News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Packers in Hi Def?

Started by Tom Snyder, Thursday Feb 21, 2002, 11:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

In another thread the topic of NFL football this Fall came up.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I wouldn't hold my breath. At the very outside best, we'll get one AFC game a week on CBS, and a 50/50 chance of MNF.

Fox? Their widescreen-only psuedo hi def for the Super Bowl is a sign of things to come, I'm afraid. Of course because they shot it with their regular cameras, that means there's probably a greater chance of ALL the FOX games being shown this way. I suppose it's better than crappy, icky, ugly analog.

Of course, all this means nothing until Milwaukee stations get on the digital bandwagon.

So will we see our beloved Packers in Hi Def this fall?

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 02-22-2002).]
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

RickNeff

Ah...to dream!

Unfortunately, I suspect you're right.  Fox has a long way to go in the way of HDTV.  It's really rather shocking considering how much the NFL prides its films division.  I'd think the NFL itself would want to make a push for higher quality -- But maybe that would keep too many people out of the stadiums.

Since I was transplanted into the WI area, I'm afraid I'm not a Packer fan, but my team also is a NFC team and also carried (sometimes) on Fox.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Matt Heebner

As Tom said though...the key to any of this is getting Milwaukee up to speed with digital programming.

If I could build the towers myself to get HD on the air...trust me I would!

Matt

------------------
My wife looked at the new STB sitting on the rack and she asked me,"This is never going to end, is it?"

mcneguy

Well Richard, as long as you're not a Bears fan, welcome.  I had to live for a year with those insufferable Cowboys fans in Dallas so I know how you feel.

Matt Heebner

Or a damn Viqueens fan!

Matt

------------------
My wife looked at the new STB sitting on the rack and she asked me,"This is never going to end, is it?"

RickNeff

No, I'm not a Bears fan (or any team in the Central Division.)  Rather, I'm a Redskins fan since I moved here from VA.  However, my wife and her family are Lions fans, but she's a good person anyway.   (She even wanted a big screen TV in the living room!)

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Tom Snyder

============================================
If I could build the towers myself to get HD on the air...trust me I would!
============================================

Here's the irony... the tower has been built for over 2 years!
 http://www.jsonline.com/bym/News/feb99/0208comb.asp

I believe that channel 10 will be the only ones who will actually end up there...

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 02-22-2002).]
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

tenth_t2

And that's the sad part Tom.  As that thread points out, this is a new concept for competing stations-- sharing a tower.  I'll admit, I'm nieve to most of the issues, but it would almost server the public better if there was one central point to aim for-- especially those viewers on the fringe areas.  This assumes that broadcast interference is minimized from the tower itself, and competing stations antennas.

I wonder if the FCC mandated it's use, and fairly (yeah, figure that one out) admininstered the costs passed to the stations, if that's what it's going to take.

"Sure seems like an awful waste of space..."

Greg O.

Kevin Arnold

And don't forget channel 12 has made a big deal about Milwaukee forbidding their tower extension plans. Claim that this issue is holding up their digital plans. Or maybe its just convenient.

------------------
Kevin Arnold
38" RCA widescreen w/a spinnable antenna
Kevin Arnold