News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official SA 8000HD DVR Users Thread

Started by gb4fan92, Wednesday Aug 11, 2004, 03:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummerboy

After talking to a fellow coworker who also picked his up yesterday, I found out they have released at least two versions of the 8000HD.  My box does NOT have the 1394 ports, but his box did!  (although it sounds like the ports aren't enabled).  I wonder if they also release both 80 and 160 gig models, too.
I also noticed while watching NBC last night (Law & Order and Jay Leno) that the signal would "hickup" once in a while which never happened with the old box.  It would pause for a second and then resume.  Is this a signal quality issue (too many splitters between drop and equip)?  I do have one of those bidirection amplifiers because low return db for Road Runner.  Has anyone else seen this "hickup" issue?
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
As an aside, that new $6.95 DVR charge is absolutely ridiculous. $6.95 for nothing. I guess now we know how they plan to make their reported $1200 cost per box back... :confused:
As Tivo is $1,000 up front and $12.95 per month, I'm pretty happy with the $6.95.

Gregg Lengling

The best work around that one is to get a new 16:9 ratio set......:D
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Joel S

QuoteOriginally posted by Drummerboy

I also noticed while watching NBC last night (Law & Order and Jay Leno) that the signal would "hickup" once in a while which never happened with the old box.  It would pause for a second and then resume.  Is this a signal quality issue (too many splitters between drop and equip)?  I do have one of those bidirection amplifiers because low return db for Road Runner.  Has anyone else seen this "hickup" issue?

I noticed this as well at times.  Did seem kind of strange and something the SD DVR never did.  My guess is that is has nothing to do with signal quality, but I could be wrong.

I also had an issue with the aspect ratio changing on me.  I would be watching an HD channel and then flip to an SD channel only to have the SD channel be in the 4X3 mode with grey sides.  If i flipped back to a digital channel (311...) it would then fill the screen properly.  Anybody have this problem??  It only did this a couple of times.   Othereise the screen would be filled (per my settings).

I also really wish they would activate the SD ports.  What is the point of having them inactive:confused:

borghe

All DirecTivos (including the HD unit) have no monthly charge with a Total Choice Platinum subscription, or a $5 monthly charge which covers all units if you carry a lower subscription. Not to mention having access to the Tivo database including comprehensive cast lists (including first and second teir guest stars), directors, and show information such as unique FSIDs, original air dates, and extensive genre catalogging, all of which is used in their search and record functions.

Last time I checked all TWC gave you for $7/month DVR fee was the same guide data that you get for free with a digital box. I didn't mean to turn this into a Tivo vs. non-Tivo debate.. I just truly wondered what justified the $2/month price increase for the HD DVR, just like I wondered what justified the $5/month DVR charge in the other thread. Sounds opportunistic at best.

Anyway, enough of that.

As for the choppy audio, it is more than likely hardware related being that non-DVR users aren't complaining about it. It is also likely related to the digital output being that the recorded data should be bit for bit perfect with the original airing.

With Tivos originally (SD versions) there were compatibility problems with the optical outputs and certain receivers. It would probably be helpful for those of you having problems to mention what kind of receivers you are having these breakups with.

as for the stuttering of the program, I doubt it is a signal issue. It sounds more like a software issue. If it were a signal issue it would be happening on all HD boxes.

gparris

Last night I picked up 2 HD DVRs from the kiosk as records showed I have 2 HD and 2 DVRs (for each set).
While the salesperson was very pleasant and helpful, I asked if the optical and digital outputs were both working and the salesperson did not understand what I was talking about, despite my attempts to educate.
Anyway, I come home, go to my easiest-access HT setup and check the sound and picture of the HD box and SD box to make sure all is working properly and it is.
My mistake was disconnecting everything and just installing the single HD DVR box (my reasoning that it would replace the two boxes). :(
I hooked everything up as was before, checking component-video cables, coax  from the wall, exactly as the other two boxes had just been done minutes before and I discovered the following:
1) NO COLOR from the box - just black and white.
2) Herringbone lines on every channel
3) My HD Pkg was cut out

Calling service made me wait half an hour for assistance after I was told their system would reboot my box - all it did was disconnect my service, so I sat there, on  hold, without anything.
Heck, the Black and White picture could have been on at least as a screen saver.:rolleyes:

When an assistant finally came on to help me, they asked me to try the other box I picked up and still no color and bad signal.
Now, I rechecked everything and they tried to "balance" the system, sometimes knocking out my other boxes in the house, to no avail. Once I got my HD package back, the no-color and interference was still there on the HD DVR box display.

Thankfully, after nothing worked, I offered to disconnect my HD DVR box, rehook the lines up to both boxes I just had working TWO HOURS before (yeah, it took that long) and everything worked as it should be as if nothing happened. :D

TWC made every attempt to assist me and I am thankful for that.
However, they were experiencing many problems with the boxes according to my assistant.
Next week they will send someone out to check my entire cable system, although a short time ago they supposedly fixed it with an amplifier, balanced it and everything was fine.
Honest opinion? I think the boxes in Kenosha were NOT ready for release and my home cabling is just fine, otherwise my 4 boxes plus internet would have failed a long time ago or not be fully functional after the HD DVR nightmare.;)

SO the "jury" is out on this one. DO I return the boxes and wait for TWC to fix the Kenosha mess OR wait for the TWC installer to attempt a "FIX" in my cabling, messing up BOTH my HT areas only to find the boxes are not working, here, in Kenosha and someone just isn't communicating? :(

I will keep you all posted...Thanks!:wave:

borghe

were the boxes hooked up with existing cables? were the cables good?

You get a black and white picture if a component cable has the Y cable connected but not the PrPb cables. It sounds like somthing was wrong with the connectors or cables. Is there only YPrPb on the box or are there also RGBHV/VGA connectors on it? Herringbone also sounds like there were some syncing issues between the three separate cables.

Worst case scenario is you got some bad boxes. Though I would double and triple check the connections first. Also it sounds dumb and I am not condescending you but make sure the TV is turned off while connecting the component cables.

If this is across DVI, try hooking up the component cables instead.

summerfun

NEW FEATURE

Have you noticed that the HBO and Showtime On-Demand menus now have a "recently viewed" area? This is not on the regular HD box, only on our new SA 8000HD DVR boxes.

I called and no one at TWC knew anything about this.

There was someone on another board asking if there was a way to turn this off. Maybe in the service menu. As TWC did not even know this was there, they were no help with this question.

Anybody here know anything about this?

The guy on the other board is concerned that his children will see what "adult" movies mommy and daddy watch at night.:eek: :eek: :eek:

"Spank me, Spank me, Big Boy Part II" Could be embarrassing. :D

louisd13

No SD Outpust Sucks!!  Again I suppose they want you to have 2 boxes as opposed to 1.  Anywho, I did read somewhere else (Can't remember where)  that the SD outputs didn't work at first, but were activated later on via a firmware update.  Anybody else read about this.  Just trying to cling on to the hope that I may be able to consolidate to 1 box in the near future!

Drummerboy

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel S
I would be watching an HD channel and then flip to an SD channel only to have the SD channel be in the 4X3 mode with grey sides.  If i flipped back to a digital channel (311...) it would then fill the screen properly.  Anybody have this problem??
Yes I saw this too.  It doesn't always seem to detect whether the signal is HD or SD properly so once in stretched my HD picture and more often it would put up the grey bars on the SD when switching from channel 4 to 504 and back.
QuoteI also really wish they would activate the SD ports.  What is the point of having them inactive:confused:
I know what you mean.  I had my remote macros to switch from one input to another allowing me to control the SD and HD switching.  Also the Pannys had the nice Justified setting which I wish I could take advantage of.
I guess 8 months isn't long enough for beta testing.:)

BTW, I am not ignorant!:)  (in response to borghe's reponse to my post in the previous 8000 thread)  I had a follow up but the last 800 thread was closed before I could.
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

borghe

did not mean or intend to call you ignorant.. sorry if you took it that way. :( just that the statement was ignorant (notice the difference).

Anyway, the box is out so regardless of MS' questionable tactics the wait is finally over for you guys. :)

gparris

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
were the boxes hooked up with existing cables? were the cables good?

You get a black and white picture if a component cable has the Y cable connected but not the PrPb cables. It sounds like somthing was wrong with the connectors or cables. Is there only YPrPb on the box or are there also RGBHV/VGA connectors on it? Herringbone also sounds like there were some syncing issues between the three separate cables.

Worst case scenario is you got some bad boxes. Though I would double and triple check the connections first. Also it sounds dumb and I am not condescending you but make sure the TV is turned off while connecting the component cables.

If this is across DVI, try hooking up the component cables instead.

The cables were new ones from TWC (cable wall connection cable to box), these were checked. As I indicated before, I put my HD box and SD DVR box back the way it was and everything was great as before.  
I use Monster 3 high end products for all connections (I know its overkill, but better than what they give you free), so all component video cables were checked and rechecked.
The HD box worked fine with the component video cables once I re-installed everything back!
I know about component video cabling, my prog scan DVD player worked fine, too (with color). My set does not have DVI ports.

It is my bad luck that BOTH HD DVR BOXES  were bad and I have asked for replacements with the repair man comes to "fix things".

If he comes to the house with SD DVRs, lets say, I won't be happy.:bang:

I am happy for the rest of you with your HD DVRs, at least they seem to work for you.

If I cannot get this issue resolved, I may end up keeping things the way they are with 4 boxes until the whole HD DVR mess is cleaned up. I think two bad boxes is a bad omen.

Maybe they should check the boxes out before they hand them out, first (just an idea).:rolleyes:

mrmike

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
As Tivo is $1,000 up front and $12.95 per month, I'm pretty happy with the $6.95.

Actually, it's $800 (with the $200 credit they're currently offering), and $5/month (or free if you have the uber package of channels).  Just to be accurate.

-MM

MDR

Finally got back to see how the SA8000 is doing out there.

Iwas getting confused at first, reading the threads and thinking this isn't the same as the box I got.

Mine is one of those without the Firewire. So we do have more than 1 model floating around out there.

I also saw the problem with the unit forgetting the size settings occasionally but haven't really seen a pattern to it.

I've also seen the hiccup with the momentary freeze of the video. I think it's related to the disk buffering and changing channels.
My WINTV PVR shows this same characteristic. TheWINTV also has the time difference between the display on the monitor and the TV. One signal is a direct feed and the other is delayed thru the hard drive.

Over quite satisfied so far. But might as well start beating the dead horse and complain about the anemic IPG for $6.95. Be sure you add a fudge factor to your recording times if there's a chance it's going to run over scheduled times (Packer Games for example).

Let's keep playing and informing the group on all the pros and cons of our new toy! .
Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

yaderhey

So what do you think they mean about the DVI being reserved for future use?

Seems like using it to connect to a receiver would be a good use of a DVI cable, and the technology was in place with the old converter.

I called TWC about this.  Of course, they had no idea what I was talking about, but said a tech support person would get back to me (no response as of yet).