News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8000HD DVR Users Thread

Started by gb4fan92, Wednesday Aug 11, 2004, 03:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

Oh man... so I was going to swap my 8000HD for a new one, but they happened to be out, so I took a standard non-DVR HD box. I'm using a DVI connector, and the picture quality is already noticeably better. (Seriously much better.) I'm tempted to just keep this one until they make the new DVR's available.

gb4fan92

I taped a movie back in mid-December "Pulp Fiction" and I finally got around to watching it this afternoon. However when I start the movie the picture is blank and nothing happens. I try fast fowarding - nothing. It shows that there is 2:20 minutes recorded but I get nothing. I ending up watching another movie that I recorded around the same time. It worked fine. Has anyone run into this before?

Mark Strube

It looks like A LOT of areas are starting to see the 8300HD boxes available... I can only assume Milwaukee (being TWC's 4th largest area) will start to see them sometime this or next month. Keep your eyes open! (And keep checking with customer service to see when they're getting them in!)

JOHN GRY

I spoke with customer service yesterday and inquired about availiabity of the 8300, she spoke with someone in the tech support dept. and they told her the closest that the 8300's were released was in Minneapolis. She also added that they we not sure if our area would even get  the 8300's.

John
SONY KDS 60A2020
HITACHI 57UWX20B
SONY STR-DE1075 6.1
JBL FRONTS, POLK REARS, 2 JBL CENTERS, 2 ACTIVE 10" JBL SUBS,
D* HD DVR HR21,  (2) D* HD H21, AM21 OTA

Mark Strube

Quote from: JOHN GRYShe also added that they we not sure if our area would even get  the 8300's.

It's not a question of if, it's a question of when... I dunno what she's smoking.  :drink:

LuckySe7ens

Quote from: zoothornI've read the last 10 pages of this thread and haven't seen any mention of my problem. Anyone else experience this and how did you resolve it?

I've just had my third occurance of the SA8000 getting totally tangled up in it's shorts. The only way out is to boot it and when it comes back, all the shows on the hard drive are gone.

First two times it showed up when I hit the "List". I message popped up that there may be a problem with the hard drive and offerring me the chance to A Retry or B Restart.

Retrying did nothing, restart did nothing. Calls to the service center resulted in me pulling the plug on it and when they got it back up the shows were all gone.

After the second time the rep on the phone told me to take the box back for a swap. I brought back a new box two weeks ago and it just happened tonight.

No one else running in to something like this? I thought the first box was just bad but if it's going to happen on this one too...

Exact same problem.... Happened on one box, and 2 weeks later, on another.  Unplugging it for 5 minutes temporarily  fixes it, but that's simply an unacceptable solution.  I'm going to pick up my 3rd box tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark Strube

I would simply call & check & wait for when you can get one of the new 8300HD boxes... you'll just keep going thru the 8000HD's and running back and forth from the TWC office.

JOHN GRY

Just got the 8300 today, I had to go to the Kenosha TWC (Racine, didn't have them yet). Hopefully no more going crazy with the all the drops. Also, maybe just me but the HI Def channels seem better!

John
SONY KDS 60A2020
HITACHI 57UWX20B
SONY STR-DE1075 6.1
JBL FRONTS, POLK REARS, 2 JBL CENTERS, 2 ACTIVE 10" JBL SUBS,
D* HD DVR HR21,  (2) D* HD H21, AM21 OTA

yaderhey

I think I know the answer to this, but will I lose all the shows I've recorded when I switch to the new box?  Is there any way to transfer them?

Is it worth making a switch?  My biggest beef with the 8000 is how jumpy the picture can get in HD.  Is that fixed?  Will my $100 DVI cable work?

Engineer

Quote from: LuckySe7ensExact same problem.... Happened on one box, and 2 weeks later, on another.  Unplugging it for 5 minutes temporarily  fixes it, but that's simply an unacceptable solution.  I'm going to pick up my 3rd box tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

I had this problem as well.  I am fairly certain it was the hard drive going bad as it did not have any problems watching "live" programs.  I replaced my box and haven't had a problem since.

Don't tell TW, but I think I killed the hard drive but not having space around the box.  I put it in a cabinet which was just a little bit larger than the box.  I have now put the new one in location which has a couple of inches of space between it and the shelf above.  As I said I haven't had a problem since I did this.

So make sure your box has plenty of ventilation.

msofan

I posted this on the  "Technical Issues Thread" but realize it I should have posted it here. I would like to move to the SA8300HD but I need a good way to save the programs on the SA8000HD.

I've had my SA8000HD for a while and I've noticed that shows that were a while back no longer show up under the "LIST." I used the diagnostics to show the remaining room in the hard drive and it said there was plenty of room! Are shows automatically deleted after a certain length of time? Is there any way to retrieve the shows that were "automatically deleted.?" I now indicate "Save until Manually Deleted." Was not aware of that until recently. BTW - what is the best way to save SD to a PC. Are the PCI cards from Hauppague reliable? What about the USB2 options? I don't really need the built-in TV, just a way to get good, clean video and audio output so I can archive shows that I record on the DVR.

mm007d

I actually live in New York and have time warner and have the same problem with my digital audio output which i never had with the 3100HD (I also had the problem with the 3250HD).  for me the static is on all channels not just the sub.  i had a "foreman" call where a more senior technician came out and looked at it and he could not figure it out.  did you ever resolve this?

Quote from: DrummerboyI am getting a constant static sound coming out of my sub when using the 8000HD.  I am currently using the coax digital to my receiver.  The static sound is always at the same volume regardless of of what the master volume is set on my receiver.  It may be possible that the static is coming out of all the channels but is most noticable from the sub.  The static will occasionally stop while changing channels.
Anyone else getting this?
I am very sure that this did not occur with the 3100HD I used to have.
I have thought about trying the optical output but don't have the ambition to switch cables around.:rolleyes: