News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA from Chicago (and Milwaukee)?

Started by SteveClemetson, Tuesday Feb 26, 2002, 08:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveClemetson

My current HD content consists of HBO and PBS via Time Warner.  I'm very seriously considering picking up a OTA STB and an antenna and pointing it toward Chicago -- until local stations are up and running.

Here's the "make or break" question: Is Chicago Fox broadcasting pretty much all content in 480p widescreen (especially "24")?  Also, for non HD content (like the 23 hours a day that Leno isn't on NBC), are things broadcast in 480p?  Is there anything else I should consider for this decision?

There's a degree of urgency, in that I saw an "open box" DTC-100 for $369 and I don't know how long it will be before someone else snatches it up.

Thanks for any info/advice...

mcneguy

Where did you see that STB? (purely for informational purposes, of course)

tenth_t2

While I don't know exactly where you are, Chicago may be a bit of a stretch.  There's another guy (Bill I think) in Muskego that can do Chicago, I can't be more than 5-7 miles from him as the crow flies, and have a much better view of the S-SE skyline than I do of the W skyline.

I get nothing in Chicago, and I'd say that I've tried the best antenna stuff I can get my hands on.  Madison is not to bad (watchable) and once I get the CM 4228 up another 5 feet, I'm hoping those stations will be as good as WTMJ is.

Greg O.

SteveClemetson

mcneguy:  I saw the DTC-100 at American in Waukesha.  The price on it was $349 when I went back in at lunch today.  I did not buy it -- so if you are interested from more than just an informational perspective, it's available.

I did pick up a Toshiba DST-3000 floor model for a measley $309.  I'm absolutely tickled.  Now I need to figure out what type of antenna to go with for a Waukesha attic installation.  I think I'm going to forego trying to pick up Chicago.  I figure I'll have CBS in another 2 weeks and hopefully all the other locals in 2 months.

Steve

mcneguy

Thanks for the info but my wife put the kaibosh on erecting an antenna on the roof of my suburban home.