News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best way to hook up the following equipment

Started by Ralph Kramden, Saturday Mar 23, 2013, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

I should remember this old school stuff, but I don't.

1) TV - composite and HDMI only

2) VCR - We want to be able to watch a show and record another channel at the same time. Do I need to use a splitter to do this? Or can I run antenna into "antenna in" on VCR, and then "antenna out" to TV? What do you guys recommend? I'd rather not use a splitter if I don't have to. Thanks.

PONIES

Ralph Kramden

Jimboy

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;59251I should remember this old school stuff, but I don't.

1) TV - composite and HDMI only

2) VCR - We want to be able to watch a show and record another channel at the same time. Do I need to use a splitter to do this? Or can I run antenna into "antenna in" on VCR, and then "antenna out" to TV? What do you guys recommend? I'd rather not use a splitter if I don't have to. Thanks.

OTA only?
Cable?
Satellite?

If OTA you will need a converter box for the VCR since it probably doesn't have a digital tuner in it. Split the antenna feed to the TV and the converter box. Connect the converter box to the VCR with composite video/audio cables. Connect the VCR to the TV with composite video/audio cables. Watch whatever you want on the TV and set the desired channel on the converter box for recording the "Line Input" on the VCR.

If Cable - split the cable RF line to the TV (or set top box) and VCR. Have the VCR scan for analog cable channels. You will still be able to watch TV as normal. You will be able to record analog cable only (unless you have a separate digital cable box for the VCR).  Connect the VCR to the TV via composite video/audio cables.

If Satellite - Since you "need" a box, unless you have two you're pretty much stuck recording the same channel as the one your watching.

Note.......
Analog cable will eventually be going away.
There are several OTA DVR's available that can replace the VCR. (I use a PC with a tuner card and Snapstream software).
I'm sure someone else will chime in with other possibilities that may or may not increase the cost.

My Mother still does this (OTA with VCR) and doesn't care about the quality. It's the content that's important.

Ralph Kramden

Thanks. I forgot about the damn converter box. NO cable or satellite, OTA only. If we just want to watch one channel at a time, I don't need to split the antenna signal, do I?

Will

That depends whether your converter box passes through the antenna signal when powered off.  IIRC the versions I had do not pass the signal through.  Regardless, I would suggest that using a splitter is your best option, provided you have decent reception.  One splitter should not cause an issue with any kind of decent signal.

AA9VI

How about TV<-- VCR<--- converter box via composite
Then if the converter box has S-video or HDMI plug that also directly into the TV via  a second input.

This allows you to record converter box programs and allows for optimal resolution when not using the VCR.