News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS 46 reception

Started by wozz, Monday Mar 11, 2002, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wozz

Hello all,

I am using the Samsung STB with a RS antenna model #15-1851. I have had very good success recieving channel 4 and 10 ota signal. I am not having as much luck with CBS 46. Sunday night I got a test pattern for 46 on one of the 4 or 5 channels it is occupying. On Monday night I could not get a signal(while 4 and 10 where both coming in fine). I located about 92nd and Dakota and am using a small RS amp between antenna and STB. Any ideas?

Thanx, Wozz

drgingras

wozz;

Don't give up on your antenna yet - I'm not getting any signal here either Anyone else seeing CBS46 tonight ?

Dave

------------------
I kinda thought that might happen ...

Kevin Arnold

Out here in Hartland I'm getting 1-58-46-? with a signal strength of about 70.  Watched King of Queens in HD. All five sub-channels are mapped but 4 are black.  I think 58 is broadcasting at reduced power which means not only weaker, but more multi-path interference.

------------------
Kevin Arnold
38" RCA widescreen w/a Winegard on a rotor.
Kevin Arnold

Joseph S

The power is definitely not cutting it.  I'm getting 60 in Milwaukee. The SDTV broadcast of "The Amazing Race" broke up at least once every segment.

It's not like I'm 60 miles from the antenna and I believe the 82+ of PBS should really be equalled by CBS if not exceeeded. The signal is also varying a lot. NBC and PBS are almost a constant +-1. The CBS signal can range +-8 at any time.

[This message has been edited by Joseph S (edited 03-11-2002).]

Tom Snyder

I got a pretty strong peak signal all night.. upper 60's-low 70's. But every few minutes, it would just drop to zero and freeze the frame or lose the sound.. hard to watch.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

MesaV

My signal meter says 32 for CBS, whereas NBC is 100 and PBS is 92.  I'm using a CM 4228 in the garage attic.  My Sony HD-100 won't lock on to the signal.  I'll gladly swap both NBC and PBS for CBS.

Tom Snyder

Looks like Wednesday night's chat with Jim Hall should be pretty enlightening.. as much for him as it will be for us.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

SteveMiller

Last night I was watching the Monday night line up on CBS on the Sony 34XBR with built in tuner...

I noticed that they were mapping 46.1-46.4, but no information on .2-.4, There must be some compression with the mapping, becouse I noticed quite a lot of noise in the image, granted still way better than analog, but it wasn't as crisp as I remember 1080i to be...

I had alot of audio problems during "The King of Queens", they audio would crackle and stop, and pop in and out of 16:9 to 4:3...

Still it was nice to see some programing....

- Steve

rnelson

Here in Waterford, I'm not getting anything.  I can tell that there is something there, but not even enough to run a signal test.

Roy

drgingras

OK, tonight brought mixed results. I gave up on my non-amplified antenna and spun the amplified CM 4-bay from it's usual Chicago orientation.

The good news is that I saw the entire evening line-up with an 80+ signal. The bad news is that we're obviously dealing with a power reduction.

I tried to look at 4 and 10 with the amplified antenna and the results were what you would expect - horribly over-amplified.

Dave

------------------

Matt Heebner

I actually had to turn my RS double bow-tie ant. 30 degrees to increase CBS's signal to the low 80's. The good news..NBC also went up to the low 90's but... PBS dropped to low 70's.
I think CBS still has minor tweaking to do with signal strength and/or increasing it.

Matt

tenth_t2

Hopefully we can get an update tonight.  I tuned 46 for a while last night, and experienced pretty bad pixelization for the 10 or so minutes I watched just after 7pm.

Maybe I'll see if I can read up on bandwidth requirements of the various broadcast resolutions to ask a better question.

Greg O.

GS kid

Hi! I'm new to this site. I have a Proscan PS38000 38-inch widescreen TV (the same as the RCA F38310). It's a direct view tube model. It has the Directv/STB built-in to the set. I got the direct view 'cuz I like it better in general then projection. I also do the HD hook-up with my XBOX, so screen burn was also a concern. I don't have the $$$ to get a plasma or DLP projection models to avoid the burn-in. I have a Radio Shack indoor High-def antenna that has double-helix resonators for optimum HD reception. It's fairly new and is about $80. It's ideal for people in apartments/condos/dorm rooms. It works great. On a normal night.. the signal levels are as follows from the 1st and Mitchell St. area. NBC=82,PBS=82. AS for CBS... well it's never got higher then 71 for me with an average of 60-65 range. It's a very picky station to pick up strong or at all. I only pick it up above 30 levels in one spot in my room. They seem to be a lower power then the other stations. There also seems to be more digital noise artifacts in the backgrounds at this point then with the other stations. Have yet to see a HD feed on CBS as I only tuned-in as of yesterday. Tommorow I will post the HD line up of PBS for March/April. The website is still under construction. This should help people get tuned-in. I have an inside source at Channel 10/36 that E-mails me the HD listings.

----- GS kid

[This message has been edited by GS kid (edited 03-15-2002).]

Joseph S

The games are almost unwatchable. 1.3 is OK during commercials at best, but certainly not any better than the analog game.

1.2: A complete mess and the game looks  like it is in slow motion
1.4: Artifacts, slow-mo effect, graphics seem to zoom in and out
1.5: Same as 1.4

I've changed my mind. Simulacasting of the NCAA tournament especially at low power is a terrible idea. Give us a different game than analog and just show that.

GS kid

I have a question for anybody out there. When I watch Standard Def. digital channels OTA, it seems to me that the signal is clear in terms of static. That I expected. What I didn't expect is that SD digital always seems to be less sharp then analog in terms of picture quality. It has kind of a slight blurry look to it and the colors seem to be a little washed out like they had the brightness turned up a little too high. It's not a problem with HD broadcasts at all. They are sharp and color perfect. It's not my t.v. settings cuz I keep them the same. It's just, analog looks a little better in color and sharpness then SD digital. SD blows it away in the static and ghosting department though. Clear as a day. Has anbody else noticed this at all? It would seem that up-scanning the signal isn't as painless as I would have thought it would be.

---- GS kid