News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC HD

Started by mcneguy, Wednesday Feb 20, 2002, 09:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

Is anyone using the HD box from Time Warner?

RickNeff

Yes, I'm using the Scientific Altlanta Explorer 2000HD cable box from Time-Warner.  I'll admit that the HDTV stuff that viewed is exceptional (the PBS Demo and HBO) but the regular cable portion obviously isn't any different than the regular cable box.

It's rather annoying that WTMJ 4 isn't available yet on the box in HDTV since it would have been rather cool to see the Olympics in HDTV.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Tom Snyder

I used it for one day and sent it back.

The HD channels (HBO and Showtime) were great, but the rest of channels were just awful (compared to DirecTV). I asked TW if I could just get the HD channels and they said no. I couldn't justify $75 to TW and another $70 to DirecTV, so I delivered my box to their customer service.

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mcneguy

I only asked because I have one and while HD is terriffic the lower numbered channels (3-72) are worse than with the digital cable box,  they are worse than an antennae.  I called TWC about this and  they dispatched one of their morons (I mean it too, this guy was so dopey).  He told me that is just a problem with these new boxes and they are working on it.  I also asked him when they are going to provide some actual HD programming and he said that if the network broadcasts it in HD this box will pick it up.  Where do they get these people?

Tom Snyder

The Explorer 2000HD is a jerry-rigged regular digital box, I'm guessing it is just out there because they needed *something,* and are using the reports and complaints to properly engineer the next generation box that Scientific Atlanta is currently are working on (the 3100HD).

When TW Milwaukee gets one of those, I'll try it again, but until then, it's Satellite all the way for me.
Tom Snyder

mcneguy

The 3100HD is currently in use in Tampa so it is out.  I hope that TWC here gets some replacements soon.

RickNeff

I have to agree about the techs that are sent out -- I pretty much had to guide the tech they sent out to hook up my system.

As far as the non-HDTV signals looking bad -- They looked bad with the original digital cable box, so I certainly can't say they looked any worse than before.  We used to have a Dish network dish before moving and the picture was a bit better than what we have with TWC.

If I had a choice (which unfortunately I don't since I'm in an apartment that won't allow a dish) I think that a dish would be the ideal way to go over TWC.  Since you can't get WTMJ 4 with TWC, I missed out on the HDTV feed of the Olympics.  (Of course, other than the "Tonight Show" and some other show I can't recall are the only HDTV stuff that NBC does to my knowledge.  So, normally this wouldn't have been a major loss.)

My biggest concern is TWC being extremely slow to pick up HDTV as other stations in the area start broadcasting.  Not to sound like I'm bashing Milwaukee, but it's rather disappointing that other major cities have a much larger selection of HDTV channels, even on cable, than we do.

------------------
Richard Neff

Tom Snyder

Keep in mind that the top 30 cities had an earlier deadline for Digital... Milwaukee is #32 or so, so our stations don't have to be digital till May of this year... although I believe you'll see some waiver requests, I think all the major network affiliates here will be Digital by the end of this year.

The other issue is that Time Warner is in no hurry to aggressively embrace HiDef.. they've got too many other wolves at their doors.. Tom Sharrard is retiring, they're building a 24 hour news channel, converting over entire neighborhoods and cities to fibre optic to accomodate the tons of Road Runner subscribers, and trying to hire a developer to upgrade their Customer Service intranet knowledge base...

With all of that on their plate is it any surprise they don't care all that much about investing a bunch of money to buy a cranky, condescending, tech-support heavy market segment like us?  
Tom Snyder

RickNeff

Agreed.  I don't blame TWC for being more focused on RoadRunner.  Truthfully, it's one of the few services that they offer that really outshines competition.  Although, I have DSL for technical (ie: cabling reasons) here, most of the people I know use RoadRunner.

It's just a shame is all I'm saying.  It's actually hard for me to stare at the poor "regular" picture especially after looking at the PBS "demo" channel.  Fortunately, I primarily watch the History channel and my wife likes to watch TVLand when we watch TV, so HDTV really wouldn't help either.

For me it's a matter of remembering why I bought this set in the first place: to watch DVDs.  The fact that HDTV is even available is really more icing on the cake.  But, now that I've seen the HDTV picture in my living room obviously makes me want more!

------------------
Richard Neff

mcneguy

I agree.  Probably the worst thing that could have happened to me with this is for TWC to come out with an HD box.  I was in no hurry to buy my own HD STB.  I bought the television so I could watch movies in the correct aspect ratio in 480p so maybe I should just shut up and quit complaining.  I'll keep dreaming of watching the NFL in HD next fall though.

Tom Snyder

NFL Football? Sounds like a new thread in the programming forum....

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 02-21-2002).]
Tom Snyder

sarusk

I'm new here and its great to see something like this.
I'll agree that the box TWC is horrible for the non-HD channels. I just dumped Dish Network in favor of TWC because of the free box, local channels and the promise of local channels as soon as available OTA. Well after reading the posts it looks like I shouldn't expect the channels soon unless I get an antenna.
I cannot find any info about the box they provide (2000HD). It has a digital audio out, but is it Dobly Digital? My non-HD Pioneer box actually says DD on the front but this one doesn't. I will be buying a new receiver soon and wonder what audio capabilities to expect...

[This message has been edited by sarusk (edited 02-23-2002).]

JoeK

I have the TWC HD box and subscribe to HBO. It appears to me that not everything HD is 5.1 and some non-HD is 5.1. The HBO programing site I had bookmarked indicated what was available, but for the moment at least, it's all screwed up. It doesn't even indicate if it's HD. When everything is right the picture and sound is awesome.

Our challenge is to find a way to convince the local Time Warner group that it is in their interest to step up the HD broadcasting. They have to be convinced they will lose out to OTA and Sat if they don't pickup the local channels.

Joe

RickNeff

I'm not sure what you mean by "loose out" to OTA or Sat, since only 1 local station other than PBS actually does do HDTV broadcasts.  Granted, it obviously would have been nice for them to have had WTMJ 4 for the Olympic HD broadcasts, but NBC doesn't really offer that much HD content, regardless if the affliate does.

Time Warner, truthfully, really isn't to blame here, but rather the local stations themselves.  I do think TWC subscribers should continue to complain that the local NBC station isn't on cable in HD and probably about the rather poor non-HD picture in general.

------------------
Richard Neff

mcneguy

Can anyone confirm if you are getting DD through the digital out on the TWC HD box when the programming is DD?

If you want a quick laugh, call TWC customer service and ask them this one.