News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Pany DMP BD10 / DTS-HD 7.1

Started by RCNUT, Thursday Sep 04, 2008, 10:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCNUT

Hello,
Does any of you have an Panasonic BD10?  I know it decodes DTS-HD 5.1 but will it decode DTS-HD 7.1?? I have been trying Coaxial, Optical and HDMI. I have a disk that is in 7.1 LPCM and the HDMI works fine. Also X-Men the last stand in DTS-EX 6.1 and that works too, but no DTS-HD 7.1. I thought that one of the upgrades took care of the DTS-HD. I have not tried separate analogs yet. I have done all the software upgrades from pany.
Thanks

gparris

Quote from: RCNUT;47986Hello,
Does any of you have an Panasonic BD10?  I know it decodes DTS-HD 5.1 but will it decode DTS-HD 7.1?? I have been trying Coaxial, Optical and HDMI. I have a disk that is in 7.1 LPCM and the HDMI works fine. Also X-Men the last stand in DTS-EX 6.1 and that works too, but no DTS-HD 7.1. I thought that one of the upgrades took care of the DTS-HD. I have not tried separate analogs yet. I have done all the software upgrades from pany.
Thanks

I have the Panasonic BD10 model and it decodes only the DTS-HD core (1.5Mbps) and DTS-HD HR (High Resolution, (up to 3Mbps I belieive), though it is seldom used, as in the BD version of the original "Stargate" movie.

However, I do get PCM 7.1 output on BD's that offer it from my HDMI output using this player to my Denon AVR-4306 receiver and that is all anyone of us owners of this player will ever get, sorry.

-I have since moved my PS3 gaming unit to the same main viewing room to get my movies in DTS-HD MA 7.1 and it sounds good, though, don't dismiss the Panasonic BD10 based on this one limitation.;)

RCNUT

Thanks for the reply,
It's too bad that when Pany did the DTS-HD upgrade that they didn't include 7.1, as there's was one of the few that had 7.1 outputs. I talked to guy at pany (Seth) late yesterday and he said he would pass it on, however with it being an older player it's anybodies guess if engineering will do anything. Mines will be 2 yrs in Nov. I guess that old for electronics. Anyway I also found something thats has a chart on what BD players decode what.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507

It kinda stinks that I upgraded to a Denon 3808 with an B&K 200.7 S2 amp and cannot take advantage of its full Capacity. Even if the BD-10 would pass it through (coaxial or doslink) I believe the 3808 would decode it.

gparris

Coaxial Digital using RCA jacks or Toslink (optical fiber) digital max out at 1.509 Mbps for DTS and 640Kbps for Dolby Digital, so any TRUEHD and DTSHD would not "fit" anyway through those limited "pipes".
Analogue connections for the 7.1 would seem to be a natural progression for the BD10, which seems to be the last for those type connections for Panasonic BD products, at least for now as the BD30 and BD50 do not have them, but they do pass the bitstream HD codecs for decoding in more advanced AVRs like the one you have.
IF I were you, I would see the BD10 and use the funds for at least a sale priced BD30 as your AVR decodes the Dolby TRUEHD and DTSHDMA via HDMI.