News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS 46 reception

Started by wozz, Monday Mar 11, 2002, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Just the opposite is true in my case -- SD seems superior to an analog picture in every respect.  I wonder if you're seeing what I've noticed: that video-taped syndicated reruns are often lousy, but first-generation taped, or live video are much better.

If this is not the effect you're referring to, it makes me wonder if your set needs to have different settings for the different sources and signals.  I know that mine are not the same for each set of inputs.

GS kid

I have not seen any CBS primetime shows in HD yet. I've only been watching the CBS signal for 2 days. I just got done taking a quick peek at NCAA basketball in HD with the SD signal on the next channel. My first impression is kinda what somebody else said. It looks really good but doesn't look quite as good as a HD signal with no SD signal eating some of the bandwidth. There also seems to be a little more digital noise artifacts in the background fields then NBC and PBS HD signals. If the bandwidth is really the reason for this issue, then we have a problem. I haven't read everything on HD (there's alot!). But, my guess is they will have to keep the SD signal so that older T.V.'s with a DTV box or new SDTV's can watch the SD signal since they will no longer have an analog signal to fall back on in the future. Is there enough Freq. real estate to give HD the full room it needs, put the SD signal elseware on the Freq. spectrum and just use the mapper to make it appear right next to the HD signal?!?!? Here's what I figure is going to happen. By the time the 2006 deadline approaches (which will most likely get pushed by 1-2 years), HDTV sets and STBs will come down so low that why bother making SDTVs !?!? If people want to insist on using old TVs with a STB to get digital, then I say make ALL STBs able to down-convert HD signals to SD on-the-fly. That way, the station can broadcast in HD without having to simulcast in SD for the poor folks. What do you guys think!?!?

----- GS kid