News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New OTA station?

Started by wysiwyg, Sunday Aug 12, 2012, 03:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wysiwyg

I turned on my DVR this morning to discover it found a new station.  This normally isn't a big deal, since it often picks up fringe stations that are normally too far away to get reception. But this was different. It found a station on Broadcast channel 5, which was mapped to DTV channel 68. It is a Weathernation affiliate with radar centered on Milwaukee.  There's a bug in the lower left identifying the station as WTWN Fond Du Lac Milwaukee. I googled the call letters and found nothing.  Is this a new station that just started up?

Edit: Upon further research, this may be the ressurrection of WWAZ, which was located at analog channel 68 and shut down in 2008 but received FCC approval in 2009 to broadcast on channel 5 from MPTV's tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWAZ-TV#Proposed_move_to_Milwaukee

LoadStar

Not directly related, but whatever happened to WTAS-LP Waukesha? I think (quite a bit) before the analog sunset, they were broadcasting one of the lesser shop at home networks (possibly Gem TV or something like that), then went to transmitting bars and tone. Are they still on and broadcasting anything?

waterhead

I just finally did a re-scan of my MythTV PVR, to make the adjustments for the MeTV/WMLW swap. I also picked up the new channel, WWAZ-TV. For digital OTA it is mapped as 68.1, and is currently showing a weather channel, WeatherNation. It's the type of channel you would normally find on a digital sub channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherNation_TV

There is the logo "WIWN-TV Fond du Lac - Milwaukee" on the lower left, but a search of that brings up nothing.

PONIES

Do you know if this is in HD?

Weather Nation is distributed nationwide in HD via the SES-2 satellite @ 87 degrees West on C Band; its frequency is 3736 V 14400

Since it looks like they've got a whole ATSC channel to themselves if this new affiliate isn't in native HD then this is the latest example of affiliate incompetence in the Milwaukee area.

waterhead

Quote from: PONIES;58787Do you know if this is in HD?
Why don't you just tune it in and check it yourself?

Quote from: PONIES;58787Since it looks like they've got a whole ATSC channel to themselves if this new affiliate isn't in native HD then this is the latest example of affiliate incompetence in the Milwaukee area.

This is the type of stupid attitude that drove me away from these forums in the first place.

Goodbye!

PONIES

Quote from: waterhead;58788Why don't you just tune it in and check it yourself?

Because I'm too lazy to re-adjust my antenna to point towards Milwaukee.

Quote from: waterhead;58788This is the type of stupid attitude that drove me away from these forums in the first place.

Goodbye!

And goodbye to you as well, sir.

If you have a problem with the users of a website called MilwaukeeHDTV expecting their affiliates to broadcast in HD, then you clearly don't belong here in the first place.

jjallou

Quote from: PONIES;58790Because I'm too lazy to re-adjust my antenna to point towards Milwaukee.

And goodbye to you as well, sir.

If you have a problem with the users of a website called MilwaukeeHDTV expecting their affiliates to broadcast in HD, then you clearly don't belong here in the first place.

So if your antenna doesn't point at Milwaukee why bother with a MilwaukeeHDTV forum?

I seem to recall you getting booted off of this forum........

ArgMeMatey

Sorry to interrupt.  

Those wishing to personally critique each other and their respective opinions, please create a new thread in the "off topic" forum.  That, or the Craigslist "rants" section, is a better place to exercise ones ego.  

Now can we get back to the topic at hand?  Thanks.

Jack 1000

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;58795Sorry to interrupt.  

Those wishing to personally critique each other and their respective opinions, please create a new thread in the "off topic" forum.  That, or the Craigslist "rants" section, is a better place to exercise ones ego.  

Now can we get back to the topic at hand?  Thanks.

+1.  Thanks!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

wysiwyg

Weathernation on 68 is now airing in widescreen (not sure about HD) and the PSIP station ID has been corrected to WIWN.

larsob

WITI6fan

So is this channel going to do anything more than be Useless Weather Subchannel #3?

You know, if this is all it's going to do we should all pitch in and buy the thing and make it useful.

PONIES

Well, as it's not a subchannel and it is full native 1080i high definition now, I'd say this channel is going to be the Useful Primary Free HD Weather Channel #1.

This will make a great replacement for the cable only Weather Channel HD.

wysiwyg

According to the recently updated Wikipedia page, the station's call letters stand for "WIsonsin's Weather Nation", so I doubt it will be airing much else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIWN

jrh1985

Does anyone know what time weathernation goes on the air on weekends???

Thanks