News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenier

Quote from: Jack 1000;59970Did you call in to report the search issue?  No problems with the legacy SA-8300HDC here.  What happens when you try a search?  

I didn't call in to report the search issue. I know how that call would go, they'd reboot the box, that wouldn't work and then they'd schedule a tech. The tech would come out an want to swap out the box. I don't really have the time or the patience to go through the frustration of dealing with that again. Especially when I know it's not a box issue. I even told the person at the TWC direct forums that others were having the same issue, it didn't matter, he suggested a box swap.  

My search is working now. What was happening was, I'd press the B button and there'd be a delay of twenty seconds or so before either the unavailable message popped up or nothing at all would happen.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Might have been a mild update last night,

Powered on TV and box to a blank screen and was forced to cold reboot to get my cable TV back.  Anybody else?  First reboot in many, many months.

I think they are working on something.  Universal Line Up is coming.

I really hope you guys with the modern boxes get the B search button back where it started the search on the show being watched or in the Time Grid.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

There was a software update last night:

Legacy boxes (SA-8300HDC) got some small menu changes, but the newer boxes have more things added.  Some divisions reported a speed slowdown with this update, but on my SA-8300HDC, I have not noticed a speed change.

Jack

ddeerrff

Noticed the guide change and the indication of what is set to record.  Haven't played with anything else yet (my wife controls the TV most of the day :)) so can't comment on any change in speed or feel.

grenier

It was really sluggish when I first turned on the box but it's back to normal now.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

This is what's different for those still with an SA-8300HDC for ODN 7.3

1.) A small dot appears next to a recorded show in the classic DVR Show List and the Time Grid.
2.) Responses seem to be faster in searching.
3.) Still "Search by Title" only for the keyboard, but the B button category search has moved way off to the left, as if perhaps something might be coming in the next release or by the time we get to ODN 7.5 or even an ODN 8.0.
4.) No Truncation of Categories. Fonts now say the full name of the type of category search listed above the search page.
5.) VOD search is now replaced with a "Press Info to View" in show titles. A spinning circle with dots now replaces the horizontal square lines. VOD seems to be more reliable. "Knock on Wood."
6.) Some divisions do not have the expanded search or I don't think the new DVR List even with the modern boxes. I think Nebraska is one of them.
7.) Box defaults to 480p on power off.
8.) Guide Filtering now places the options (Favorites, High Definition, Subscribed, All inside of a graphic box.)
9.) Guide Filtering also shows the name of the filter selected even if All channels (the default) is used.
10.) Simple, no frills experience. BUT it works, and although there is sometimes a slight "Please Wait" between Category Search Horizontal Scrolling, it's never intolerable.

*What I have heard from other divisions with the newer boxes and where expanded search has been implemented.

• The expanded search options are not all that great, and in some instances are too slow.
  •    North Carolina subs have had noted slowdowns and guide lag with this release, 2-3 second delays between Navigation and Results.
  •    You have to click and select too many menu "trees" in searching and DVR show lists.
  •    VOD box cover art is "Eye Candy" and nothing more.
  •    Expanded Search sometimes comes up "not available."

Jack

Jack 1000

Navigator Updates Coming:

I asked someone at TWC if they could share what developments are in store for the guide.  This is what I was told:

Boxes that have the Advanced Search-"The B button is going to be able to take you to the show being watched or selected in the Time Grid in the next release!"  He said this feature will  have a toggle option, (on/off?) He did not go into specifics there.

Boxes with advanced search are going to have the  filters dropped-  The default  for the keyboard will be "All". This means that whatever you type into the keyboard, if it's in the system, it should be able to find it

The Advanced Search is still being tested for legacy boxes-He said it could be several months before they would know if it would be part of this next release.

The feedback for the new folder lists in DVR Manager-
Has been so positive that TWC is thinking of bringing it to legacy boxes.  This is largely because customers like to be able to do multiple deletes and on the classic boxes you have to delete each show or series one by one.  I said some customers found the folder management harder to use, and he said that they are working on making that function easier.

Satch

Jack 1000

TWC Guide Update For Modern (Non SA)-Boxes

Several updates to the guide last night notably the following:

• Easier to read fonts in the Time Grid
  • Expanded Time Grid Guide Filters.  (Press Guide Button Twice.)
  • Easier DVR Management Screens
  • B-Button now starts searches on show being watched in settings or selected in Guide (Like the legacy boxes.) This can be turned off in Settings.
  • Common Sense Media ratings for movies and shows in searches.
Critique: Some search results are still not holding on the Keyboard.  For example, I can still only find live Boxing Shows using the STB keyboard on Sunday through Tuesday of any week.  See this thread for details:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Jack

Jack 1000

Guys,

Wisconsin got a Navigator Guide software update on the ADSG (advanced boxes) last night.  Versions are:

Arris Models
Cisco/Technicolor Models
Samsung Models

Some cool features

A Quick Access Menu that allows you access to most commonly used DVR settings- This turns on with the box.  (Some customers would like this to have a toggle button to be turned off in settings.)

The ability to reboot your box in Settings without having to unplug it.

Expanded Searching and Filtering Options for Shows.

A Kids channel Portal

For more information about the new guide, go here:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Satch

ddeerrff

Hey Jack.  Thought this forum was dead long ago.  Surprised to get the posting notification.

I'm on vacation, sounds like I will have at least a small learning curve when I get home. 

Derf

skier8734

For me the new guide is the slowest crappiest guide they've come out with yet.  Everything takes 10x longer than it did before and it is really hard to get the dvr fast forward to stop in the right place.

Jack 1000

Quote from: skier8734 on Wednesday Apr 05, 2017, 07:34:50 PM
For me the new guide is the slowest crappiest guide they've come out with yet.  Everything takes 10x longer than it did before and it is really hard to get the dvr fast forward to stop in the right place.

What's up Skier?

What's the make and model of your box?  I haven't had any slowdowns that I have noticed.  However, I have had issues with the Search system occasionally coming up with "Not available.  Try again later."  Than, a few moments later it works.

As for getting the DVR to stop in the right place.  Check DVR Compensation in settings.  This controls the amount of jump back when you are fast-forwarding-rewinding your shows and you want the DVR to stop at a certain place.  I have mine set for "Less."  I believe that options are "More", "Less", "Normal" and "Off."  If you turn off the DVR Compensation, the DVR should (knock on wood.) stop at the place where you want.

Jack

skier8734

I have a Samsung H3270.  The compensation settings are set just the software is to slow to respond to the remote click.  Also, when I try to watch something from the dvr especially if I'm just starting program late the box spends 20-30 seconds "updating show settings" and on a few occasions will flat out tell me my recording isn't available right now.

ddeerrff

There was some discussion about moving the record function from the box to 'the cloud'.  I too have noticed the new messages when starting a playback and it may be that the recording is no longer local. 

skier8734

Possible but I'd think that if it were on the cloud it wouldn't show % of the hard drive used anymore.