News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Direct TV, Toshiba Box & Local HD. Please help!

Started by asr2k, Monday Apr 01, 2002, 02:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asr2k

I have a Sony HD ready and a Direct TV Toshiba HD box.  Why can't I get my locals in HD?  Do I need to set up an extra antenna (other than my satelitte)?  If I do, will rabbit ears work?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom Snyder

I'm not familiar with the Toshiba box, but if it has an antenna "in," you should be able to plug in a set of rabbit ears like I did and get 4 and 10 no problem... In New Berlin, 58 may be a challenge as they're running at real low power for now.

4 is on channel 26
10 is on 8
and 58 is on 46
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

asr2k

I get 4-1 (WTMJ on Direct TV) but the audio and video cut out every so often.  Any idea why?  CBS (or 58-1) don't come in at all.  Could that be because I am to far from the antenna.  Any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tom Snyder

58 is hard to get.. when at full power, they'll be a million watts.. right now they're running on their exciter only and no real transmitter power.. I think about 11kw... I have a hard time getting a consistant signal, have to tweak and adjust and tweak some more to lock on the signal, and it pops and locks pixelates even after I do...

But you should be able to get a good lock on 4.

Get your antenna up as high as you can, and spread them out to make them as close to horizontal (parallel to the floor).
Do you get anything on 8 (10-1)?

How far West and South are you?

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 04-01-2002).]
Tom Snyder

asr2k

What kind of antenna do you use?  I want anice indoor antenna that will help me get a solid HD signal.  I don't get any other HD signal other than NBC.  Any other tips?

Jeffbyk

I recently installed a Radio Shack double bowtie antenna that I modified by removing the 300 ohm twin lead and replacing it with a 300 to 75 ohm converter.  Some have had success with this antenna, especially with this modification, although some have not had great results.  But I figured for about a $20 investment, I would try it hoping I could get the final four this weekend with a quick fix.  

I have it hanging in a window that faces North with about 100 feet of RG6 cable to connect it to my Hughes receiver (which I believe is the same as the Toshiba) and get a solid signal strength of 93 for CBS!  I watched the final four and tonight's game and experienced only 2 audio dropouts for about a total of 15 seconds through all 3 games.  Other than that, I do not believe I had any reception problems.

I live about 25-30 miles south of the transmission towers, but have nothing but flat farm field north of me for a few miles, so I may have the ideal situation.  But, it might be worth a try in your situation too, since it was a significant improvement over the rabbit ears that I tried initially.

I also get a signal strength of 100 for channel 4-1.

Good Luck!
Jeff

asr2k

Jeff-

Thanks for the tip.  The thing you did with the antenna, is that complicated?  Do you have a model number on the antenna?  

Jeffbyk

Not complicated at all.  You just drill out the 2 rivets that connect the twin lead to the antenna.  If you have a soldering iron, you can solder the 300-75 ohm converter to the same spots on the antenna.  If you don't you can use a nut and bolt to fasten the spades of the converter to the antenna.  Just make sure either way you have a good connection.  Although I didn't try it with the original twin-lead, I have heard the modification results in a dramatic improvement.

The model number for the antenna is Cat. No. 15-623A.  I too did not see it in the Radio Shack store.  But when I asked the guy behind the counter he said he had two in back - so it wouldn't hurt to call a couple of stores if you are in a hurry to see if they have one.

Tom Snyder

Mine is just an amplified RCA rabbit ear unit that I bought from Target for about $20. I'm about 25-30 miles out from the towers
Tom Snyder

GS kid

Just for your information.... Radio Shack has an amplified indoor HDTV antenna. It has 2 helix resonators for the best HD reception as well as a big rabbit ear antenna. It has a switch to choose which antenna to use as well as a switch to turn on/off the 10db gain. I am very happy with it. It is $80 though. I'm near 1st and Mitchell Street and don't really have any problems. You on the other hand might need something like an outdoor antenna out there in New Berlin. I guess you might try the $20 bow-tie first before forking out $80 for the HD antenna or more on an outdoor setup.
----- GS kid

MesaV

I have also used that antenna (double helix).  I was able to receive strong signals from NBC and PBS.  I bought it just to try it out, I really didn't want an indoor antenna.  CBS was not up and running at the time.