getting TiVo/Rovi to get the listing corrected properly come Monday :(

Tivoman44

I ran a channel rescan om my tivo series 3 HD.  Basically after the fact i had two channel 24.1, 24.2 etc.  Guide said something like aquiring info.  I just have to remove my old 24.1 and so on.

SRW1000

After rescanning yesterday, my TiVo guide still doesn't have any info for 24's or 36's programming, just "To be announced."  Not sure who's supposed to be announcing it or when.  The guide for 10-2 is also wrong.

And having all of the PBS stations compressed has really hit picture quality.  Create is now in bit-starved SD instead of bit-starved HD, and looks really, really soft. 

It both disapointing and hard to believe that we now have bg screen 4K TVs that are cheaper than their HD counterparts from a decade ago, but in contrast the quality of our over-the-air content has gotten progressively worse during that time.

Scott

dirtsy

My apologies for apparently hijacking this thread for TiVo guide updates/issues :/ ...on my Bolt, I was getting nothing but "To be announced" in the guide for the "new" 24s, 36s, 49s after rescanning on Monday and selecting the new channels.  This afternoon, for the fun of it, I did a "Clear Program Information & ToDo List", then re-ran Guided Setup.  I now have program info for the "new" 24's, and only one option for the 24's in the channel list.  The new 36s and 49s are still TBA, and have the old along side the new channels in the list.

SRW1000

Looks like the TiVo guide has finally been updated with the new changes.

Tivoman44

Same with my Tivo (Series 3 HD).  Except I have two Ch 24-1's and two Ch 24-2's...oh well not that big of a deal.