News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

External SATA disk for 8300HDC

Started by sherveyj, Sunday Aug 03, 2008, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherveyj

I was investigating an increased storage option for my 8300HDC.  Some of these posting are old regarding external SATA disks.  Does this work?  I called Time Warner to see what there stance was and they said "it is not supported" and probably won't work.  There are posting that says it works depending what version of software the DVR has SARA or Navigator?  Any bad experience or annoying things the external SATA option introduces - if it works?  Also anyone have any good tips/stories on recording the content of the DVR to CD/DVD?   Slingbox? ... any cool ideas?  Jeff S.

Bigdog

I tried it about 8 months ago with a Seagate 500GB drive I installed into an eSATA enclosure and it never did see the drive.  I never could get it to work so installed the drive into a PC.

I wish they would have a central DVR which could be accessed from any set top box in the house.

johno

I connected a 500GB esata drive to my SA8300HDC a few weeks ago.  The drive was recognized and worked for a short time.  However, the SA box frooze after a few hours of inactivity.  The problem is well documented on the AVS Forums website as a "sleep mode" bug.  Recently some TWC subsribers around the country have claimed the problem is fixed with the latest Navigator/ODN upgrades.  Patiently waiting for TWC Milwaukee to upgarde my box.

duncantuna

There's an interesting data table of 8300s and eSata combinations.  Looks like a couple people in Milwaukee got it working:

http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/xnappo/navigator

sherveyj

Is there a way of checking what navigator version your running - i'm guessing besides a reboot.

johno

The way I get to the diagonstics page is to press "SEL" on the remote for several seconds until the mail icon appears on the box and then press the Down Arrow on the remote....within a few seconds you should see the diagnostics page 1 displaying the software version information.

sherveyj

Cool - Diagnostics work... I'm running ODN 2.4.9_3   2008/01/24
Johno - Is this the software you have been waiting for?  The link to the list of SATA test people in Milwaukee show an older version... 2.4.1_92 but some with 2.4.9_3

johno

I'm currently running the same version....I believe the update is ODN 2.4.10_11.  Take a look at this message board for lots of insight on the subject.....http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723830&highlight=sa+8300+navigator

As soon a I receive an upgrade I'll post the result.

sherveyj

2.4.10_11 update has occurred on my DVR.   Getting a 500MB from newegg WD My DVR Expander.

johno

Just returned fron vacation today and my SA8300hdc software has been updated....will report back on functionability of external drive in next couple of days.

johno

After 24 hours of operation the dreaded sleep mode has not raised it's ugly head.  Recording and playback are working normally...fingers crossed that the 2.4.10-11 update has fixed the external drive issues.  BTW I am using an Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-500e external 500GB drive.

sherveyj

Day 2 with  WD "My DVR Expander" 500GB.  I started with a 95% full DVR from Time Warner.  After plugging in the WD 500GB I have 20% full now. Cool!  No problems as of yet.