News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Non-widescreen HD

Started by sarusk, Sunday Feb 24, 2002, 08:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarusk

I've noticed several programs, (Janet Jackson, Sex in the City) are not displayed in widescreen. What's the deal? When I bought my TV the book says not to view it that way as opposed to a streched mode as the bars would 'burn in'. Is this true, what about movies at 2.35:1 bars on there too, need I worry about burn in? Long story short my real question is, how much HD should I expect in non-widescreen format?

RickNeff

The deal is that these are not HD programs, even though it's on HBO HD.  You'll note that HBO HD mirrors "regular" HBO in its programming.

As far as burn-in, yes, it can happen, but largely if you watch a lot of TV in one particular mode without changing it.  Most manufacturers give a guideling of watching about 15% in non-widescreen mode.  However, some manufacturers also shift the bars to help prevent burn in as well.

Personally, I think burn in from the bars is a lot less likely than burn in from logos if watching the same channel constantly.  But, it still isn't quite the major issue of you have some variety on the programming sources.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Pat

You'll want to avoid the "torch mode" that manufacturers often ship the sets in.  This is when the Contrast is set to the maximum.  It increasing the liklihood of burn-in dramatically.  Turn it down to around half way or even lower.

The proper adjustment of sets is a bit of a science, but most (ALL?) sets are misadjusted from the factory in order to look good under flourescent lights at the store, not to maximize CRT life.  In fact, a cynic (who, me?) might suppose they WANT to reduce CRT life.

mcneguy

This is another good reason to run screaming with fear if you are ever offered a floor model RPTV....

tenth_t2

Pick up one of the few calibration DVD's out there.  Avia makes one with Sound and Vision that you can pick up locally for about $20.  For those wanting to play more, Video Essentials is a great help.  Lastly, can't comment on it as it's on order, but there's another Avia at about $50 retail.  I'm told it has more test/calibration patterns than VE.  I'll let you all know how I think they compare.  I have VE and found it to be great to have, in fact several I work with have borrowed it for their theaters.

Just watch the volume, you'll be fine.  One outlet that didn't have it mentioned having received many speakers after customers used such a disk, which I found amusing, then walked out.

Greg O.

sarusk

I understand that they are working on a new VE disc which will address progressive-scan and have more audio. Doesn't look like it will be out anytime soon thogh.
 http://www.videoessentials.com/dve.htm

RickNeff

I'd be interested in our comparison between the various disks.  I use the Avia Guide to Home Theatre disk for my calibration.  Even did the sound calibration with the Radio Shack sound level meter and it make quite the difference!

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!