News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Blu-ray Player Under $300

Started by Bebop, Saturday May 17, 2008, 12:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Ralph Kramden

gparris

At this price, you could get the PS3 with a SonyCard and it is a way-better BD machine, as well as a gaming, internet access and so on the PS3, including the way it "morphs" into the more advanced BD features now available:
Something this player lacks-Profile 2.0 and DTS-HD MA output.
OR....
Save your money and find a way to get a open box BD player like a friend of mine got from BB (under $300) or even the Sony 300 model from the Sony Outlet Center in Kenosha for under $270, fully warranted and refurbished.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

It is my understanding that Samsung, as is usual (?) with them, requires an update with this new model before the 2.0 is available, including DTS-HD MA with this...right?:blush:t

vegasvic

Hopefully they fall below $200 by the holidays.  Personally I couldn't care less about BD-Live.  I just want to watch movies in HD.  Give me the best picture and sound and forget the other bells & whistles.  And get the disc prices down as well.

klwillis45

Quote from: vegasvic;46387Hopefully they fall below $200 by the holidays.  Personally I couldn't care less about BD-Live.  I just want to watch movies in HD.  Give me the best picture and sound and forget the other bells & whistles.  And get the disc prices down as well.
Exactly how I feel.

Ralph Kramden

I won't buy one until they're below $150. I paid $129 for my HD-A2. And I agree the movie prices are still too expensive.

Matt Heebner

Agreed.
They are going to seriously drop prices considerably for me to even think about getting a BR player. And movie prices are going to have drop to DVD prices for me to consider buying favorites.
I can wait for now.....

Bebop

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;46407I won't buy one until they're below $150. I paid $129 for my HD-A2. And I agree the movie prices are still too expensive.

There was a reason HD-A2 was so cheap. We are not going to get a quality player like that so cheap anytime soon. Other than few reference quality movies, I rent all my movies. The price of movies has never been an issue.

I'll probably end up getting a PS3.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SRW1000

Quote from: Bebop;46512There was a reason HD-A2 was so cheap. We are not going to get a quality player like that so cheap anytime soon. Other than few reference quality movies, I rent all my movies. The price of movies has never been an issue.

I'll probably end up getting a PS3.
There's a rumor going around that if you buy a PS3 at Walmart from 6/1-6/6, they'll throw in a $100 Blu-ray gift card.  It's uncertain if it's just a gift card with Blu-ray advertising on it (most likely), or if you have to use it on Blu-ray stuff.

If analog output isn't important, or you have any interest in PS3 games, that's not a half-bad price.

It would be real nice to see a mainstream-priced BD player, though.

Scott

Bebop

Quote from: SRW1000;46515There's a rumor going around that if you buy a PS3 at Walmart from 6/1-6/6, they'll throw in a $100 Blu-ray gift card.  It's uncertain if it's just a gift card with Blu-ray advertising on it (most likely), or if you have to use it on Blu-ray stuff.

If analog output isn't important, or you have any interest in PS3 games, that's not a half-bad price.

It would be real nice to see a mainstream-priced BD player, though.

Scott

I seen that ad (if it's real) and along with the $100 from the Sony card it's not a bad deal.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

OlsonNet

Walmart.com has both the PS3 and the $299 Magnavox Blu-ray player w/ the free $100 gift card this week.

gparris

The Sony  Outlet at the Prime Outlet mall in Pleasant Prairie (Kenosha) has had the BDP-S300  Sony BD player for $258 for some time and from what I have heard from buyers, a decent player unless you want Dolby TRUEHD/DTSHDMA playback.
For those with AVRs that do not have HDMI or advanced decoding features, the picture playback is great and it does send out LPCM 5.1 audio.

Bebop

PS3 is an excellent BR player in the one week I have had it. It outputs 1080 24p which my TV has no problem accepting.  It loads very fast.

If you still have an old 5.1 audio, the optical out works fine.

On the rental front. BB now has a distribution center in Milwaukee. The turn around is as fast as Netflix. It's also nice to exchange up to 2 movies at your local store.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun